Racing Point RP20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan

Re: Racing Point RP20

hollus wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 13:58
So that's what the floor of the W10 was like!
In the pictures it looks like the diffuser starts as a sharp kink of 60 degrees or even more. Is this possible? That abrupt? I guess they are desperate to make the most of a very limited regulation box.
The reflex diffuser has been the standard F1 diffuser for years. These "steps" at the throat of the diffuser might have been introduced by Ferrari back in the day but my memory is struggling to remember when - 2000 perhaps?

Anyway, they've been around a good long while. Here's a Merc one from above looking from the front. You can see how the diffuser steps up very abruptly. Couldn't find a decent image from below.

You get an abrupt step at the throat and then a relatively horizontal section and then the upcurved exit. It appears to be able to perform like a much taller traditional gentle diffuser throat.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:31
hollus wrote:
In the pictures it looks like the diffuser starts as a sharp kink of 60 degrees or even more. Is this possible? That abrupt? I guess they are desperate to make the most of a very limited regulation box.
The reflex diffuser has been the standard F1 diffuser for years. These "steps" at the throat of the diffuser might have been introduced by Ferrari back in the day but my memory is struggling to remember when - 2000 perhaps?

Anyway, they've been around a good long while. Here's a Merc one from above looking from the front. You can see how the diffuser steps up very abruptly. Couldn't find a decent image from below.

https://i.redd.it/m817scvambaz.png

You get an abrupt step at the throat and then a relatively horizontal section and then the upcurved exit. It appears to be able to perform like a much taller traditional gentle diffuser throat.
I’d noticed that in several different teams, but how do they stop the early (very steep) part of the diffuser from stalling? I get that they are trying to open it up to the maximum of the regulation box, but there has to be some trick involved in getting the flow to follow (and therefore fill) the volume. One of those things that once you have learned you feel stupid for not knowing previously....
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

pierrre

Stu wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:31
hollus wrote:

https://i.redd.it/m817scvambaz.png

I’d noticed that in several different teams, but how do they stop the early (very steep) part of the diffuser from stalling? I get that they are trying to open it up to the maximum of the regulation box, but there has to be some trick involved in getting the flow to follow (and therefore fill) the volume. One of those things that once you have learned you feel stupid for not knowing previously....
that may be a possibility by how efficient it manages to use the top or outer diffuser to create a much bigger diffuser and energize air extraction from the bottom throat to mouth section, using all those wing elements on the outer mouth section to generate enough negative pressure to prevent stall

think gordon murrays t50 fan and how it uses it to attach airflow from a diffuser thats designed to stall. when the fan is turned on, it will energize enough airflow to attach it to the steep slope angle when the fan is set to maximum downforce mode

jjn9128

Stu wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:47
Separation is due to a steep adverse pressure gradient. F1 diffusers have a number of wing like strakes which produce a lower pressure downstream if the throat keeping flow attached. The higher rake used by teams compared to 10 years ago also means the peak in the diffuser isn't as high - because the throat is away from the ground - until the rear axle compresses mid way up a straight to shed drag.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

Sakhir GP
Via Motorsport.com
Last edited by Morteza on 05 Dec 2020, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

bosyber

Morteza wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 17:11
Sakhir GP
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoUk-llWMAE ... name=large
Via @AlbertFabrega
That's a bit bigger than I'd expect from a track that has somewhat Monza like character. Maybe the rough asphalt and the slow corners mean they selected that as the optimum set up to start from?

Owen.C93

Small point. But I thought it was interesting that in this picture you can see the diffuser footplate near the wheel closest to the camera doesn't have the smooth surface like the other side. Maybe they use a cover for it? Hard to make out.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123

That's called perspective. The details you refer to aren't visible on the other side because they are covered by the diffuser
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Owen.C93

Few other perspectives show the same thing.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

wesley123

Owen.C93 wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 18:14
Few other perspectives show the same thing.
There have been 2 pictures posted here, both from the same side. Apart from any possible differences being blocked from view, it's also illogical to assume that such a dedicated aerodynamic element, that has quite an important use, would be asymmetrical.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

The most interesting thing to me on that Racing point floor is that constriction of the step plane after the leading edge of the front splitter.

Everything else i think i have seen before on other cars.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏