2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

Well, if you only ask people who worked with him to rate him they are surely not going to give cruelly hard critique. In public. He’ll make it. He is better then say a Stroll or Latifi imho.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

I think Bottas was lucky today. Had he maintained his 2nd or 4th place at the starts he would have had his hands full all race against not only Verstappen but Perez. The pace Perez ran today was classic W10.

siskue2005

mzso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:27
fritticaldi wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:52
Mick Schumacher will be involved in the F2 final race also at Sakhir where he has a 14 point lead in the Championship standings. So that makes him unavailable as well.
So? It's not like the races run at the same time.
but to race two races in a single weekend is not possible, race preparations etc
cant be done simultaneously, coz Feature races starts 2 hours before FP1, Sprint race starts 2 hours before the f1 qualifying

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:25
TAG wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:48
The driver's salary cap question should be well put to rest after this.
Haha this is a verbatim quote of what crofty said. One of the most legitimately stupid things I've heard him say (and it's a long list)
Because of the accident? I think a lot of people don't have the context of the salary cap and why it's controversial. Just 1 small example, drivers have to pay for their super license, and the cost is determined based on the number of WDC points they scored in the previous year. This would mean that with a salary cap in place the WDC would "take-home" less than a driver who scored zero points... just one small thing they need to "iron out".

There are various other issues around commercial rights, most drivers are restricted in being able to make their own revenue due to their contracts, the sponsorship deals prevent them from doing certain things and also commit them to various different sponsor related things. If there's a cap on a driver's salary, there probably needs to be a cap on the revenue the teams & sponsors can generate using the driver or a complete rethink on how the contracts and sponsorship work. Perhaps any revenue generated from sponsor logos displayed on the driver's helmet and overalls should be paid directly to the driver in addition to their salary? Anytime the driver's image is used in an advert... who should be paid for that?

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:34
nzjrs wrote:
TAG wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:48
The driver's salary cap question should be well put to rest after this.
Haha this is a verbatim quote of what crofty said. One of the most legitimately stupid things I've heard him say (and it's a long list)
Because of the accident?
Yeah, exactly in describing the accident! He really is a joke.

I agree with the spirit of the rest of your post by the way, it is a multifaceted question, but omg crofty, just omg.

mzso
mzso

Sieper wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 00:48
If they have Wehrlein, why not him. Very good driver imho.
Based on what? The only thing I remember about him is that he missed his would be first race because of crashing at the race of champions.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:37

I agree with the spirit of the rest of your post by the way, it is a multifaceted question, but omg crofty, just omg.
I don't watch the Sky coverage, his commentary is terrible so it doesn't surprise me. The C4 team has DC + MW, two recent drivers, and we've had Ben Edwards who's brilliant... although he's leaving this year :cry:

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:41
nzjrs wrote:

I don't watch the Sky coverage, his commentary is terrible so it doesn't surprise me. The C4 team has DC + MW, two recent drivers, and we've had Ben Edwards who's brilliant... although he's leaving this year :cry:
Yeah, I pay for f1tv but only watch the pit lane channel. In case you didn't know the English f1tv has the sky coverage which means all of the English world has to endure crofty. But really, the pit lane channel, which is an alternative commentary and visual 'stream' / channel in the app, is absolutely awesome.

Genrally I watch the Austrian coverage because of Alexander Wurz but I do try to catch the c4 highlights when I can.

smellybeard
smellybeard

Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:41
Ben is very good - and was very good with Watson on Eurosport but the others give my arse a headache.
Don't mention the presenter fella...

fritticaldi

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:33
mzso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:27
fritticaldi wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:52
Mick Schumacher will be involved in the F2 final race also at Sakhir where he has a 14 point lead in the Championship standings. So that makes him unavailable as well.
So? It's not like the races run at the same time.
but to race two races in a single weekend is not possible, race preparations etc
cant be done simultaneously, coz Feature races starts 2 hours before FP1, Sprint race starts 2 hours before the f1 qualifying
Totally agree.

Sieper

mzso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:40
Sieper wrote:
Based on what? The only thing I remember about him is that he missed his would be first race because of crashing at the race of champions.
Based on my remembering his actual efforts in F1.

Why always those stupid attitude messages. Not you alone but just as a way of communicating people use here. Have some decency and just reply with what you think. I have spoken my opinion on him, just give yours. Now I already know it of course but packed in a snide remark. Uncalled for and not liked one bit.

smellybeard
smellybeard

Wehrlein is a great driver - a driver who scored points in cars that others couldn't.

e30ernest
e30ernest

nzjrs wrote:
Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:34
nzjrs wrote:

Because of the accident?

I thought the discussion on the salary cap was just Ted re-hashing something Karun and Di Resta said after the crash too?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 18:25
Mogster wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 18:22
El Scorchio wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 18:02
Sky said there was talk it was the fuel feeder or collection pipe (or similar) that got punctured or severed. They thought if it was the whole tank it would have been an even bigger fireball.
Surely the fire was too big for it to have been caused by a couple of pints of fuel. The Sky team said someone at the scene reported the whole area being covered in petrol, there were pools of it on the ground.
100kg of petrol wouldn't be put out by a couple of hand held fire extinguishers. It would need a full fire appliance to deal with that much fuel. Trust me, they'#d use every hand held extinguisher on the track to put out 100kgs of fuel.

2 litres of petrol (nearly half a gallon) is a lot of fuel.

Much of the fluid on the floor will have been coolant.
though i don't fully agree to how hand held fire extinguishers couldn't 'end' a good load of fuel,
it depends whether all the fuel has been 'ignited' and part of the burning process. Basically though
you are absolutely right.

As goes for the 2 litres of petrol too, especially concidering the fuel F1 cars use is not the same as what
you get from your regular fueling station, and probably is more flammable.

imagine taking your 2 litre bottle of cola, filling it up with gasoline, leave the top off, have a firestone next to it and throwing it with excessive speed into a parked convertible. that'll be a good burn.

anyway, can't believe how lucky and fortunate grosjean was.
Not only could he have been hit by debris in an unhappy fashion just moments before the collision,
but to get veered so fast into that barrier and come out of it alive is just a miracle.

the halo guaranteed saved his life, if there was no halo, he would have gotten stuck right in the middle of that barrier, unable to escape and as such trapped into a ball of fire and flames, despite getting extinguished pretty swiftly (i'm not saying perfect but still swift), that might have been enough to atleast have lauda effects.
Not just that, but the metal barrier could much more likely have cut into him when not protected by the halo,
causing even more worrysome and gruesome injury.

The halo most certainly has saved his life.
I'm still baffled by the whole incident, that includes that he actually literally went through the barriers.

I get cold still watching that wrangled remains of the monocoque and how he got out alive.
And yes, if he got in just a few more degrees downward it could have been so much worse, making it far more difficult perhaps even impossible to escape the cockpit, caught in a blazing ball of fire.
or, worse, if the impact/crash would have injured his feet or legs in such fashion that he could not use his legs to climb out of the car.

you could see just how hot that inferno was by the medical car driver that tried to get to grosjean as fast as he could but was 'shielded' by the heat of the fire, where Grosjean was in the complete middle of.

Baffled he got out with only 'minor' burns to his hands and feet.

Artery injury due to extreme peak G decelleration, bruised or broken ribs, bruised, broken or even cut feet or legs,
broken fingers, hands, wrists or arms, deep cuts by the fence metal, pierced or crushed helmet, severe burns to the face, neck, body. broken neck or spine, the severity of the impact could easily have caused any of these injuries.

curious who will race in his place, i have trouble believing he is going to participate in the 2nd Bahrain GP.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Sieper wrote:
Excellent driver, better than at least 5 current F1 drivers, but contracted to Porsche, is he still connected to Ferrari?