2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
qatmix

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 21:45
strad wrote:
One of the most boring F1 races I recall watching....ever.
Could not agree more except I would expand it to the most boring season ever and expand that to the last couple of seasons.
I have had a few races where a few hours after watching I couldn't remember anything significant that happened.
Most boring season? I believe it was the best season we have had in several years... Enjoyed the hell out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, the season has been fantastic. We had two winners that were not in the top three teams. The last race was pretty boring, but that's just sport. I can watch a football match for 90mins and that ends up 0-0.. At least we had the battle for third and there is always the potential for a curveball such as reliability, or a driver error that can break the stalemate.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Well, today with the YDT the F1 saison came to an end.
Nyck de Vries who never drove an F1 car was 2th overall today in the W11.
What are they saying? The result is 90% of the car and 10 % of the driver. :wink:

Nyck de Vries

"Today was very special, making my Formula One debut. What an incredible car, it’s from a different planet really. You can brake so late and carry so much speed through the corners. It was a real pleasure to drive. I’m really pleased with the progression I made throughout the day and the work we completed. I was quite surprised with how quickly I felt comfortable in the car and the team was very supportive, doing everything they could to make me feel as comfortable as possible. A massive thanks to Mercedes for this very unique and special opportunity because it was a great day in the car."
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 22:59
What are they saying? The result is 90% of the car and 10 % of the driver. :wink:

Nyck de Vries

"Today was very special, making my Formula One debut. What an incredible car, it’s from a different planet really. You can brake so late and carry so much speed through the corners. It was a real pleasure to drive. I’m really pleased with the progression I made throughout the day and the work we completed. I was quite surprised with how quickly I felt comfortable in the car and the team was very supportive, doing everything they could to make me feel as comfortable as possible. A massive thanks to Mercedes for this very unique and special opportunity because it was a great day in the car."
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpTWFpuWEAE ... name=small
They also say put 1 proper F1 driver in amongst a load of kids, and no matter what car the proper F1 driver has, he will beat them. The kids in the W11, beat the kids in the other cars. surprise surprise #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

How does Alonso fit in to any definition of "young driver"? :shock: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
NdeV has some success in his back catalogue. Won titles in junior series and has won races in LMP2 too. Obviously has some talent.

Of course, the real point that you've conveniently forgotten to mention is that he's 1.3s slower than the Mercedes F1 team drivers in the same car at this circuit. :wink:

strad

two winners that were not in the top three teams.
But How did we get those winners?
Fantastic over takes? No.
Sudden improvement by those teams? No.
It wasn't because of great racing but just because of others having disastrous breaks that shook up the outcome. Nothing exciting except for those teams that received an un-expected boost.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:54
Wouter wrote:
NdeV has some success in his back catalogue. Won titles in junior series and has won races in LMP2 too. Obviously has some talent.

Of course, the real point that you've conveniently forgotten to mention is that he's 1.3s slower than the Mercedes F1 team drivers in the same car at this circuit. :wink:
At a different time of the day. :wink:
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Moore77

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:49
Neither does Vandoorne, Kubica or Buemi. :lol:
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

PlatinumZealot

Wouter wrote:

Nyck de Vries

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EpTWFpuWEAE ... name=small
Any decent driver worth their salt will be up to speed in an F1 car in a hundred laps. It has four tyres, steering wheel and brakes! Ha
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:

So you want to compare Nyck de Vries, who has never driven an F1 car before in his life, to Bottas,
who has driven 4 seasons with Williams and 4 seasons with the world champion Mercedes ?!

You even want to compare him with a 7! time world champion, who is currently counted as the best driver on the grid and already 8! years drives with the world champion Mercedes ?!

You are right, Nyck should be able to match their times right away. :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o
The Power of Dreams!

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 09:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:

So you want to compare Nyck de Vries, who has never driven an F1 car before in his life, to Bottas,
who has driven 4 seasons with Williams and 4 seasons with the world champion Mercedes ?!

You even want to compare him with a 7! time world champion, who is currently counted as the best driver on the grid and already 8! years drives with the world champion Mercedes ?!

You are right, Nyck should be able to match their times right away. :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o
He was just pointing out the bs about 90% car 10% driver. If that was the case, any driver from F2 up should easily be able to get within a few tenths. It would take an exceptional talent like a Russell, Leclerc, Verstappen to get in the car and be on the pace right from the start. Which is exactly what we've seen over the last few years.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Moore77 wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 03:34
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 00:49
Neither does Vandoorne, Kubica or Buemi. :lol:
Indeed so. A strange event really if they're just giving their mates a drive. :lol:

Just_a_fan

Wouter wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 09:54
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:

You missed my point. NathanOlder covers it nicely.

DChemTech

Just_a_fan wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Still did better than Van Doorne with a full year of experience, though.
Kubica also not too bad, considering the AlfaTauri is a brick. Mick is a bit dissapointing, one would hope he'd beat the Williams with Nissany at least. On the other hand, we don't know what was tested, so hard to make definitive conclusions on this ;)