[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mark4211

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Annotated Wheel Adjustments: Qualifying Lap, George Russell - Bahrain 2020

https://streamable.com/1nlt58

Wouter

Wishing you a speedy recovery Sir Frank.

The Power of Dreams!

adrianjordan

Oy!! 2020 don't you dare!!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

FW17

Finally some good news

genarro

its going to take years but the elements of recovery are shapeing up nicely. F1 needs these heritage teams like McLaren, Williams and Ferrari to be strong...

diffuser

Well I guess you need to start somewhere, the top is probably the best place to start. Jost Capito is still an unknown quantity. He does come highly recommended. Simon Roberts, is an ingredient. He's no rock star.

Manoah2u

Wouter wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 13:23
That is very interesting, and could even usher in a future where Porsche enters F1!!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

trinidefender

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... n=widget-1

Hopefully this is good news for Williams. I think we're all hoping for a team such as Williams to at least be back in the fight for a few points every other race or so at least

trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 17:16
Well I guess you need to start somewhere, the top is probably the best place to start. Jost Capito is still an unknown quantity. He does come highly recommended. Simon Roberts, is an ingredient. He's no rock star.
Both Simon Roberts and Jost Capito have impressive résumés.

If you dig into Jost's history you'll see that he is very far from an unknown quantity having led quite a few race winning teams.

I believe had McLaren retained him and actually given him what he was asking for before, which is ironically pretty much all the things Andreas Seidl is doing then, McLaren would have started their recovery earlier.

I believe once Williams can keep the income going then they will have healthy performance growth over the next few years. It's unlikely to expect a miracle with how these rulesets are going but have patience and the performance should come

diffuser

trinidefender wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 01:35
diffuser wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 17:16
Both Simon Roberts and Jost Capito have impressive résumés.

If you dig into Jost's history you'll see that he is very far from an unknown quantity having led quite a few race winning teams.

I believe had McLaren retained him and actually given him what he was asking for before, which is ironically pretty much all the things Andreas Seidl is doing then, McLaren would have started their recovery earlier.

I believe once Williams can keep the income going then they will have healthy performance growth over the next few years. It's unlikely to expect a miracle with how these rulesets are going but have patience and the performance should come
He still has no F1 track record, which is what I was referring to. What he has done elsewhere is what has gotten him the job. It may or may not translate. I think he's worth the risk but 5 years from now, we could be singing a different tune.

Also in my mind Seidl hasn't done much at McLaren. All the hard work was done by Zack BEFORE Seidl got there. He go rid of the problem head of enginnering kept some and brought in Keys. I've said before Pat Fry, who's now gone, deserves more credit there.

Simon was part of that cleanup, he may have left on his own. I seem to remember he's was tied to financials....Anyways, leaving on his own always begs the question, did he leave cause he knew the ax was coming?

Mansell89

Some signs of ambition from Williams with the Capito appointment. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to bring Porsche into this sport via Capito.

Anyway, point being some solid heads beginning to appear in the right places- would be great to see Williams establish themselves as a real competitive force again.

the EDGE

Mansell89 wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 13:45
Some signs of ambition from Williams with the Capito appointment. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to bring Porsche into this sport via Capito.

Anyway, point being some solid heads beginning to appear in the right places- would be great to see Williams establish themselves as a real competitive force again.
It’s all very well having the right people, but even the right people need the right resources. Williams infrastructure is very dated and that will require huge investment on top of the cost of competing to the budget cap as capital expenditure is not included

This will take deep pockets or wealthy sponsors & time, McLaren have showed it’s possible to rebuild but look how long it took them to get where they are and they still have a long way to go still