2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Manoah2u

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 13:20
Bit rich coming from the man who kicked the wall!
Verstappen is feeling the pressure and heat from somebody who he was safe to completely ignore,
whom proved zero threat by any means whatsoever, and suddenly is in the most desired seat,
which he probably will never end up in, and BEATS him from the get-go,
whilst he himself completely c%#kd up his race by no means than his own.

Yeah, he played the wise game to get off throttle early, but his way of managing going into the wall was stupid and down to himself completely and he laid blame - as usual - elsewhere.

If he actually stopped, knowing full well there was a gravel trap coming up,
or actually slow down enough to 'turn' back to the track, he would 'only' have ended up plum last but fully intact and re-start his race. The fact Perez WON this GP means that he would 'EASILY' have won this GP despite that incident.

Instead, impulse-heavy and void of valid self-critisism Max does the 'Verstappen' move like his dad did and goes into the wall. It was a brainfart moment, what was he thinking? that the speed would carry him through the gravel trap? he would have gotten caught in the gravel trap nonetheless, he had this a few GP's back anyway when his tire committed suicide for example iirc.

He could never steer enough into the corner with the speed he KEPT since LeClerc was still there heading towards the wall. So even IF leclerc was magically not there anymore, he could not have made the corner anyway. and again, he would have gotten trapped in the gravel trap guaranteed.

And lastly, there are now rumours RBR wants Russell next to Max, which would be a great threat and could even result in Max getting soundly beaten.

So with that, Max needs to compose himself and look critically at himself instead of other drivers.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sieper

Moore77 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 19:07
Sieper wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 16:28
what was there to misspeak. He showed his speed and is now a martyr of his first race in a top car. Leclerc was pittied for halve a season after Bahrein last year and still is allowed to pull of stunts any other driver would be chastised for without an eye lid being bat.

Russell was clearly playing the drama like alonso did parking himself in the spotlights. Good on him! If you really going to take time to collect yourself before speaking you do somewhere where nobody can see you. Like Max tried to do when he sat behind the pitbox coming to terms with losing the turkey pole to improving weather conditions. Ofcourse still a pcture was made by someone of a private moment otherwise we woudl't have known, but not front an centre in the mixed zone where all the camera teams are.
I always thought Hamilton was awful when he speaks (so much of melodrama which he could without), but Max is beating him to that. Lots of unnecessary statements against Ferrari, against his team mate and now against someone who would most likely have shut the door for him on a Mercedes possibility. Like Hamilton, he is bloody good driver, but this frustration that he is masquerading, covered in cheap jibes, isn't going to make him look appealing to any team. In a few years, he would most likely have insulted the whole of the grid and shutting all doors on himself.

There are drivers around him like Leclerc, Norris, Sainz and now Russell, who are all talented to deliver championships to their teams when they have a good car in their hand, rendering Max unwanted and leaving at the sole hope of a Red Bull making a winner. In such difficult circumstances, having an unnecessary loud mouth is plain simple suicidal.
Disagree word for word. Unbelievable that you type this actually.

e30ernest

Rewatching the replay, it looks like Verstappen still had his foot on the throttle through the gravel trap. I reckon he might have made it if he sacrificed more speed. It looked like he was trying to still stay on power to minimize the places lost. Can't blame him either way though.
Last edited by e30ernest on 09 Dec 2020, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

e30ernest wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 05:51
Rewatching the reply, it looks like Verstappen still had his foot on the throttle through the gravel trap. I reckon he might have made it if he sacrificed more speed. It looked like he was trying to still stay on power to minimize the places lost. Can't blame him either way though.
I'm almost sure he just didnt see the gravel, he thought it would be the painted surface as they were very similar colour at that point. He sped up before the gravel and once he hit the gravel , that wa sit. From Charles onboard it looked like something Maldonado's son would do :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

e30ernest

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 09:45
e30ernest wrote:
Rewatching the reply, it looks like Verstappen still had his foot on the throttle through the gravel trap. I reckon he might have made it if he sacrificed more speed. It looked like he was trying to still stay on power to minimize the places lost. Can't blame him either way though.
I'm almost sure he just didnt see the gravel, he thought it would be the painted surface as they were very similar colour at that point. He sped up before the gravel and once he hit the gravel , that wa sit. From Charles onboard it looked like something Maldonado's son would do :lol:
He'd have done a track walk. I am pretty sure he'd know there was gravel there. These are the sort of things they'd be looking out for before practice even starts.

Shrieker

Yeah exactly. He should've slowed down more on the painted surface to stand any chance of rejoining the track after hitting the gravel. If he was still giving gas once on the gravel, maybe it was to try and drift the back of the car out to pull the nose in and avoid the barrier.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

e30ernest

Shrieker wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 10:04
Yeah exactly. He should've slowed down more on the painted surface to stand any chance of rejoining the track after hitting the gravel. If he was still giving gas once on the gravel, maybe it was to try and drift the back of the car out to pull the nose in and avoid the barrier.
Probably... But any driver would know that doing that would only work if you still had grip on the front tires. If you don't, you'll just understeer straight ahead (like he did here). I think he just got caught in the moment here...

JRindt

Right now, after analysing all the videos, we can say what Max could’ve done there. But, in the heat of the moment, he had to make a split second decision and he didn’t make a good one. In his defence, that’s the most cautious I have ever seen max be on the first lap. So, cut him some slack as he was the innocent party there.

I’ve been pretty ambivalent about max since his debut and even disapproved of his on track moves, but I’m starting to like him more. He just says it the way he sees, instead of all the PR crap the drivers spout out these days. I mean, does anyone remember Leclerc’s monologue after his 2nd place in Austria? Even this weekend, he called out Leclerc for making a dick move on first lap. And let’s face it, as much as I like him, Russel laying down in front of all the cameras was a bit melodramatic to say the least.

Edit: On second look, Max might have been collected by Leclerc had he slowed down too much

e30ernest

JRindt wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 10:32
Right now, after analysing all the videos, we can say what Max could’ve done there. But, in the heat of the moment, he had to make a split second decision and he didn’t make a good one. In his defence, that’s the most cautious I have ever seen max be on the first lap. So, cut him some slack as he was the innocent party there.

I’ve been pretty ambivalent about max since his debut and even disapproved of his on track moves, but I’m starting to like him more. He just says it the way he sees, instead of all the PR crap the drivers spout out these days. I mean, does anyone remember Leclerc’s monologue after his 2nd place in Austria? Even this weekend, he called out Leclerc for making a dick move on first lap. And let’s face it, as much as I like him, Russel laying down in front of all the cameras was a bit melodramatic to say the least.

Edit: On second look, Max might have been collected by Leclerc had he slowed down too much
Yeah I understand that. That's why I mentioned he got caught be the moment. Hindsight is 20/20 afterall.

Leclerc's move was definitely a Leeroy Jenkins moment so he deserves that penalty coming to Abu Dhabi. He owned up to it at least.

SiLo

NathanOlder wrote:
e30ernest wrote:
I thought the same thing! Gravel same colour as tarmac makes it very hard to see the difference and it really looks like he expected that to be tarmac still.
Felipe Baby!

aral

Another reminder....please restrict your comments to the Sakhir GP. Off topic posts can be removed.

Wouter

Moore77 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 19:07
I always thought Hamilton was awful when he speaks (so much of melodrama which he could without), but Max is beating him to that. Lots of unnecessary statements against Ferrari, against his team mate and now against someone who would most likely have shut the door for him on a Mercedes possibility. Like Hamilton, he is bloody good driver, but this frustration that he is masquerading, covered in cheap jibes, isn't going to make him look appealing to any team. In a few years, he would most likely have insulted the whole of the grid and shutting all doors on himself.

There are drivers around him like Leclerc, Norris, Sainz and now Russell, who are all talented to deliver championships to their teams when they have a good car in their hand, rendering Max unwanted and leaving at the sole hope of a Red Bull making a winner. In such difficult circumstances, having an unnecessary loud mouth is plain simple suicidal.
SiLo wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 11:46
NathanOlder wrote:
I thought the same thing! Gravel same colour as tarmac makes it very hard to see the difference and it really looks like he expected that to be tarmac still.
You all are right. Max is very, very stupid! #-o #-o #-o

If there's one driver who knows every inch of a track, it's Max!

And "......having an unnecessary loud mouth is plain simple suicidal." :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

e30ernest

Bono's voice is oddly calming:

Just_a_fan

e30ernest wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 15:46
Bono's voice is oddly calming:

A nice reminder of how complex these cars are to operate and keep "in the window". It's no wonder that some of the quick drivers from junior series seem to lose speed when they get in an F1 car. It's not just about being quick, it's about having enough spare capacity to be quick and also manage the systems.

Of course, back in the day, the drivers didn't have any of these systems or sensors - the cars were simpler to drive. You just steered and pedalled. And people say "modern cars are so easy to drive"... :shock:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest

Palmer's analysis of the Leclerc - Perez - Verstappen crash: