2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zibby43

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

Single Lap Pace

Cornering Performance (Merc dominant in the low-speed corners)

Race Pace

When I see slow-speed cornering performance like that from the W11, it makes it readily apparent to me that the car is extremely adaptable on set-up, and that while they may have stopped developing the car a while ago, they also started adhering to the “only win by as much as you need to” philosophy after the FIA tried to clip their wings with the quail mode ban.

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 21:35
Single Lap Pace

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg

Race Pace

When I see slow-speed cornering performance like that from the W11, it makes it readily apparent to me that the car is extremely adaptable on set-up, and that while they may have stopped developing the car a while ago, they also started adhering to the “only win by as much as you need to” philosophy after the FIA tried to clip their wings with the quail mode ban.
If williams knows what is good for them, they spend their tokens on a Mercedes suspension. It is clear their suspension and steering is archaic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 03:38
zibby43 wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 21:35
Single Lap Pace

Race Pace

If williams knows what is good for them, they spend their tokens on a Mercedes suspension. It is clear their suspension and steering is archaic.
It surprised me that it went under the radar a bit at the beginning of the season, but Merc's rear suspension design for this season was a masterstroke on 2 fronts: 1) it provided a pointier car that was easier to rotate (coupled with the upstream changes that were made to accommodate placing the inboard section of the lower wishbone in the crash structure, rather than the gearbox); and 2) it helped boost diffuser performance, which obviously helps overall efficiency.

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 12:11
Surprised that Sky are talking about Mazepin's video. Its definitely now a big issue if its being talked about live during sky's broadcast. I wonder how Haas is feeling right now knowing they are signing this moron.
Isn't this blown out of proportion?
All I saw was some kids having fun. Maybe inappropriate for posting on Instagram, but AFAIK even that is something she did.
This "politically correct" world has gone too far. Hypocrisy!

search

Racer X wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:46
It's my understanding that when you set YOUR engine it must stay in THAT mode during Qualifying and Race. Which is why it makes it interesting because you've got to set it up right. If you set it too high and burn out like Racing Point did in Bahrain you will look fast for a minute but then boom. Or you could miscalculate and be too slow.

But the engine modes are each teams to lock in during Qualifying and Race.
I don't know, also AMuS was pretty clear back then that also team mates had to use the same modes - but it never made any sense to be, and the full ruleset was not published accessible for the public. It may have been just a misunderstanding, which was then copied by different outlets.

TheGkbrk

I wonder how that R25 doing a flying lap in Fernando's hands would compare to current F1 cars.

Mogster

Moore77 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 04:58
The current cars are so ugly big.
After starting to watch F1 in the 80s with the wide 220cm cars I never liked the look of the tall narrow cars, they reminded me of F3/F2. I agree the current cars are too long but 2m width and the wide tyres is about right for F1. Indycar and Superformula are just under 2m wide.

LM10

TheGkbrk wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:46
I wonder how that R25 doing a flying lap in Fernando's hands would compare to current F1 cars.
It would be slower by several seconds.

Zynerji

LM10 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 13:08
TheGkbrk wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 10:46
It would be slower by several seconds.
The corner exit torque alone should be a couple of seconds in the Hybrids favor.

Restomaniac

So this weekend.
Magnussen’s last race.
Grojean’s last race.
Ricciardo’s last race in the Renault.
Perez’s last race.
Vettel’s last race in the Ferrari.
Sainz’s last race in the McLaren.
Albon’s last race in the RedBull?

I don’t think I’ve missed anyone.

toraabe

search wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 20:38
toraabe wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 18:28
Sieper wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 16:07
Perez killed Max’ hotlap on the softs. A real future RBR driver move.
Expect Perez to do well. New engine that is going to last only one race. Will be absolutely full beans . Like Hamilton in Brazil 2017.
is this still possible though? When the new engine rule (on from Monza) was announced, reports said "all engines from the same supplier must be run in the same mode on a given weekend"
Too bad. Would have been fun though.

Shrieker

So the merc got that whack to the underside, but wasn't damaged ? Wow..
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton slid in turn six. Some time on the table.

Bulls are within a shout of pole. Albon on the pace for once.

Sort of a boring session.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Wow max!
Perfect drive.

Great in the middle sector. Drivers at the max. He deserves it. First non-mercedes pole. Never expected this.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

Pole! Get in there!!! Not Lewis! Now you just need to botch the start.
Saishū kōnā