[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This is true. It should be ours now but you never know. But to add one more thing into the mix, will Perez take a penalty for taking a new engine? More I guess if he needs other parts, which given the fire damage, I guess he will need.

Edit: Wowsers, how reliable has this years engines been for all the teams, everyone is within their alloted number of parts this season, until Perez next week.

https://www.f1-fansite.com/2020-f1-seas ... -elements/
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Darth-Piekus

mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:54
Darth-Piekus wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:49
mwillems wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 21:54

I was talking about the season, not the race, and the fact that if there were 2 Perez then 3rd would have been wrapped up for RP a long time back.
Yes but consider that it goes both ways. If we had two Sainz for example. Personally I would love if Perez would try a second time to Mclaren.
Norris has 86 points to Sainz 85, I don't think it is the same situation.
Stroll has had some bad luck. But where he has been able to make his own result, it has more often been poorer than better. His current run of form is crucial in this fight for third place, so in my view he has cost RP that position. Makes me feel for Perez even more, I've always thought he was a fantastic driver. I wished he'd have come back to Mclaren at some point.

Edit: I just looked and Perez has nearly double Strolls points. And that is including the extra races he was off with Covid-19 and the fact that for 2 races Stroll had a superior car. Stroll has no excuse, he started the season well and became as lame as ever. Thankfully.
It's true but consider how many points Norris and Sainz lost over this year and in some occasions from Stroll. In my opinion though Racing Point should not have been in the game as they were punished lightly for that copying controversy. They should praise god that they are still in that game. Imagine if they were punished like Mclaren on the Spygate.

mwillems

I did and then moved past it because that happened to everyone, Stroll certainly had plenty of bad luck. But Strolls poor performance compared to our better performing Norris was the difference that propelled us to third I feel. To put it another way, if Lando and Carlos raced for RP, they'd have wrapped up third, and if Perez and Stroll raced for us, I suspect we'd be right back with Renault and Stroll would lose his seat next year.

Listen, I'm not saying we haven't earned this current third spot, I'm saying we are not the third fastest car, but 4th in my opinion marginally ahead of Renault, but we probably are the third best Team. The car is improving year on year and I like that, but it's been a long time since as a team we have been well rounded, competent and efficient (bar some pit stop slip ups). There is a more significant jump in team performance than there was in the car, and it should be noted. We are a strong organisation now, a well run and high performance outfit pointing in the right direction.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

Big Tea wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:52
Slightly concerned with the performance comparison Renault engine car V Mercedes engine cars. Are they making a move at the wrong tine?
How so? Because of reliability or performance?
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:Racing Point has been screwed over really hard this season no doubt about that, but it's not like McLaren has been touched by the hand of god either. The team has also lost a lot of points over the course of the year.

You have to feel bad for RP today though, because their race was destroyed by situations that were out of their control. However, that doesn't mean that you should undervalue what you got in return from their misfortune. It could have very well been McLaren the one who suffered today and I have no doubt that if that were the case the other two (three) teams would have definitely "celebrated" over it.

At the end of the day, the final position in the standings is what matters. The prize is given for your finishing result, not for the way you got there.
Luck has played a big role this season, for everyone... McLaren has had their fair share of bad luck, arguably RP has had worse luck than McLaren.

At the end, as you well said, the points are what matters and P3 will be awarded to whomever gets more, based on performance, luck or a mix of both.

But, we also need to recognize that from a performance perspective, the RP is still ahead of McLaren, in today’s race the pace difference was big in the first 2 stints... Today the team had a LOT of luck, before Romain’s incident the race was almost over for Lando since he was on his way to the pits for a new wing and surely coming back last on the grid... The decision to use the second safety car line to determine the grid position for the restart also helped them both, since Lando already had lost a couple of positions and restarted 7th and of course RP’s engine failure (which I was praying for) was the final bit of great luck in today’s race.

The team deserves to be fighting for P3, but in “normal” circumstances, RP would have already taken that position a while back...Still 2 races to go and everything can happen, one bad weekend and the tables could turn very quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicane

Seidl clearly mentioned that their goal now is to maximize performance in qualifying as that's where lap time was left on the table. The higher you are on the grid, less chance of getting involved in incidents/accidents. Every single racing team from top to the bottom of the grid analyses every single detail to improve in any area they may have lacked even on a day where they have had a good result.

Toto Wolff says that Mercedes debriefing sessions are brutal where they look at every minute detail in every aspect be it drivers, strategy, pit stops, race operations, reliability etc etc. Irrespective of the nature of the day they may have had, the intensity with which they look at everything threadbare is what makes them a champion team.

Better Saturdays will make McLaren's job a lot less stressful. Things like getting through Q1 on one set like Carlos has managed to in recent GP, delivering clean laps when it matters are something McLaren should sit down with Lando and sort it out. Having two bites of the cherry in Q3 makes a significant difference.
Quickshifter

elldizzle

First of all i'd like to say how relieved I was to see Romain get out of that car, I still don't know how he did it.
But great result for the team today, Finally a bit of luck goes our way, but pace was good, we were quicker than Renault and Alpha Tauri.
In regards to the midfield battle I think luck has played a part for all teams throught the season. Mclaren, RP, Renault and AT have all had their fair share of bad luck. I feel when the midfield is as close as it is, consistency is what matters, those regular points finishes can add up over a season. There have bben times where we have been the 2nd fastest car and times when we have been the 6th fastest car. But what I think we have acheived so well with this season is our consistency. And the MCL35 being a better all round, all tracks car has helped us do that.
Now we need to finish these last 2 races strongly and hopefully next year try and get a gap to the midfield.

Big Tea

CjC wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:15
Big Tea wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 22:52
Slightly concerned with the performance comparison Renault engine car V Mercedes engine cars. Are they making a move at the wrong tine?
How so? Because of reliability or performance?
Both really. When there was a definite step up to the Merc engine it was worth moving to and risking all the teething troubles likely to come with a change as the performance gain was worth while.

It seems now though that there is little in it and having to start again with a new partner will have drawbacks without the expected bonus. Still, it is what it is and was the best option at the time.

Of course, a conspiracy theorist just may think that Merc are not showing their hand so when the engine freeze is in force, they can switch it up to 10 without bending any rules. :twisted:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

101FlyingDutchman

I don’t think the benefits from the Merc are only to be qualified in raw power. Certainly in quali the Renault is right up there.
I think the key differences lie in packaging, cooling requirements, ERS deployment/recharge requirements and fuel used per kw energy. I have a feeling the Merc is class leading in those aspects whilst being near the top in terms of pure power output

Balalu

The thing that worries me about the switch to Mercedes engine, is how in bed Mercedes are with Racing Point. Especially Wolf.

I have no doubt that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Some of it is creeping out from time to time, as we all can see.
Last edited by Balalu on 30 Nov 2020, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

bauc

Balalu wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 13:05
The thing that worries me about the switch to Mercedes engine, is how in bed Mercedes are with Racing Point. Especially Wolf.

I have no doubt that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Some of it is creeping out from time to time as we all can see.
Yes, I'm worried about the same, on the drivers pres conference Perez said, I wanted to stay especially knowing the car we will have next year ... so....
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 13:17
Balalu wrote:

I have no doubt that there is a lot going on behind the scenes. Some of it is creeping out from time to time as we all can see.
Yes, I'm worried about the same, on the drivers pres conference Perez said, I wanted to stay especially knowing the car we will have next year ... so....
Yea, The pink Merc will have a suspension upgrade, a PU upgrade and half a chassis upgrade :roll: where as Mclaren will only get a PU upgrade👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

CjC wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 15:04
bauc wrote:
Balalu wrote:

Yea, The pink Merc will have a suspension upgrade, a PU upgrade and half a chassis upgrade :roll: where as Mclaren will only get a PU upgrade👍🏻

Sad State of Affairs... FIA Corruption needs to Stop... Can't wait for Todt to leave....

the EDGE

mclaren111 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 15:57
CjC wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 15:04
bauc wrote:

Sad State of Affairs... FIA Corruption needs to Stop... Can't wait for Todt to leave....
Yes... but they also have a driver downgrade to deal with :lol:

godlameroso

McLaren will be very fast in the outer loop. They have good top speed, they may have a bit of understeer in the mid and low speed corners, but they have good traction, and a slippery car.
Saishū kōnā