Different drivers championship format

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sp8472

Different drivers championship format

It is interesting that Russell is heading the time sheets now he is driving a Merc. Shows the difference the best car makes. From the back of the field to the front.

I think they should have a real drivers championship, where the drivers names are pulled out of a hat at the start of the season to determine which car they drive every week. That way all drivers drive all cars. Teams put $ into a pool to pay for drivers. Drivers then get paid based on their finish in the championship. That way one week Hamilton is driving a Hass and the next week a Ferrari. All drivers then have equal chance of winning. Good drivers would get the most out of lesser cars and still do better overall. We would also have rookies driving a Merc at the front with champions in middle pack cars challenging.

This would be far more interesting than the usual Hamilton, Bottas, Max racing we are seeing. There would be no need to do the artificial ‘reverse grid’ ideas to mix things up and make it interesting. Hamilton would qualify further back in a Williams and then in the race really challenge his way up. While rookies at the front would still struggle and slide back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

Re: Different drivers championship format

Or just have a spec series. That would save a lot of messing around.

When you look back, the best guys generally did well in every series they raced in. That's not a coincidence.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Hoffman900

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 02:08

When you look back, the best guys generally did well in every series they raced in. That's not a coincidence.
Exactly.

The best drivers are in the best cars, George is just in the waiting... does everyone forget he is a former F2 and GP3 Champ against really stout fields? I think there are 6-8 guys who could win in the Mercedes, but win like Bottas wins. They would not dominate like Lewis has.

The best drivers get the best gear / teams applies to all of sports. It's no different than Tiger Woods getting the best golf clubs, Tom Brady playing on the Patriots (NFL), etc. Success begets success.

Even then, spec series or pseudo spec series are still dominated by the same drivers and teams. Jimmy Johnson won NASCAR Championships with Hendrick Motorsports from 2006-2010 - arguably NASCAR's peak in terms of dollars and field competitiveness. Scott Dixon has won 6 Indy Car Championships. The field spread is less, but it's all for show, and the grid is set based on talent and team talent.

I've been involved in a few spec series. Unshockingly, the same teams and drivers are always at the front. That's life.

PlatinumZealot

If one wants to watch drivers go at it in esentially the same cars there are many series out there.

I don't care if one car is a rocketship and the rest are 3 seconds behind i will watch and find excitement in the midfield or back of the grid somehow. The cars is 80% of why i watch F1 anyway.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

sp8472

PlatinumZealot wrote:If one wants to watch drivers go at it in esentially the same cars there are many series out there.

I don't care if one car is a rocketship and the rest are 3 seconds behind i will watch and find excitement in the midfield or back of the grid somehow. The cars is 80% of why i watch F1 anyway.
I agree with you that the cars are as much what makes F1 so awesome as the drivers. I would hate all the cars to be the same. But I would also love to see a true drivers championship. Where the skill of each driver is tested in each car. You would still have a constructors championship and at the end of the day the best constructor will win regardless of who the drivers are.

But if you can end up on top of the drivers championship after driving all the cars on the grid, then you would be really deserving of the title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raymondu999

Wasn’t there a thought like a decade back for a GP1 type championship
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

El Scorchio

Two reasons why car swapping would be rubbish. Firstly how do you determine who gets what at different tracks? That luck of the draw will go a long way to deciding results depending what car you draw where. What about when it’s someone’s turn in a ‘good’ car and there’s a mechanical problem? It would be incredibly unsatisfying.

Secondly Hamilton would almost certainly still win and the other usual suspects be up at the front so it would be a mass of fuss and make a blind bit of difference.

raymondu999

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 12:59
Secondly Hamilton would almost certainly still win
Are you implying that he is, at every weekend and every racetrack in the world, the best F1 driver? And that in all equal cars he would win all the races?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

El Scorchio

raymondu999 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 17:36
El Scorchio wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 12:59
Secondly Hamilton would almost certainly still win
Are you implying that he is, at every weekend and every racetrack in the world, the best F1 driver? And that in all equal cars he would win all the races?
No. I didn’t say or imply he’d win every race regardless of what car he’s in, and you full well know that. But I fully expect he’d still end up champion over the course of a season under that format

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:

Even "spec" series aren't truly spec. Different teams do better than others. Look at the junior formulae, if you want to win there are 3/4 teams that you want a seat with - they get the best engines, have the best mechanics...etc In F1 Mercedes are still operationally the best in F1, probably close with Red Bull, though how long a lot of them would stick about in a spec series is debatable.

W series is probably the closest to true spec because the drivers swap chassis, mechanics and race engineers each event so there is no ingrained advantage.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

raymondu999

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:26
No. I didn’t say or imply he’d win every race regardless of what car he’s in, and you full well know that.
No, I don’t. Because the way you wroded it, to me, sounded like you were. But to clarify then — you mean “hamilton would still win” as in the title, not all the individual races necessarily?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hoffman900

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:38
Just_a_fan wrote:

Even "spec" series aren't truly spec. Different teams do better than others. Look at the junior formulae, if you want to win there are 3/4 teams that you want a seat with - they get the best engines, have the best mechanics...etc In F1 Mercedes are still operationally the best in F1, probably close with Red Bull, though how long a lot of them would stick about in a spec series is debatable.

W series is probably the closest to true spec because the drivers swap chassis, mechanics and race engineers each event so there is no ingrained advantage.
Exactly. This is that way in ever Spec Series we've ever been apart of. There are 2-3 prep shops that do it better and the same drivers always win. Equal equipment doesn't mean equal prep or the ability to set the car up, or drive it.

NathanOlder

Well in this idea, I'd want the Mercedes , Racing Point early in the year. Red Bull and Ferrari towards the end. It wouldn't be fair if you get it round the other way. I wouldn't want my run in the Merc at Monaco, and I wouldnt want the RedBull at Monza.

hold on, actually this whole idea is crazy and in no way a good way to see who drives best. A spec series is 1000 times better to see who's good or not, but every driver on the grid has gone through a spec series or two or three or four.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Jolle

yeah... if you want a pure drivers championship, go and watch nascar, IndyCar or something. This is F1, in its core there is the importance of the car and well, that is what this forum is about. Part of a team to design, build and run the best car they can get is getting the right drivers. Bit like rotating strikers around in the Serie A. It's a team sport.

Hoffman900

Jolle wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 22:38
yeah... if you want a pure drivers championship, go and watch nascar, IndyCar or something. This is F1, in its core there is the importance of the car and well, that is what this forum is about. Part of a team to design, build and run the best car they can get is getting the right drivers. Bit like rotating strikers around in the Serie A. It's a team sport.
The same people and teams win there all the time too.

Spec racing creates the allure that the field is close. On paper it is, but in practice, the differences from front to back are real.