Force India VJM02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Will the VJM02 improve the teams constructors standings compared to '08?

Poll ended at 15 Mar 2009, 22:22

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 88

mx_tifoso

Force India VJM02

An official announcement states that the new VJM02 will be launched on Sunday at Jerez. The intro will feature the new car being driven on track, although for simple shakedown reasons, leaving formal testing for the following five days of testing with the rest of the teams.

Hopefully the Mercedes powertrain, drivetrain, and KERS will be a big push in their performance, and not to forget the technical collaboration with McLaren as well. Taking all of that into consideration, it will be quite difficult for the team not to progress this season. Hopefully the remaining pre-season tests will be of good use and allow them to go to Australia ready to be competitive. I'm looking forward to the new livery and launch pictures...

What do guys make of Force India's new car? Think it will improve upon their first year in Formula One?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

ISLAMATRON

Re: Force India VJM02

cant get less than zero points.

And they are already ahead of Honda & Super aguri, but they still might be the last team on the grid.

RacingManiac

I think its more of an issue of who can they beat.....

donskar

RacingManiac wrote:I think its more of an issue of who can they beat.....
There's the key: if they can't score points with help from Merc and McL, then they should stick to brewing Kingfisher.

I look forward to VJM scuttling back to India and more profitable ventures.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Conceptual

donskar wrote:
RacingManiac wrote:I think its more of an issue of who can they beat.....
There's the key: if they can't score points with help from Merc and McL, then they should stick to brewing Kingfisher.

I look forward to VJM scuttling back to India and more profitable ventures.

If they keep this up, Ebay will become saturated with F1 teams for sale...

mx_tifoso

Why such a negative outlook 'donskar'?

I don't understand why you would look forward to another team withdrawing. Seeing how we will most likely only have 18 cars on the grid in Australia, losing two more would be terrible.

Even though I didn't like FI that much when they bought Spyker, I know appreciate them a lot more. We need as many quality teams as possible, and I believe FI are in that category for the time being.

Although I don't undertand the reason for dismissing Gascoyne and Kolles from their respective positions, and for Mallya to take it upon himself to run a Formula One team. Maybe because he sees that Briatore can do so could he, we'll see how that works out for him soon enough.

And besides, they have increased (McLaren) Mercedes' income by using their powertrain, drivetrain, and KERS. And will help them in the R&D department as well. Another +.

xpensive

This team has been passed around like a tray of cookies over the past years, now it's VJM's turn to run out of money, interest or both and shut down at the end of the year. Hope Mercedes got paid in advance.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

andartop

The only reason I like this team is Fisico. I wish it could be bought back by Jordan or Spyker. As stated earlier, the biggest issue will be that they run out of teams they can beat. Maybe Williams? Would hate to see 16 cars on the grid next year though..
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

xpensive

Eight teams for 2010, if we are that happy? But anyway, Fisi is a favourite of mine too, if it had not been for that inconsistency of his, I am certain he would have been able to challenge even Alonso on a regular basis, just look at how easily he handled Button.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Fil

andartop wrote:I wish it could be bought back by Jordan or Spyker
Spyker was the worst thing that happened to that team. A car manufacturer that was going broke owning an F1 team.. sure that sounded promising!
I do admit tho, it would be great to see Eddie back in the sport competitively. Seems the only place for truely outspoken characters with personality in F1 is as a team owner.

Mallya has been a positive breath of fresh air for a team that turned stale like orange cheese. teaming up with Mercedes is a very smart move on his behalf and can only bode well for the future, especially if they are to hold onto Sutil.

its now an evenly poised and fascinating battle of the two privateers supported by heavyweight manufacturers: Williams vs Force India

i wish them both the best of luck for 09.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Spencifer_Murphy

I really like FIF1, and personally I think Mallya is a great thing for them and the sport. He, like Branson (if he ever gets involved) are more like what we need atm, people with money who are willing to back a team seriously, rather than a manufacturer looking purely to boost car sales. (Obviously Mallya has other incentives too...advertise Brewing empire & airline etc etc etc, buit still he has passion for his team and his country - much like Sir Frank, and no I'm not saying Mallya is like Mr. Williams, just that its a very loose comparison))

With regards to the car, a couple of F1 Racing issues ago they showed windtunnel testing in the FIF1 labs...the few shots of the model gave me the impression that the car could be quite interesting...nothing like the R29 or RB5 or anything, but still interesting none the less.

It looks aerodynamically sound (from the very little images I saw) and with the Mercedes engine they should be capable of an improvement over last year.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

donskar

mx_tifosi wrote:Why such a negative outlook 'donskar'?

I don't understand why you would look forward to another team withdrawing. Seeing how we will most likely only have 18 cars on the grid in Australia, losing two more would be terrible.

Even though I didn't like FI that much when they bought Spyker, I know appreciate them a lot more. We need as many quality teams as possible, and I believe FI are in that category for the time being.

Although I don't undertand the reason for dismissing Gascoyne and Kolles from their respective positions, and for Mallya to take it upon himself to run a Formula One team. Maybe because he sees that Briatore can do so could he, we'll see how that works out for him soon enough.

And besides, they have increased (McLaren) Mercedes' income by using their powertrain, drivetrain, and KERS. And will help them in the R&D department as well. Another +.
To clarify: My comments are based on my personal experience (not on opinion or assumption) working for and with Indian high tech companies. I do NOT look forward to another team withdrawing. I do fear that Mallya will cut and run if the going gets a little rough. I hope I am 100% wrong about him. Ideally (IMHO), he would sell the team to an individual or group who would have the guts and the gold to make it work.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

blobslosak

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
With regards to the car, a couple of F1 Racing issues ago they showed windtunnel testing in the FIF1 labs...the few shots of the model gave me the impression that the car could be quite interesting...nothing like the R29 or RB5 or anything, but still interesting none the less.

It looks aerodynamically sound (from the very little images I saw) and with the Mercedes engine they should be capable of an improvement over last year.
Do you have any links to those pics? Would be interesting to have a look at.

mx_tifoso

I don't see why Mallya should put too much of his money into the team, seeing how Force India has a plethora of sponsors. So if things are as I see them, he will stick around even if things get rougher, hopefully.

The cost cuts are definately helping the sport.

EDIT: This thread can be about the VJM02 in general, nothing specific actually. The poll was merely to get the opinion of people, but it wasn't meant to direct the threads discussion. I apologize for making it seem like that.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 26 Feb 2009, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.

Professor

If I may say so, the thread seems to be a bit undisiplined. The question was whether the FI F1 would improve as compared to last year. It was not whether Vijay would make money or drop out.

I haven't heard the topic question answered. I would say this: If they don't improve they will be gone next year. With the back half of the car Macca, there must be an improvement technically and sportingly. I think they will be faster, but I'm not sure where that will leave them relative to others.

But, this thread has focused on the business aspects of Force India and the guesses about where they are headed in their commercial efforts. To that question I would say this:Improve and they are alive. Do not mprove, they are dead.