HALO Approved for 2018

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: HALO Approved for 2018

subcritical71 wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:09
bucker wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 17:19
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Would Grosjean escape from this today? I think not. Thanks for Halo
If the windscreen stayed intact during the impact
That's the big question, isn't it? Is a big lump of titanium better at deflecting steel than a piece of poly(methyl methacrylate)? I think I'd rather take my chances with the titanium.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

subcritical71

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:37
subcritical71 wrote:
bucker wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 17:19
https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... _HiRes.jpg

Would Grosjean escape from this today? I think not. Thanks for Halo
That's the big question, isn't it? Is a big lump of titanium better at deflecting steel than a piece of poly(methyl methacrylate)? I think I'd rather take my chances with the titanium.
If I’m not mistaken, the final aero screen, or more specifically the support structure behind the poly screen, is to the same FIA spec as the halo.

subcritical71

subcritical71 wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 19:37
subcritical71 wrote:

If I’m not mistaken, the final aero screen, or more specifically the support structure behind the poly screen, is to the same FIA spec as the halo. So the differentiator in this case may well be the protection the poly screen affords after the crash (if it stays intact). This could allow rescue workers time to respond to an unconscious driver which from the sudden stop GRO experienced I'm surprised wasn't the case here. It could also be a detriment if the driver cannot escape through the top.

El Scorchio

The halo 100% proved its worth today and saved a man’s life. I was critical at the time but I now think it’s a wonderful invention. Without it we are talking about the sad loss of a driver.

Scorpaguy

I posted this in the race thread...but should have done so here:

"I hope the FIA is keeping a close tab on these incidents and analyzing the "what-ifs"...and not simply drinking their pro or con HALO Kool-Aid. Gros was saved by his HALO today...Jules would likely be alive. However, had Stroll's car caught fire today...or Hulk's a bit back, I believe outcomes would have been different...as both were in their cars a good bit more than 20 seconds (albeit Lance was not as incentivized as was Gros...Hulk did fear he was on fire and could not get out).

FIA needs to constantly be evaluating these incidents and analyzing different scenarios to perfect these driver protections. Today, I am grateful Gros is still with us and thank God we had the HALO."

astracrazy

It saved his life today 100%. It has already saved potential major injury too in Spa 2018 when Alonso's car hit the halo and not Leclerc's head.

Nico's crash - he even admitted himself he wasn't sure if the Halo was even in his way (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... prix-crash) and the car did catch fire with that one. All be in no where near today.

Stroll crash today - non issue, he was able to escape easily. Easiest of the three.

Grosjean by far had the hardest escape of all three in the worst circumstances and was able to do so.

Could it be made easier? I have always been surprised they haven't looked into the sides being able to release if needed.

Personally though I think the focus of investigation from todays will be the barriers. That should not happen in 2020.

Jolle

astracrazy wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:48
It saved his life today 100%. It has already saved potential major injury too in Spa 2018 when Alonso's car hit the halo and not Leclerc's head.

Nico's crash - he even admitted himself he wasn't sure if the Halo was even in his way (https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... prix-crash) and the car did catch fire with that one. All be in no where near today.

Stroll crash today - non issue, he was able to escape easily. Easiest of the three.

Grosjean by far had the hardest escape of all three in the worst circumstances and was able to do so.

Could it be made easier? I have always been surprised they haven't looked into the sides being able to release if needed.

Personally though I think the focus of investigation from todays will be the barriers. That should not happen in 2020.
In the medical car are cutters to cut the halo in seconds when needed. Any pivot or panel etc that can be removed is also a weak point.
Worst case, fire and an unconscious and trapped driver -> put out flames, then stabilise driver in the cockpit -> cut him out.

astracrazy

Jolle wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 00:09
astracrazy wrote:

In the medical car are cutters to cut the halo in seconds when needed. Any pivot or panel etc that can be removed is also a weak point.
Worst case, fire and an unconscious and trapped driver -> put out flames, then stabilise driver in the cockpit -> cut him out.
I didn't know that, thanks

thestig84

astracrazy wrote:

You simply cannot say it 100% saved his life. I am very thankful for it being fitted today but we won't continue to learn by guessing it 100% saved him. What if barrier actually got caught on halo leading central pillar and actually pulled him in!? I am not saying this happened but we need to still investigate in case there is along those lines to learn and improve.

void

I was thinking here, if this crash were in lap two or any other, how could it end? The nearest track marshal shoot the fire extinguisher to far from the car and even far from cockpit.

i70q7m7ghw

I think it's fair to say he would likely have been seriously injured without the halo. He was very lucky, I don't think anyone imagined a scenario like this when the halo was conceived, and this was certainly pushing it to the limit of its capability. As thestig84 mentioned, a piece of the barrier could still have entered the cockpit around the halo and injured him, but I don't think this is a failure of the halo as it was never designed for such an accident.

My question is, why isn't there tecpro in front of every solid metal barrier?

Jolle

Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:07
I think it's fair to say he would likely have been seriously injured without the halo. He was very lucky, I don't think anyone imagined a scenario like this when the halo was conceived, and this was certainly pushing it to the limit of its capability. As thestig84 mentioned, a piece of the barrier could still have entered the cockpit around the halo and injured him, but I don't think this is a failure of the halo as it was never designed for such an accident.

Because of angles (the tecpro). If you have a guard rail next to a straight, and you catch it with the side of the car at 300 km/h... think Bottas last year but worse...

i70q7m7ghw

Jolle wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:11
Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:07

Because of angles (the tecpro). If you have a guard rail next to a straight, and you catch it with the side of the car at 300 km/h... think Bottas last year but worse...
You mean when he hit the end of it in Mexico? I think in that situation, they need to have the tecpro wrapping around or "overlapping" into the barrier so an end is never exposed like that.

Sieper

thestig84 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 00:30
astracrazy wrote:

You simply cannot say it 100% saved his life. I am very thankful for it being fitted today but we won't continue to learn by guessing it 100% saved him. What if barrier actually got caught on halo leading central pillar and actually pulled him in!? I am not saying this happened but we need to still investigate in case there is along those lines to learn and improve.
I was also against the halo originally. For esthetica reasons, but am glad we have it now. It helps. But the airbox intake is also part of the monoque. It was still complete. I think that played an much more important role still. The car snapped round and the backside of the monoque took the brunt. Clever Carbon engineer did a lot of the saving today. The halo must have helped. It was scraped. But that could have been the outer aero lining. In any case, we need more safety. Today we dodged a horror story.

subcritical71

void wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:02
I was thinking here, if this crash were in lap two or any other, how could it end? The nearest track marshal shoot the fire extinguisher to far from the car and even far from cockpit.
I also though what the hell was the first marshal doing. But the second Marshall from the other side of the track had the Armco protecting him from the heat a bit more. You could see the medical delegate push into the fire and bounce back from the heat. The guy on the other side definitely brought a knife to a gun fight, but 1) he was probably using what he was given, 2) the heat would have been intense with nothing blocking that heat on that side of the barrier (although whatever he was spraying didn’t even flash, must have been foam?!?)