[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Hoffman900

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

You could see Checo’s move coming from a mile away, hell I’ve done it. I’m not convinced Leclerc was even going to make the corner.

You usually dive for the apex not expecting someone to be straight lining it up the inside. The braking zones are so short on these F1 cars, that you really can’t see it coming.1s (or 2s, literally) they are way back there, then they are into you.

As pointed out earlier, this is his second incident in the same fashion, third if you count an almost miss. Could you imagine this place if Grosjean did this? His youth can be written off, these guys have hundreds of races under their belt by the time they get to F1. They know how this works

raymondu999

I don’t think he’s particularly hotheaded myself — I think he’s remarkably calm and collected (at least over team radio) for a young driver. But I do think he had his expectations unfairly(?) raised by 2 podiums. That then made everyone around him put him on a pedestal and he’s trying to reachieve that week in week out — overdriving. After a fashion, (on track) it’s kinda reminiscent for me of Hamilton’s 2011.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

raymondu999 wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 03:05
I don’t think he’s particularly hotheaded myself — I think he’s remarkably calm and collected (at least over team radio) for a young driver. But I do think he had his expectations unfairly(?) raised by 2 podiums. That then made everyone around him put him on a pedestal and he’s trying to reachieve that week in week out — overdriving. After a fashion, (on track) it’s kinda reminiscent for me of Hamilton’s 2011.
You raise an interesting point, how much can he gain through experience and more polish?

Braking distances are very short in F1. So short in fact that human reaction time plays a bigger role than if it were longer. LeClerc made his decision to brake too late, did not account for lag in reaction time. No person can react faster than .2 to a novel situation. When the braking event is .8 seconds, that's a quarter of the total event that can be influenced by reaction time.

Experience will teach you to anticipate. Part of having experience is experience with other racers, how often has LeClerc raced Perez wheel to wheel? You saw Verstappen gave Leclerc space because they've raced together, they can anticipate each other's behavior.
Saishū kōnā

Hoffman900

It's not even "that's a signature Perez" move. Charles wasn't going to be anywhere close to making the apex... Checo could have blown the apex by 3' and still likely have been hit. Lastly, Checo diving for the apex was always going to happen. You could see it coming from a mile away and it was his corner anyway. Charles messed up, plain and simple.

Sevach

raymondu999 wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 07:47
All part of the masterplan. I don’t think it’s appropriate to say Resta designed those cars but he certainly did head up the design teams
I find it really weird that he gets sent off to Alfa after heading the design of a highly competent car(suppousedly with the design group "stacked" and "organized" he would be better utilized elsewhere), brought back after things go sideways and then sent off again...

What is it with Ferrari and Simone Resta, why can't they decide if they can use him or not?

raymondu999

I don't think it's with Ferrari/Simone, I think it's with Ferrari/general management of talent.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

Sevach wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 22:08
raymondu999 wrote:
All part of the masterplan. I don’t think it’s appropriate to say Resta designed those cars but he certainly did head up the design teams
I find it really weird that he gets sent off to Alfa after heading the design of a highly competent car(suppousedly with the design group "stacked" and "organized" he would be better utilized elsewhere), brought back after things go sideways and then sent off again...

What is it with Ferrari and Simone Resta, why can't they decide if they can use him or not?
Maybe it went something like....

Ah, if they let me have my way we would have the best car on the grid, but others want this that and the other.

Well if you feel like that, show us.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

LM10

Some interesting words from Binotto on the (crazy) pressure coming from Marchionne back then:

The pressure was there, no doubt. That was the most difficult thing dealing with him. The pressure was such that you had always your mobile [phone] next to you, day and night, because if he was sending you a WhatsApp, you had to reply within 30 seconds. That’s the type of pressure he was putting you under. If you were not answering immediately to whatever text or message he was sending you, then it was clearly a bad start to the day.

Living with the phone next to you was not easy. That was the type of pressure, certainly his way of putting pressure, making sure that you are always awake, always ready to reply. He'd text me in the middle of the race as well. Maybe not in the middle of the night but early morning no doubt.
Asked if Marchionne pushed them to grey zones:
Could be. Could be. I think, first, it’s part of the sport try to interpret the grey zone of the regulations.I think in that respect all the teams are doing it. But then it’s what you interpret as grey or not grey. I think it’s obviously always a limit which is very borderline and difficult. But yes he certainly pushed us – not me, but us – a lot to develop the grey areas as much as we could.

Hoffman900

LM10 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 00:35
Some interesting words from Binotto on the (crazy) pressure coming from Marchionne back then:

The pressure was there, no doubt. That was the most difficult thing dealing with him. The pressure was such that you had always your mobile [phone] next to you, day and night, because if he was sending you a WhatsApp, you had to reply within 30 seconds. That’s the type of pressure he was putting you under. If you were not answering immediately to whatever text or message he was sending you, then it was clearly a bad start to the day.

Living with the phone next to you was not easy. That was the type of pressure, certainly his way of putting pressure, making sure that you are always awake, always ready to reply. He'd text me in the middle of the race as well. Maybe not in the middle of the night but early morning no doubt.
Asked if Marchionne pushed them to grey zones:
Could be. Could be. I think, first, it’s part of the sport try to interpret the grey zone of the regulations.I think in that respect all the teams are doing it. But then it’s what you interpret as grey or not grey. I think it’s obviously always a limit which is very borderline and difficult. But yes he certainly pushed us – not me, but us – a lot to develop the grey areas as much as we could.
If you want to create turnover, chase away good talent, and create an uninspired / unhappy workplace, that’s exactly how you do it.

ryaan2904

Sevach wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 22:08
raymondu999 wrote:

They still plan on using Resta. This move not only helps their relations with Haas f1 team, but also helps them manage his pay (no pay cut) in accordance with the budget cap. They must be getting Haas wind tunnel time as well i guess
CFD Eyes of Sauron

bosyber

Did anyone post this article about Ferrari explaining slow pitstops this year? (I got it from motorsport, but autosport or any other will probably have it too)
"It's true that the number of stops over 3.5 seconds is too high by the Scuderia's past standards, but the vast majority of times that there has been a less than optimal stop, it has been down to a specific problem linked to the wheel nut," said Diego Ioverno, Ferrari's vehicle operation engineer.

"The thread is not strong enough and so the nut has stripped several times. It's a reliability problem we are working hard on to fix for next year.

"When the guys feel, even unconsciously, that they are using a component that is more at risk, with a margin of error for engaging the wheel-gun that is much smaller, that has a negative effect on the whole procedure...."
Makes a lot of sense I guess. This season seems to have a lot of factors pulling them down tough!

aMessageToCharlie

bosyber wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 12:22
Did anyone post this article about Ferrari explaining slow pitstops this year? (I got it from motorsport, but autosport or any other will probably have it too)
"It's true that the number of stops over 3.5 seconds is too high by the Scuderia's past standards, but the vast majority of times that there has been a less than optimal stop, it has been down to a specific problem linked to the wheel nut," said Diego Ioverno, Ferrari's vehicle operation engineer.

"The thread is not strong enough and so the nut has stripped several times. It's a reliability problem we are working hard on to fix for next year.

"When the guys feel, even unconsciously, that they are using a component that is more at risk, with a margin of error for engaging the wheel-gun that is much smaller, that has a negative effect on the whole procedure...."
Makes a lot of sense I guess. This season seems to have a lot of factors pulling them down tough!
I remember Seb saying something similar after the last race when asked about his botched pit stop. He said that they have a difficult car for pit stops and that he's feeling sorry for the pit crew getting the blame. He didnt specify though what the issue with the car was so thank you.

Wouter

After returning to the F1 paddock for last weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix, Binotto is understood to have become ill while he was still in Bahrain, and will fly directly back to Italy.

Team sources have assured Autosport that Binotto has not contracted COVID-19, but is instead suffering from a simple indisposition.

It means the reins for the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix weekend will be again handed over to Ferrari F1 sporting director, Laurent Mekies.
The Power of Dreams!

Sevach

bosyber wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 12:22

Williams had something similar a few years back, when they changed their wheelnuts they went from routinely terrible pitstops to the fastest pitstopping team.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare