2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

zibby43 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:04
What I want to know is why everyone focuses on Bottas as a #2 . . .

. . . when Albon is getting wiped off the face of the earth by Verstappen every weekend.

Put Lewis in the #2 RB and maybe Verstappen is getting his teeth kicked in every weekend.

We simply don’t know because Albon is the worst driver on the grid.

Merc has to be sending a bottle of champagne to RBR thanking them for keeping Albon next year.
This is very true. This is also why after today Mercedes cannot keep making Russell wait. He will now be getting plenty of attention I bet. After all dragging the Williams into Q2 is one thing but taking close (after 2 days in the car) a guy who has often taken close and sometimes beaten a 7 time WDC? Well that’s different.

zibby43
zibby43

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:08
zibby43 wrote:

. . . when Albon is getting wiped off the face of the earth by Verstappen every weekend.

Put Lewis in the #2 RB and maybe Verstappen is getting his teeth kicked in every weekend.

Merc has to be sending a bottle of champagne to RBR thanking them for keeping Albon next year.
This is very true. This is also why after today Mercedes cannot keep making Russell wait. He will now be getting plenty of attention I bet. After all dragging the Williams into Q2 is one thing but taking close (after 2 days in the car) a guy who has often taken close and sometimes beaten a 7 time WDC? Well that’s different.
He's gotta be in the car by 2022.

Moore77

zibby43 wrote:

One thing people forget is, how driveable W11 is and how difficult RB16 is. When W08 was a diva, Bottas struggled on days it misbehaved. Similar trend continued with W09, to lesser extent. So if Bottas was put in that RB16, he would struggle as much or maybe more. Gasly who is doing so well in AT now after a similar time in RB15 tells the story.
Who knows, if Albon drives W11, he might do better than Bottas. We would never know.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

ringo

To me, Bottas is consistently 2 tenths quicker at the moment than Russel; which is to be expected and not too bad for both of them. Bottas could have done better on the last lap, and Russel did benefit from a tow. The car can be in as much as 2 to 4 seconds behind to benefit , and with such a short lap that's a lot of distance.
What this does confirm is both drivers are very good. Bottas is not rubbish, he is infact the real deal'; a top driver.
And Russel is very talented, and has a lot of potential to be promoted to a top team. What can help or hurt him now is how he races. His racing prowess is pretty much nonexistent at this stage.
We haven't seen him much in the races, and he at least needs to be P-4 to show that he is not another Jarno Truli.
Finaly, i can see the extra tenths Lewis puts in the mercedes to make it appear super dominant. When in fact it's barely quicker than the redbull. For all we know the redbull can be equally good chassis, but just compromised because of the Honda engine. Max is very close to the W11, and i suspect he will have the better race pace.
Looks like Lewis is worth his weight in gold.
For Sure!!

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

ringo wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:27
To me, Bottas is consistently 2 tenths quicker at the moment than Russel; which is to be expected and not too bad for both of them. Bottas could have done better on the last lap, and Russel did benefit from a tow. The car can be in as much as 2 to 4 seconds behind to benefit , and with such a short lap that's a lot of distance.
What this does confirm is both drivers are very good. Bottas is not rubbish, he is infact the real deal'; a top driver.
And Russel is very talented, and has a lot of potential to be promoted to a top team. What can help or hurt him now is how he races. His racing prowess is pretty much nonexistent at this stage.
We haven't seen him much in the races, and he at least needs to be P-4 to show that he is not another Jarno Truli.
Finaly, i can see the extra tenths Lewis puts in the mercedes to make it appear super dominant. When in fact it's barely quicker than the redbull. For all we know the redbull can be equally good chassis, but just compromised because of the Honda engine. Max is very close to the W11, and i suspect he will have the better race pace.
This totally discounts Lewis's brilliance in a race. No one manages their tires and car better than him. I know Lewis idolized Senna growing up, but he really is the Alain Prost of this generation. Lewis regularly turns a .1-.2 advantage to a 30s-60s win.

dans79

Hoffman900 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:29
ringo wrote:
This totally discounts Lewis's brilliance in a race. No one manages their tires and car better than him. I know Lewis idolized Senna growing up, but he really is the Alain Prost of this generation. Lewis regularly turns a .1-.2 advantage to a 30s-60s win.
That's how Lewis tricks people. He makes you think he's just a really good qualifier when in fact his real advantage is elsewhere!
197 104 103 7

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

dans79 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:32
Hoffman900 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:29
ringo wrote:
That's how Lewis tricks people. He makes you think he's just a really good qualifier when in fact his real advantage is elsewhere!
That and his whole "tires are struggling", "the competition is close", "they're making me work for it" act. He knows its entertainment, and he needs to make a show of it or create the illusion that it's close and he's struggling. Not that I am implying he isn't trying hard, he is, but he knows he needs to make more of a spectacle of it.

Moore77

Oh boy, the PR machinery is on now. :lol: The guy isn't even racing this weekend.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

zibby43
zibby43

Moore77 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:23
zibby43 wrote:

One thing people forget is, how driveable W11 is and how difficult RB16 is. When W08 was a diva, Bottas struggled on days it misbehaved. Similar trend continued with W09, to lesser extent. So if Bottas was put in that RB16, he would struggle as much or maybe more. Gasly who is doing so well in AT now after a similar time in RB15 tells the story.
Who knows, if Albon drives W11, he might do better than Bottas. We would never know.
No way Albon is quicker in the W11. The Red Bull has been much improved in terms of stability the second half of the season. It's not like Albon is a few hundredths off. He's an eternity away.

Russell may end being the most talented out of the Verstappen and LEC trio. And that's saying something.

And Bottas still covered him off.

Today has confirmed a few things: 1) Lewis is the fastest on the grid; 2) Bottas' pure quali pace is outstanding; 3) Russell is the future at Mercedes.

Red Bull/Ferrari better end up building monster cars in 2022.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

Moore77 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:42
Oh boy, the PR machinery is on now. :lol: The guy isn't even racing this weekend.
Not true. There is a large enough dataset with Lewis to know he would likely be qualified on the front row right now.

Should we discuss Vettel and Leclerc this weekend?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

NathanOlder

ringo wrote:
George was 6 seconds behind Bottas on track on their last run. He wasn't getting any tow. Mercedes did similar in Monza if I remember, neither driver getting a tow on a very important 'tow track' . As always, Mercedes being so fair on both drivers. It even costs them a chance , like today it almost put Max ahead of them.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:43
Moore77 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

No way Albon is quicker in the W11. The Red Bull has been much improved in terms of stability the second half of the season. It's not like Albon is a few hundredths off. He's an eternity away.

Russell may end being the most talented out of the Verstappen and LEC trio. And that's saying something.

And Bottas still covered him off.

Today has confirmed a few things: 1) Lewis is the fastest on the grid; 2) Bottas' pure quali pace is outstanding; 3) Russell is the future at Mercedes.

Red Bull/Ferrari better end up building monster cars in 2022.
Yeah I agree with this, what I also think happened here today, unless George does something crazy tomorrow, he has just pretty much shut the Mercedes door for Max.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

siskue2005

Moore77 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Did u find that from your personal testing with the W11 car? :o :lol:
Last edited by siskue2005 on 05 Dec 2020, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.

LM10
LM10

Moore77 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:53
LM10 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:51
Everyone talking about Russell, but what about Leclerc? He definitely was the real deal today. How on earth did he put that Ferrari on P4 on this track? I was lost for words, sublime performance.
That was a great lap. In recent races, Ferrari have made good progress in qualifying trim. The tyre usage still is a big problem and he might fall back in race, which is sad.
Tyre wear has improved as well, but qualifying performance stood out more recently, yea. Seems like the car behaves in a strange way at times, showing awful behaviour on a tyre set and then much better pace on another set in the same race. Happened last week, for example.