[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

proteus wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:06
Xero wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:46
Messy Q2 for Lando. Needed him in the mix for points, so he's got a lot of hard work to do tomorrow from there to salvage something.

Hopefully Carlos can repeat his lap here.
How is he with the tyres though? He should have some spare fresh sets of yellows, or he doesnt? If his car gets trough the race working fine, he might still be in a good position.
Not 100% sure, but I would assume he has at least 1 fresh set of yellows. McLaren avoided using them for their Qually sighter runs compared to other teams, with Carlos opting for the hards. So both drivers probably looking good on the medium front.

CjC
CjC

JRindt wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:18
mwillems wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:04
CjC wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:59

For me Lando is a snowflake.
Why on earth did he abort that last attempt? Surely p12 on the grid is better than p15???

He aborts too many laps in my opinion does Norris
Lol

Lando has a ton of points and Sainz has also made mistakes this year.

He aborted because he thought he could go faster. He gambled and lost. No snowflake, just poor judgement.
He aborted on the final run too, when could’ve taken the flag. I think he also did 2 green sectors in the first two on that run.
Regardless, he should’ve taken the flag. I was kind of stumped that he didn’t #-o
He should always take the flag regardless of what happens, I’ve seen him do this in practice which isn’t ideal but he should NEVER EVER do it in qualifying.
What’s the point in pitting?? Just to cower in the corner crying??

I got shouted down on here mid season for calling Lando out for not seeming to have a lot of fight in him, for being more inclined to roll over and take it rather than taking one on the chin- well surely this is proving my point?

Needless to say I’m furious with him right now
Just a fan's point of view

godlameroso

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:20
godlameroso wrote:Looks like the starting order is reversed. Only hope for Lando is to start on mediums and try to push the stint as much as possible for an overcut. Most others will be two stopping.
I would be daring and go for Hards from the beginning... with the DRS train it shouldn’t be that big of a handicap, he can also push them a bit more than the rest and have a tire delta on a faster tire towards the end of the race.

Will be interesting to see what the strategy is tomorrow... They started Carlos last week on Softs even though he was also P15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think because they lack downforce and are kind on their tires that the medium would be better than the hard to start on. From my estimates, the medium will be consistent for ~20-22 laps before they start going off, the softs 14-16 laps before they start going off. The hard is noticably slower but only lasts 6 or 7 laps more than the mediums. No tire will be able to go more than 33-35 laps, so a one stop will be hard to pull off.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules

Mcl actually chose their higher df version of their two rw’s this weekend, maybe that pays of in the race since most others went low

101FlyingDutchman

Won’t help overtaking but may help tire life. Hard to say. Don’t want to be optimistic. Have no expectations for tomorrow. It’ll be chaos regardless

mwillems

JRindt wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:18
mwillems wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:04
CjC wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:59

For me Lando is a snowflake.
Why on earth did he abort that last attempt? Surely p12 on the grid is better than p15???

He aborts too many laps in my opinion does Norris
Lol

Lando has a ton of points and Sainz has also made mistakes this year.

He aborted because he thought he could go faster. He gambled and lost. No snowflake, just poor judgement.
He aborted on the final run too, when could’ve taken the flag. I think he also did 2 green sectors in the first two on that run.
Regardless, he should’ve taken the flag. I was kind of stumped that he didn’t #-o
I agree, but snowflake? No, he's not a bottler nor does he lack bravery in my opinion, he's a little bit daft and lacks confidence in his own judgement at times, and perhaps that is not unjustified.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

CjC
CjC

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:14
Won’t help overtaking but may help tire life. Hard to say. Don’t want to be optimistic. Have no expectations for tomorrow. It’ll be chaos regardless
Surely better tyre life equals better traction over a stint so that could be a positive

Macklaren

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 20:20
godlameroso wrote:Looks like the starting order is reversed. Only hope for Lando is to start on mediums and try to push the stint as much as possible for an overcut. Most others will be two stopping.
I would be daring and go for Hards from the beginning... with the DRS train it shouldn’t be that big of a handicap, he can also push them a bit more than the rest and have a tire delta on a faster tire towards the end of the race.

Will be interesting to see what the strategy is tomorrow... They started Carlos last week on Softs even though he was also P15

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem with this track is that it is so short and fast that a drs train will get lapped very quickly and that just kills everyone's race. Lando should do a Carlos from last week and try and gain as many positions as quickly as possible

Chicane

Even Lewis Hamilton with the highest number of poles does not take qualifying casually. I find it hilarious that people try to normalize something totally unacceptable at this level and this is not the first time. Mclaren said their aim this weekend was to qualify higher to make their life bit more easier on Sunday but Lando botched both attempts on his second run which even Seidl was struggling to explain. If Norris does not raise his game next season a hiding from Ricciardo is on order.
Quickshifter

_cerber1

Carlos best first sector 18.566. If he collected the circle, he would be the sixth 53.714.

diffuser

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:14
Disagree, it will help overtaking. They should be on the gas sooner out of the corners then DRS compensates for more rear wing. It will also hurt in getting passed, we'll be slower on the straights, without DRS.

I fear the convoy here, 4 -5 cars all within DRS range of each other will be hell.

CjC
CjC

Chicane wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:56
Even Lewis Hamilton with the highest number of poles does not take qualifying casually. I find it hilarious that people try to normalize something totally unacceptable at this level and this is not the first time. Mclaren said their aim this weekend was to qualify higher to make their life bit more easier on Sunday but Lando botched both attempts on his second run which even Seidl was struggling to explain. If Norris does not raise his game next season a hiding from Ricciardo is on order.
Agreed.

I can’t remember Lewis aborting too many laps in quali for other than tactical reasons.
Funny how Hamilton is a 7 times F1 champion and a GP2 champion...

As much as Hamilton gets some stick of fans which includes me- he is ruthless on track.
The happy happy with Lando is refreshing but he needs to start tearing it up on track every time he out there

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 19:45
LANDO WTH!! If he had finished the lap he would have been P12/13 at least instead of P15!
Yes I don't understand why he did not finish the lap, he could have moved a place or two
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

diffuser

CjC wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 22:24
Chicane wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 21:56
Agreed.

I can’t remember Lewis aborting too many laps in quali for other than tactical reasons.
Funny how Hamilton is a 7 times F1 champion and a GP2 champion...

As much as Hamilton gets some stick of fans which includes me- he is ruthless on track.
The happy happy with Lando is refreshing but he needs to start tearing it up on track every time he out there
I get sick of Hamilton but it has nothing to do with him. It's F1, the Bernie regs that suck wind and makes me sick of seeing Lewis on top all the time.

It really robs us of seeing what he's really like. When he drove a slower car he had to take more risks and he ended in contact cause of that, even recently in the rain. We saw that with Vettel when he was at RBR, he had pace in the bag, it's easy to appear to be the best. I'm sure he's really good. How good? Hard to tell when, for the most part, you're racing only against your team mate.

Macklaren

Interesting ... Team considering fitting a new engine and gearbox for Lando. Will send him to the back of the grid but will give him a little more power. Looks like the team is confident of car pace and ability to pass despite the DRS train