2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TechAddict

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For god sake, let see what Russell is all about. Now is the chance for MB to test him IRL. I would also put immense pressure on Bottas to show what he is about. With Vandoorne (not in F1 driving form) Bottas will/should easily beat him and MB has learned nothing.

i70q7m7ghw

My personal view? Put Russell in the car, he's already there, he's been racing all season and he's tested the Mercedes before. Seems like a no brainer, Mercedes can pay Williams or whatever to make it work, and it shouldn't be difficult to find someone to fill the vacant Williams seat.

Phil

Wow, i wonder if more of the Mercedes Team will test positiv...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

yelistener

Now if Bottas can't get a pole to win this wknd, his not much remaining confidence will take a huge hit.

Fulcrum

Put Alonso in the car.

LHamilton

The most likely candidate, which I give 95 percent probibility, is Vandoorne. He has been in the simulator, he knows the car and that is something that teams tend to value (Just look at RP choosing Hulk over Vandoorne due to being familiar with the team). Very much Hulkenberg, Mercedes will have a good reference point of how Vandoorne works. What he likes, doesn't like, what he means when he tells you something etc. etc.

Esteban doesn't have a Super License as far as I know, so he is out of the question.

Russell I don't see getting it, since Williams is still in the hunt for HAAS in the constructors, and that would be very valuable money for them, even though they have new ownership.

What works in Hulkenbergs favour is the Mercedes-Racing Point relationship. They could ask for information regarding what he likes etc. etc., maybe even getting the seat from RP depending on how much have changed inside the car for 2019-2020. So that would speed up the process of Hulkenberg fitting in. But I can't see anyone other than Vandoorne. It's the most logical choice.

Fulcrum

Another left-field option: Perez, with Hulkenberg replacing Perez at Racing Point.

Mogster

TechAddict wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:08
For god sake, let see what Russell is all about. Now is the chance for MB to test him IRL. I would also put immense pressure on Bottas to show what he is about. With Vandoorne (not in F1 driving form) Bottas will/should easily beat him and MB has learned nothing.
If I was Russell I’d stay well away from this. The level of expectation would be completely insane.

matt_b

Stoffel has put the hard work in all year as reserve driver for situations like this so he deserves the drive in my opinion. Williams need Russel in their car to get the best result for the team he is contracted to drive for. Wishing the 7 times champ a fast recovery.

DChemTech

Fulcrum wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:35
Another left-field option: Perez, with Hulkenberg replacing Perez at Racing Point.
That is really far, far, far left. If the earth were flat, you'd be so far left you'd fall off ;)

I don't see any reason why a teamboss would tell one of their regular drivers "hey, you know what, why don't you go over to mercedes for a week and have some fun". Not for Russell, not for Perez. Even if the championship was fully done and dusted and the teams had no opportunity to change position in the WCC, it wouldn't make much sense - you still want to give it your best show, and not deal with the hassle of having a one-go driver in your team.

But in this case particularly, RP is in the middle of a very tight fight in the WCC, and they know their best shot at serious points is Sergio. The same applies to Russell - if Williams is to get any points this season, it won't be Latifi getting them.

Big Tea

Stoff is the nominated test/reserve driver, and Williams need a point. But, lets face it, it is not very likely George will score one this weekend on this track, so what will Williams have to lose?
What will Williams have to gain? Lots of PR value, and if Russel does well, a buzzing driver with some big time experience for the rest of the year, plus what ever they gain for putting another driver in the Williams. Be that cash/sponsorship pr just interview time on another TV language.
And of course the little 'bonus' off Merc
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:41
Stoff is the nominated test/reserve driver, and Williams need a point. But, lets face it, it is not very likely George will score one this weekend on this track, so what will Williams have to lose?
What will Williams have to gain? Lots of PR value, and if Russel does well, a buzzing driver with some big time experience for the rest of the year, plus what ever they gain for putting another driver in the Williams. Be that cash/sponsorship pr just interview time on another TV language.
And of course the little 'bonus' off Merc
If Williams has more to gain then to loose, what can Williams offer Merc in exchange?

Personally I think Toto wouldnt mind if they fielded a weaker driver this weekend - the engine parity / convergence / anti-domination FIA wolves are close to Mercedes door these days.

Kiril Varbanov

I feel bad for Hamilton, but that means another type of race and completely different dynamics.

PlatinumZealot

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 09:34
Return of Gutiérrez?
:shock: :shock: i think Hamilton had spread that disease in Parce Ferme after the race!!! He was mask off in front of a bunch of folks!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

TechAddict wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:08
Its a new car so wont be truly reflective... But. Here is hoping.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏