2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
jjn9128

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

Jolle wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 15:40
[quote=notsofast post_id=943955 time=<a href="tel:1607347869">1607347869</a> user_id=15794]
Russell may have been robbed of a win, but he was certainly given the opportunity to demonstrate whatever skills he listed in his PowerPoint presentation. :-)

On a more serious note, why couldn't he fit in Lewis' car? Aren't the dimensions of the survival cell standardized? Couldn't he have just taken his fitted Williams seat and stuffed it in the Mercedes?
There are rules like the minimum size of the cockpit opening and the cros sections. Seats are not interchangeable between seats. If Russell would move to merc any time soon, they have to make the cockpit a bit larger in W12/13
[/quote]

The rules state a minimum width and height on two planes named A-A and B-B. The drivers feet at the rearmost pedal position must be 300mm behind A-A. The chassis is 300x275mm (w x h) with a 25mm radius on each corner at AA, and 450x400mm with r50mm at BB. The minimum length between A and B is 925mm and the volume has to grow linearly so the height at the pedal is ~315mm. However the length of the safety cell can be longer - which has some aero advantages to move the sidepod back from the wheels and increase bargeboard length - which reduces the height at the drivers pedals. Merc have one of the longest cars so you can assume the safety cell is part of the reason for that and with a smaller driver foot they can get away with minimising the cross section of the safety cell.

The rules for 2022 already have a slightly bigger minimum volume for the drivers legs/feet.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SiLo

Has anyone asked George for some comparisons to the Williams? I've not seen him speak about the car apart from it being no slouch, and not being able to fit in the thing.
Felipe Baby!

Big Tea

Keep in mind though that Merc always try to be scrupulously fair to both drivers. Where as some teams would have pitted only he driver who would benefit from fresh rubber, Merc call both drivers in and they get the same tyres, even if one would benefit from softs and the other hards.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Hoffman900

SiLo wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 17:21
Has anyone asked George for some comparisons to the Williams? I've not seen him speak about the car apart from it being no slouch, and not being able to fit in the thing.
I only heard him mention how good it was over the curbs, which I implied it was in comparison to his Williams.

The engine power should be about the same. Maybe delivery is a little different.

Sieper

I heard him describe it as DAS Auto.

since he is no longer welcome at Mercedes. ;-D

(Das Auto)

i70q7m7ghw

In an interview on C4 he said it was a very driveable car, it does what you ask it to do, giving you a huge amount of confidence.

matt_b

SiLo wrote:
He talked on Sky Sports and said the car is better everywhere from breaking, downforce and also mentioned how well it rides the curbs.

TNTHead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 02:19

Lewis would not have come in and the puncture would not have affect Lewis. He already won a race on three wheels. So a slow puncture is nothing for him . Yes. I am dead serious.
I finaly get it: Lewis is superman! :lol:

avantman

matt_b wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:17
SiLo wrote:
He talked on Sky Sports and said the car is better everywhere from breaking, downforce and also mentioned how well it rides the curbs.
Over the bumps!
Q: George, over one lap, where’s the biggest difference between the Williams and the Mercedes?

GR: It’s difficult to say because obviously this track is a little bit Mickey Mouse. The infield section is very tricky but the car is finessed to every single detail and everything from brakes, downforce, power handles to bumps, I could not believe how good the car was over the bumps into turn seven. It’s just faster. This is the level that everyone in Formula One is working towards, what the guys at Mercedes in Brackley are doing at the moment, just incredible.
Last edited by avantman on 07 Dec 2020, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

nzjrs

TNTHead wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Lewis would not have come in and the puncture would not have affect Lewis. He already won a race on three wheels. So a slow puncture is nothing for him . Yes. I am dead serious.
I finaly get it: Lewis is superman! :lol:
I refuse to believe it wasn't a joke by PZ.

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
Looks like he was instructed not to compare cars. I noticed he stopped himself short of it when quizzed about it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Manoah2u

PlatinumZealot wrote:
LM10 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 22:17
To the people telling Mercedes can't win without Lewis - what are you trying to do? Those claims sound stupid and you're belittling Russell's exceptional performance today. What a shame.

He actually was on his way to easily win that. If it was not for the most stupid pit stop I've seen in a while. Why would you change some fresh Hards with less than half of the race remaining?
Lewis would not have come in and the puncture would not have affect Lewis. He already won a race on three wheels. So a slow puncture is nothing for him. Yes. I am dead serious.
i agree that there is a possibility Lewis would have stayed out and taken the risk. That's what perhaps Russell should have done too but i understand he did not. It 100% cost him a podium. Atleast though he did not end delaminating or in the walls if the tire would have gave way and end up with nothing. Atleast he has 3 points now.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

Russell did a great job. Good pace on mediums, but it wasnt a direct comparison with Bottas who had done a bit of fighting on his. I would love to see Russel in the last race, but i also want HAM to book end the season in the right way.
Last edited by PlatinumZealot on 07 Dec 2020, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

illario

Extremely powerfull that orange helmet with the black monster line. I couldn't help it, after all, Lewis replaced him! The car seemd to be much more agile, almost agressive but elegant, light-footed-leopard like, compared to a silk-smooth-delfin Lewis, Bottas is a tank. I dream that, next year Hamilton Russel in same car, Charles and Verstappen fight for championship... and in the classic F1 Alonso vs Fettel ;)

piast9

matt_b wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:17
SiLo wrote:
He also said in the press conference that Mercedes is very stable during braking on the bumps.