[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

DiogoBrand wrote:
diffuser wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 15:49
Kind of Crazy how much fun the midfield will be next year. LeClerc, Sainz, Alonzo, Riccardo, Norris, Stroll and Vettel. Bloody Amazing racing. Now if only RBR can screw up a fall back a few 10ths....
I wish Red Bull gets faster by a few tenths actually. I'd rather see Mercedes have a contender than another one for the midfield.
As a McLaren fan I'd love to see them have a chance to fight for 2nd, but it would make the fight at the front even more boring than it already is.
I’m afraid that if RBR improves by a few tenths, it won’t be enough to challenge Mercedes.

I gave up a while ago in caring who wins the GP and decided to enjoy the midfield battle as a much as I can and in that regard, it has delivered one of the best seasons for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 17:41
DiogoBrand wrote:
diffuser wrote:
Kind of Crazy how much fun the midfield will be next year. LeClerc, Sainz, Alonzo, Riccardo, Norris, Stroll and Vettel. Bloody Amazing racing. Now if only RBR can screw up a fall back a few 10ths....
I wish Red Bull gets faster by a few tenths actually. I'd rather see Mercedes have a contender than another one for the midfield.
As a McLaren fan I'd love to see them have a chance to fight for 2nd, but it would make the fight at the front even more boring than it already is.
I’m afraid that if RBR improves by a few tenths, it won’t be enough to challenge Mercedes.

I gave up a while ago in caring who wins the GP and decided to enjoy the midfield battle as a much as I can and in that regard, it has delivered one of the best seasons for me.

Agreed, almost wish Merc and RBR would run at a different time. Different series. We could call it "1 BORING Formula".

The CAP can't come fast enough.

DiogoBrand

diffuser wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 03:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

Agreed, almost wish Merc and RBR would run at a different time. Different series. We could call it "1 BORING Formula".

The CAP can't come fast enough.
I'm careful regarding my expectations for the cap. If there's one dominant team in 2022 (likely Mercedes) the cap may make it more difficult for everyone else to catch them. My hopes are that the regulations are so strict that they won't allow for big differences, it may go a bit against the spirit of F1, but if it makes for good races I'm willing to accept it.
And then even if there are some big differences, maybe with stable rules (like that's gonna happen) teams will converge on their performance.
But so far it's anyone's guess to what's actually gonna happen.

mclaren111

SmallSoldier wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Same with me... I really hope we can take the fight to RBR next year...

Merc will still be unbeatable next year...

Ground Effect

mclaren111 wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 08:49
SmallSoldier wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:

I think we’ll have our hands full with Aston Martin next year, they’ll have the W11 more or less. If something close to the real Vettel shows up, it’ll be them troubling Red Bull. The fact that they’ll upgrade to 2020 Mercedes parts and still have their 2 tokens to play around with is quite worrisome. Our best hope would be if they don’t do a good job with the new floor and diffuser for 2021. But they’ll probably just ask Mercedes what to do, so not a big chance there. I may not have noticed, but I don’t think Aston Martin have done any parts testing for next year during FP’s. McLaren, Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes have at some point.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 11:11
mclaren111 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

I think we’ll have our hands full with Aston Martin next year, they’ll have the W11 more or less. If something close to the real Vettel shows up, it’ll be them troubling Red Bull. The fact that they’ll upgrade to 2020 Mercedes parts and still have their 2 tokens to play around with is quite worrisome. Our best hope would be if they don’t do a good job with the new floor and diffuser for 2021. But they’ll probably just ask Mercedes what to do, so not a big chance there. I may not have noticed, but I don’t think Aston Martin have done any parts testing for next year during FP’s. McLaren, Renault, Ferrari, Mercedes have at some point.
I don’t see RP as a big problem, I think they’re already running W11 suspension and copy tracing has now been banned so they will have to deal with the new aero regs for next year themselves

With just 2 tokens to spend and most changes requiring 2 tokens to implement all teams are going to be very limited on what chassis changes can be made for next year so I don’t expect any major gains over the winter from anyone in that regard

I have a feeling Mercedes will spend their 2 tokens removing DAS as it’s banned next year so carrying the additional weight would not make sense, as RP don’t run it they might not even choose to their 2 tokens on the chassis and spend them on upgrading PIT equipment instead

The good news is McLaren will have the same power as RP next year, I would imagine it’s worth a 1/10 or 2, so we should be all over them

We mustn’t under-estimate the significance of the new aero rules, with an aimed 10% decrease in DF I think that could start to separate the midfield a little, McLaren have as good a chance as any in getting it right. We will just have to wait and see. As you say, at least they seem to be preparing for it

Either way, I’m really looking forward to 22 and to how RIC & SEB perform in their new teams... I know what one I’d rather have in my car - :D .

Perez has been outstanding this year, Seb’s performance has been sliding a couple of years now. Perhaps he will bounce back at RP, the car does seem easier to drive than the recent Ferraris have been and I’m sure the atmosphere will be better, but he’s going to be under pressure to deliver and constantly compared to Perez by the media. It could go well, or a combination of Sebastian and Lance could be the unmaking of them

adrianjordan

Ground Effect wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 11:11
mclaren111 wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

They won't have the W11, they'll have an evolution of what they have now.

There was a video on YouTube a while back, can't find it now, that made a point that RP, or AM as they'll be, won't be able to make best benefit of the upgraded Merc suspension due to limits to changes elsewhere on the chassis.

Merc can tailor the suspension to their car and aero, but AM will have to do the opposite, which is never ideal.

I think McLaren have a good chance of beating AM next season.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Emag

1-2 at the moment. So far so good :lol:

mwillems

I thought we were able to modify our suspension because we would need new mounting points. I also read that we can tailor the aero around the cooling solution, so there is room for technical improvement outside of just tweaking aero I think.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Emag

Seems like they are struggling a bit atm. Hopefully its better tomorrow.

chrisgr

I havent seen much orange today...

101FlyingDutchman

The 55.25 was hampered by a Renault in the chicane. Made SAI run very wide. My guess is a 55.0/55.1 currently is a fair representation of where they’re at. I don’t think they’re as fast as Renault/RP or TR. But the difference will be soooo small that it’s hard to draw conclusions over a 55 sec lap.

Emag

Yeah I have learned that whenever you have high expectations, everything goes to ---. We might have jinxed this.

Emag

Yeah look at that. Issue for Lando now.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 20:22
Yeah I have learned that whenever you have high expectations, everything goes to ---. We might have jinxed this.
I have low expectations, so maybe there is an expectation offset and actually we are fine.
It may actually be just running super conservative with the engines at the end of the season.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.