2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ringleheim

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

One of the most boring F1 races I recall watching....ever.

At least the off-season isn't quite so long this time around.

Highlight of the weekend, by far, was Alonso's laps in the R25.

These vacuum cleaners will be gone at some point! I have faith in that!

DChemTech

Ringleheim wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 09:30

They will, and if F1 wants to remain technologically relevant, something more efficient will come in their place. Hydrogen or methanol fuel cells perhaps, or highly efficient combustion engines with synthetic fuels.

The other option is that F1 just accepts it's a relic of a time long gone, like horseracing. Pay off their emissions and revert to noisy engines for spectacle. Focus on entertainment, rather than development.

e30ernest

DChemTech wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 10:22
Ringleheim wrote:

They will, and if F1 wants to remain technologically relevant, something more efficient will come in their place. Hydrogen or methanol fuel cells perhaps, or highly efficient combustion engines with synthetic fuels.

The other option is that F1 just accepts it's a relic of a time long gone, like horseracing. Pay off their emissions and revert to noisy engines for spectacle. Focus on entertainment, rather than development.
I don't see a future where F1 stays with ICE. They will probably eventually evolve into a higher-spec all electric series to Formula E where manufacturers have more freedom on chassis and powertrains.

DChemTech

e30ernest wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 10:24
DChemTech wrote:
Ringleheim wrote:

I don't see a future where F1 stays with ICE. They will probably eventually evolve into a higher-spec all electric series to Formula E where manufacturers have more freedom on chassis and powertrains.
Doesn't FE have some deal with FIA that it's the leading electric series for the coming X years? In that case, F1 has some work to do.

wesley123

Wouter wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:48
Dieter Rencken:

Both Mercedes drivers qualified and finished behind Max Verstappen, who won the race by 15 seconds. However Wolff does not believe Hamilton, who spent the race behind team mate Valtteri Bottas, would have been able to win even if he had been at full strength.

“The answer is no because – of course he wasn’t 100% and that’s always negative – but Red Bull, both cars were simply quicker than us this whole weekend. We never quite got it right.”

Wolff described the result as a “slap on the wrist” for Mercedes.

“Everybody has weaknesses and we weren’t on our ‘A-game’ this weekend,” he said. “That’s simply a fact, and Red Bull won fair and square.

“You can see that also Albon had a very good race. They had a very good race car and it shows that when their car is in the right place, both drivers [can] do really good job. Probably Albon’s pace was quicker than ours at the end so it could have ended even worse for us.”
I'd say the wink Wolff gave before the start of the race said enough. At no point in the weekend did they seem bothered by not being the fastest.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Just_a_fan

DChemTech wrote:
That would probably require a single engine supplier for the whole grid. Could / would Ferrari provide engines for 20 teams? Logistically, yes of course they could, but would they want to? Being beaten by a team using your engine means they're doing a better job somewhere/everywhere else. And that's not good for the ego/brand.

So at least one other engine supplier would be required (Ferrari won't race with anything other than their own engines, that's a given).

Oh, and you'd need to find someone to take over the manufacturer teams , either by taking on the teams or bringing in a new team to replace each of them. Mercedes and Renault won't want to go back to N/A V8 or V10 engines as they're outward looking at the world as a whole and their position in it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 11:22
DChemTech wrote:
That would probably require a single engine supplier for the whole grid. Could / would Ferrari provide engines for 20 teams? Logistically, yes of course they could, but would they want to? Being beaten by a team using your engine means they're doing a better job somewhere/everywhere else. And that's not good for the ego/brand.

So at least one other engine supplier would be required (Ferrari won't race with anything other than their own engines, that's a given).

Oh, and you'd need to find someone to take over the manufacturer teams , either by taking on the teams or bringing in a new team to replace each of them. Mercedes and Renault won't want to go back to N/A V8 or V10 engines as they're outward looking at the world as a whole and their position in it.
Honestly, if that's the way things are going, I doubt manufacturer teams will have a significant role in F1. If it becomes an entertainment-only class, I'd expect it to be a semi-spec series full of privateers. Indeed, one or two engine manufacturers, but more likely a Cosworth-type of company. Strict budget caps, some aerodynamic freedom. More emphasis on drivers than on cars. The manufacturers will go where the innovation goes - be it FE, be it another class. Anyway, this thread may not be the place for such future projections :p

e30ernest

DChemTech wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 10:35
e30ernest wrote:
DChemTech wrote:

Doesn't FE have some deal with FIA that it's the leading electric series for the coming X years? In that case, F1 has some work to do.
I didn't know that was the case. But the manufacturers would want to go towards a more electrified setup in the future (because that will be what is relevant for them). In the same reason why sticking to turbo hybrids now will be more relevant to them than going back to the V8/10/12 NA screamers.

sosic2121

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 23:26
So with the engines turned down for threat of explosions RedBull had an open goal to win basically. Mercedes could have pulled some tactics there to at least make it hard for them. Boring race.

I wanted a cake-walk and i got a
Cake-walk but not for the team i wanted. Oh well.
Maybe Russell would win. Shame he didn't get a chance.

Mogster

e30ernest wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 14:49
DChemTech wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 10:35
e30ernest wrote:

I didn't know that was the case. But the manufacturers would want to go towards a more electrified setup in the future (because that will be what is relevant for them). In the same reason why sticking to turbo hybrids now will be more relevant to them than going back to the V8/10/12 NA screamers.
Pat Symonds mentioned opposed 2 stroke ICEs a few months ago.

Sieper

Can we go back on topic. These engine and formula questions are more for general topics. Thanks guys.

strad

Could not agree more except I would expand it to the most boring season ever and expand that to the last couple of seasons.
I have had a few races where a few hours after watching I couldn't remember anything significant that happened.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

SmallSoldier

strad wrote:
Could not agree more except I would expand it to the most boring season ever and expand that to the last couple of seasons.
I have had a few races where a few hours after watching I couldn't remember anything significant that happened.
Most boring season? I believe it was the best season we have had in several years... Enjoyed the hell out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aMessageToCharlie

Anyone happen to know if Hamilton got a radio call from Toto like Bottas before his Q3 run? "All you've got".

Seemed strange for the TP to get on the radio.
Did Hamilton get the same message? If not, why? Did they expect Hamilton to be off the pace because of his Covid recovery? If so, why put him in the car in the first place?

Maybe I'm just over interpreting. Really strange weekend from the Champions none the less.

SmallSoldier

aMessageToCharlie wrote:Anyone happen to know if Hamilton got a radio call from Toto like Bottas before his Q3 run? "All you've got".

Seemed strange for the TP to get on the radio.
Did Hamilton get the same message? If not, why? Did they expect Hamilton to be off the pace because of his Covid recovery? If so, why put him in the car in the first place?

Maybe I'm just over interpreting. Really strange weekend from the Champions none the less.
According to Toto, it was a request from Bottas himself to have a bit more communication.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk