Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Andres125sx

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

What is the consumpton of normal EVs?

TNTHead

Andres125sx wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 21:36
It depends on a few things, drag, weight, efficiency of power unit, outside temperature. Typical consumption is about 16 kWh/100 km on average for most EV's. In summer my BMW i3 can do 100 km with 10 to 14 kWh, in winter times 15 to 18 kWh. Lowering speed is a very effective measure because aero drag is squared with speed. Another thing is that density of air increases with lower temperature. Therefore in winter you have more aerodynamic drag.

Andres125sx

TNTHead wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 22:23
Andres125sx wrote:
It depends on a few things, drag, weight, efficiency of power unit, outside temperature. Typical consumption is about 16 kWh/100 km on average for most EV's. In summer my BMW i3 can do 100 km with 10 to 14 kWh, in winter times 15 to 18 kWh. Lowering speed is a very effective measure because aero drag is squared with speed. Another thing is that density of air increases with lower temperature. Therefore in winter you have more aerodynamic drag.

Very interesting, thank you.

They claim in the video less than 100Wh per mile, wich translates to less than 6.25kWh/100km wich is consistent with their range claims

But I guess that will depend on the speed. Into the city it will surely be similar to traditional EVs as the speed is low and drag is not that significant. Range will be better thanks to the light weight but I think it will be on roads where range will increase dramatically compared to traditional EVs as drag is constant so the energy required to maintain the cruising speed will be significantly lower constantly

Almost a half of tesla drag is quite an achivement

Big Tea

Also, hills and stop/start. Although they do not use fuel whils standing still as does an ICE, the accelerating back up to speed is a real drain which is often not included in use figures.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 22:54
Also, hills and stop/start. Although they do not use fuel whils standing still as does an ICE, the accelerating back up to speed is a real drain which is often not included in use figures.
I´ve wondered what are the conditions to homologate range, how much city, how much roads, how many stops... but never bothered enough to do a search :oops:

strad

IF I lived somewhere like Arizona it would be interesting. However where I live in the winter I don't get enough sunlight to charge a solar powered security light.
It is interesting though.
Couple of questions I would have is how long do the solar panels last and how much does it cost to replace them.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 23:25
IF I lived somewhere like Arizona it would be interesting. However where I live in the winter I don't get enough sunlight to charge a solar powered security light.
Couple of questions I would have is how long do the solar panels last and how much does it cost to replace them.
Check out this video from Matt Ferrell, he lives in Boston and they are worth it for him despite the cold climate.

I'm in Melbourne Australia, and while it doesn't snow here, it's one of the least sunny locations in Australia and my small 5.4kW system is saving me about $1,500 Aussie pesos per year:

https://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=4 ... =27734&t=y

Regarding panel life, the good panels, eg LG Mono X series that I used, have a 25-year warranty, and are warranted to provide at least 87.9% of the specified output at the 25-year mark. Most common panels will be lucky to provide 80% of rated output after 25 years. I expect to keep my panels for at least that long.

PS, My Fronius inverter was warranted for 10 years and they recently just bumped that up to 15 years at no cost.
Last edited by djos on 11 Dec 2020, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

nzjrs

TNTHead wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 22:23
Andres125sx wrote:
Question only out of interest; do you notice / know how much of a difference drafting behind another car on the autobahn / motorway makes for EV consumption? We talk about the effect in F1 all the time, but I wonder about normal cars at normal speeds.

Kcmg1600

I hope not. One thing the pro electric people don’t mention or don’t know. It takes the car to go 50,000 miles before the car offsets the carbon footprint needed to make the car.

Greg Locock

My 4 year old panels show no degradation year on year, although of course that is probably global warming exactly compensating for the deterioration. Joke.

The panels themselves have a 25 year life, 10 guaranteed, the electronics rather less.

I do have some 30 year old panels hanging around and the ones that haven't failed still produce roughly their nameplate OCV and SCC. So you get a binary result, panel is either pretty much fine, or useless.

Fulcrum

djos wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 23:59
strad wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 23:25
Check out this video from Matt Ferrell, he lives in Boston and they are worth it for him despite the cold climate.

I'm in Melbourne Australia, and while it doesn't snow here, it's one of the least sunny locations in Australia and my small 5.4kW system is saving me about $1,500 Aussie pesos per year:

https://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=4 ... =27734&t=y

https://i.imgur.com/pwg3XFB.png

Regarding panel life, the good panels, eg LG Mono X series that I used, have a 25-year warranty, and are warranted to provide at least 87.9% of the specified output at the 25-year mark. Most common panels will be lucky to provide 80% of rated output after 25 years. I expect to keep my panels for at least that long.

PS, My Fronius inverter was warranted for 10 years and they recently just bumped that up to 15 years at no cost.
I assume some of the 'dip' in efficiency in 2020 is a result of averaging relative to the days observed in the year thus far, and this will go up slightly with the addition of December's data?

djos

Fulcrum wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 05:34
I assume some of the 'dip' in efficiency in 2020 is a result of averaging relative to the days observed in the year thus far, and this will go up slightly with the addition of December's data?
We are also only 11 days into December, so it should improve (it's now summer here).
"In downforce we trust"

Fulcrum

djos wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 05:44
Fulcrum wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 05:34
We are also only 11 days into December, so it should improve (it's now summer here).
Yes, that is self-evident considering you have stated where you live. My question related more to how the efficiency rating had been calculated.

Do you have comparative generation data over like-for-like intervals? E.g. year to date excluding December?

djos

Yes, click the link above the image and you can see all of my generation data (consumption isn’t public).

The efficiency calculation is iirc simply a function of generation compared to array size over time. It’s an automatic PVO calculation.
"In downforce we trust"

strad

It's not just cold here. There is very little sunshine. Many days you NEVER see the sun, not even a bright spot in the sky.
As I have said I have a number of solar lights that work fine when there is sun but this time of year they don't get enough sunlight to work. This part of the U.S. sux for anything sun related. I get as many sunny days as Arizona get rainy day. and as often as not in AZ. when it rains there is still sunlight. Not here.. Here it is dark and miserable .Plus this time of year the sun sets by 4:30 in the afternoon. 7:47 am to 4:19 pm. :(
I don't think the cost of replacing the Atera solar panel is comparable to the ones on your roof. No doubt you have to take it to the dealer to have them swap them out at what $100 and hour labor rate plus whatever they want for them..
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss