VW pulling out of racing

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
strad

VW pulling out of racing

Won't be seeing VW in F1.
They are pulling out of all internal combustion based racing in favor of electric powered racing.
"""Volkswagen has confirmed that it is focusing its motorsport strategy on electric mobility. A clear emphasis on fully electric racing cars will be backed up by the farewell to factory-backed commitments using internal combustion engines."""
https://www.racetechmag.com/2019/11/vw- ... or-racing/
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SmallSoldier

Re: VW pulling out of racing

strad wrote:Won't be seeing VW in F1.
They are pulling out of all internal combustion based racing in favor of electric powered racing.
"""Volkswagen has confirmed that it is focusing its motorsport strategy on electric mobility. A clear emphasis on fully electric racing cars will be backed up by the farewell to factory-backed commitments using internal combustion engines."""
https://www.racetechmag.com/2019/11/vw- ... or-racing/
I don’t think anyone expected VW to be in F1, that’s not the brand they would have chosen to be showcased... VW is the one pulling out, but not the VAG group, therefore we could still see Porsche or Audi in F1 (most probably Porsche) or even Lamborghini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

etusch

BMW to quit Formula E after 2020-21 season

https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/ne ... n=widget-1

strad

I don’t think anyone expected VW to be in F1, that’s not the brand they would have chosen to be showcased... VW is the one pulling out, but not the VAG group, therefore we could still see Porsche or Audi in F1 (most probably Porsche) or even Lamborghini.
I don't think that's right. I believe that VW is the umbrella group that takes in Audi and Porsche. The article I read made it seem like nothing from VW with an internal combustion engine will be racing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

nzjrs

Isn't the article 1 year old?

SmallSoldier

strad wrote:
I don't think that's right. I believe that VW is the umbrella group that takes in Audi and Porsche. The article I read made it seem like nothing from VW with an internal combustion engine will be racing.
When reading the article, they made a reference to VW cars (Like the Golf or Polo)... That’s why it seemed that it was only VW cars that will be leaving ICE competition.

On the other hand, I read that Bentley will stop competing in GT3, but there hasn’t been any news about Porsche and Lamborghini

I doubt that they will take those 2 last brands out of ICE competitions since that’s what those brands are about... Audi now going into LMP (with an ICE engine) also indicates that it isn’t all VAG brands pulling out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jolle

With everything outside of F1 being in flux (DTM, FE, LeMans), it looks like the big brands wil wait a bit to see where and in which series they need to invest to get the best marketing.

Scorpaguy

Correct me if I am wrong...but I am not sure VW has sponsored anything ICE-related since WRC. I think they are ceasing all racing under the "VW" moniker which is now just the VW I.D. R Pikes Peak/Nürburgring project...and those dollars are going to their road-going EV projects.

..and if that is true I find it strange, as it should have been a fairly cheap project that did provide beneficial data. What I find is even stranger is Audi and BMW quitting FE. One could surmise that pouring dollars into that series is not offering the suspected return. Having been at numerous FE events around the world....I find it is a VERY different demographic than one sees at F1 and WEC.

Jolle

Scorpaguy wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 23:12
Correct me if I am wrong...but I am not sure VW has sponsored anything ICE-related since WRC. I think they are ceasing all racing under the "VW" moniker which is now just the VW I.D. R Pikes Peak/Nürburgring project...and those dollars are going to their road-going EV projects.

..and if that is true I find it strange, as it should have been a fairly cheap project that did provide beneficial data. What I find is even stranger is Audi and BMW quitting FE. One could surmise that pouring dollars into that series is not offering the suspected return. Having been at numerous FE events around the world....I find it is a VERY different demographic than one sees at F1 and WEC.
On paper FE is a marketing magic show for car brands. Close to their target audience, in inner cities, restaurants and clubs nearby to entertain guests, sponsors, etc... but there must be something that went belly up for two of the high profile brands to pull out (after of course Renault, there from the beginning already switched their team to Nissan). Lets wait and see what PSA, Porsche (also VAG of course) and Jaguar will do. The VW thing is indeed just the VW ID project, only about a staff of 160.

coaster

Hardly suprising since many of their roadcars these days are gaining a reputation of poor reliability, miss an oil change and your piston skirts and gudgeon pins are gonna make a racket.