Alonso drives Renault R25 at Yas Marina Circuit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
V12-POWER

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

Sevach wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 13:52
Steven wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 22:04
jjn9128 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 21:24

It's on the Pirelli "demo" compound tyres which accounts for some of the deficit.
Those tyres are still a whole lot smaller than the current ones.
But, exactly that might explain how the car is maybe very quick on the straight as well.
Pity they didn't have a set of Michelins lying around somewhere :D

In any case, the car looks and sounds quicker than today's cars, imho.
F1 "evolved" in the wrong direction, with the limos and extra weight.
With the cooler more rubbered in conditions of Q3 and more setup work (the car was never suppoused to run on these tires, with "pirelli safe" pressures), it would probably shave a decent amount of time too, give Latifi a run for his money lol.

and the fact they’re most probably taking it easy on the engine, you can barely hear the traction control so maybe they also run a very ”light” map with it too. On the short vid F1 channel posted it seemed to smoke a bit after the TC kicked in

I believe this car can do a 1:36 running all out, it is a monster, it might be slower but it just doesn’t rely on endless stuff to be fast.

This is what embodies a speed machine

btw does anyone have footage of the Saturday run? Can’t find anywhere

JordanMugen

Re: Alonso drives Renault R25 at Yas Marina Circuit

jjn9128 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 11:48
You deliberately picked the ugliest narrow track Renault you could find for that comparison didn't you :P
Yes, yes I did. :P :lol:

jjn9128

I think it's quite telling about the state of modern f1 that a lot of folk were more excited by a 15 year old car doing some demo laps than the actual race.

Is it a load of oldies with rose tinted specs on? Or is it that f1 really is missing something?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Big Tea

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 13:22
I think it's quite telling about the state of modern f1 that a lot of folk were more excited by a 15 year old car doing some demo laps than the actual race.

Is it a load of oldies with rose tinted specs on? Or is it that f1 really is missing something?
To me, it just took some of the gloss of the memory of the sound, but did really tickle a spot with the agility.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DChemTech

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 13:22

It's probably a bit of both.
I do accept the sound will not be as it was back then - tech moves on. But I sure to hope that cars do get smaller and more nervous again at some point. Limousine racing just doesn't look as exiting.

toraabe

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

V12-POWER wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 17:26
Sevach wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 13:52
Steven wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 22:04

Those tyres are still a whole lot smaller than the current ones.
But, exactly that might explain how the car is maybe very quick on the straight as well.
Pity they didn't have a set of Michelins lying around somewhere :D

In any case, the car looks and sounds quicker than today's cars, imho.
F1 "evolved" in the wrong direction, with the limos and extra weight.
With the cooler more rubbered in conditions of Q3 and more setup work (the car was never suppoused to run on these tires, with "pirelli safe" pressures), it would probably shave a decent amount of time too, give Latifi a run for his money lol.

and the fact they’re most probably taking it easy on the engine, you can barely hear the traction control so maybe they also run a very ”light” map with it too. On the short vid F1 channel posted it seemed to smoke a bit after the TC kicked in

I believe this car can do a 1:36 running all out, it is a monster, it might be slower but it just doesn’t rely on endless stuff to be fast.

This is what embodies a speed machine

btw does anyone have footage of the Saturday run? Can’t find anywhere
With the new wide tyres... even better

Just_a_fan

It's perhaps worth remembering that the cars have developed as they have in part because they have to manage the tyres as well as manage PU component life. So the cars are increasingly designed to be stable and not move around unnecessarily. I'd bet that the R25 wouldn't do the race on only one stop with the current tyres. Well, not and be as quick as it was on the demo runs. Also, it would run out of fuel. :lol:

It would be interesting to see how fast a V10-engined W11 would be - assuming the associated weight loss of losing the battery etc. was carried over. A 900bhp V10 weighing 150kg less would be quite nippy I'd think.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

I think that says a lot about what I'm talking about - even drivers are excited by the spectacle of those cars. They have the fastest cars ever but they get giddy when a v10 goes by.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 18:07
I think that says a lot about what I'm talking about - even drivers are excited by the spectacle of those cars. They have the fastest cars ever but they get giddy when a v10 goes by.
Have you seen the several video's of Hamilton (and Button) drooling over a V6 turbo back when they were racing high revving V8's?

strad

What does it matter if the cars are a few seconds faster OR slower? What matters, at least to me, is the entertainment value.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

AMG.Tzan

Jolle wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 19:16
jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 18:07
Have you seen the several video's of Hamilton (and Button) drooling over a V6 turbo back when they were racing high revving V8's?
Exactly that!

People just forget when in 2004 we were all looking back at 80s turbos or the early 90s V12s and we were all saying "wow these cars were so beautiful and powerful"!

I remember back in 2007-2008 i thought the cars looked so ugly compared to 1990-1994 cars! I thought (and I still think) that the early 90s cars were the most iconic with the sparks flying behind the front wheels! Now though I look back at the 2008 Mclaren and think "wow...what a work of art that was!"

It all has to do with nostalgia...people always tend to think that the past was always better than the present! V10s were beautiful until 2005 but not in 2020 just like V12s were beautiful in the early 90s but not in 2005!

I'm sure in 10 years time we will all look back at the 2020 Mercedes and we'll say "wow...what a work of art that was!! The fastest car in history..." :wink:
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

e30ernest

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 02:44
I'm sure in 10 years time we will all look back at the 2020 Mercedes and we'll say "wow...what a work of art that was!! The fastest car in history..." :wink:
Nostalgia is a strong thing. I'm pretty sure we will look back to the 2020 Mercs as works of art as well.

TBH put side by side, the R25 looks like a toy car now compared to the current car. Don't get me wrong, I still think the R25 is a beautiful car.

Me personally I'd love to see something between the current cars and that era of cars. I'd love to see smaller, lighter cars powered by today's hybrid engines without the engine durability requirements. Then bring back the tire wars. Then we'd be seeing higher revving, ultra-high-torque, on the limit PUs propelling very light cars. :mrgreen:

strad

Or is it that f1 really is missing something?
YES!! Yes it is.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss