[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

ispano6 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 22:11
The other car could have been piloted by Ricciardo or Sainz had they stayed but they left on their own accord. Maybe they were afraid to be powered by Honda or they knew they wouldn't get equal treatment to Max.
Ricciardo left because of the equal treatment thing after Baku. And the money didn’t hurt either. I think Sainz also for similar reasons. If the team decides they favour the other driver and you have your own ambitions then you should leave for your own sake.

El Scorchio

Sieper wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 11:47
Ted Kravitz. His babbles always seem like he is trying to fill time. He even goes as far as literally talking about that, how much time he has killed.
Well he is sometimes. He’s trying to improvise 30 minutes of live, unrehearsed TV as he goes along and hit his timings while walking down the pit lane and interacting with people while other people talk in his ear. Which is very very difficult.

Revs84

El Scorchio wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 12:06
Sieper wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 11:47
Ted Kravitz. His babbles always seem like he is trying to fill time. He even goes as far as literally talking about that, how much time he has killed.
Well he is sometimes. He’s trying to improvise 30 minutes of live, unrehearsed TV as he goes along and hit his timings while walking down the pit lane and interacting with people while other people talk in his ear. Which is very very difficult.
From what I can see from his notebook features, Ted generally doesn't give away confidential information. But he does mentions rumours, of which there are generally aplenty in the paddock. And from what I can see, these rumours sometimes do hold some truth.

I'm personally not a fan of Perez, but if Red Bull really went down that route, wouldn't it be a win win for them? Albon's performance this year has been, to put it nicely, not up to par. However, he is a known quantity in the Red Bull car. Perez, whilst having had a great season, isn't. Don't forget that Albon, like Gasly, was promoted because he was showing great promise. Look how that turned out.

So if they sign Perez and keep Albon as a reserve driver, whilst questionable in a lot of ways, they get to check a number of boxes:

1. They will appease the Thai Red Bull owners by keeping him on the team and maybe giving him some outings
2. They get Perez's sponsor money
3. They have a backup plan if Perez fails as well

LHamilton

Will they get Perez money though? Because Red Bull is sponsored by AT&T, and Perez money is Telcel, another telephone company. So you would think there is a bit of a conflict there to be resolved. And would Perez "ditch" his sponsor to drive the Red Bull? I don't think Telcel would be to happy about that, given what they have done to his career. And AT&T is one rival to Telcel in Mexico, so there is a chance of Telcel loosing some influence of mexicans see Perez strolling around ONLY in a Red Bull shirt covered with AT&T logo.

godlameroso

Perez's backer isn't Telecel, someone associated with Telecel, and AT&T isn't anywhere close to being a title sponsor. If Perez brings any money, at least enough to cover his salary, I think it would be enough.

Red Bull sold a lot of cans this year, unlike the car market, 2020 positively affected R B sales.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:27
Perez's backer isn't Telecel, someone associated with Telecel, and AT&T isn't anywhere close to being a title sponsor. If Perez brings any money, at least enough to cover his salary, I think it would be enough.

Red Bull sold a lot of cans this year, unlike the car market, 2020 positively affected R B sales.
If perez so important for his country and it makes good marketing for Redbull brand, honda brand and if both party gives importance that market, then it is enough.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

lio007

I'm a bit concerned:
Helmut Marko wrote:The inconsistencies arose because our wind tunnel, which is an older model, gave incorrect information with the wider car. This has been recognized in the meantime and partially corrected.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... anz-marko/

lio007

And no new title sponsorship next year:
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... r/4928451/

Revs84

lio007 wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 12:20
I'm a bit concerned:
Helmut Marko wrote:The inconsistencies arose because our wind tunnel, which is an older model, gave incorrect information with the wider car. This has been recognized in the meantime and partially corrected.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... anz-marko/
More concerning is the fact that this issue has been there since 2017. If I recall well, they had already mentioned it back then and had said that this was sorted... Seems like it wasn't, so makes you wonder if it is indeed sorted now...

godlameroso

Correlation issue = we screwed up. Humans make mistakes, even million dollar mistakes. There's a lot of details and CFD and the tunnel can't account for them all.
Saishū kōnā

lio007

Nevertheless it's a bit surprising that they don't update their wind tunnel, given the fact that Alpha Tauri will move from it's Bicester wind tunnel to RB's in Bedford.

godlameroso

It's not hopeless, remember the tunnel and CFD are tools. At the end of the day it's the monkey pulling the lever that's getting it done. If people overlook something, or lack understanding, then it takes seeing it and then understanding the issue before you can solve it. If they didn't have the deficit to overcome, would they gain the same understanding? Say that you're already ahead, if everyone else is a fair bit behind you how would you know where you can gain? On the other hand, if you're behind, and you're desperately trying to catch up, you're going to go over exactly where you're behind, see the variables you can't control, and see which ones you can, and how to improve.

In the end, they understood the issue, and their tools were good enough to help them implement the proper changes, so one step back to go two and a half steps forward. Not so bad if you ask me.
Saishū kōnā

TNTHead

godlameroso wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 23:31
It's not hopeless, remember the tunnel and CFD are tools. At the end of the day it's the monkey pulling the lever that's getting it done. If people overlook something, or lack understanding, then it takes seeing it and then understanding the issue before you can solve it. If they didn't have the deficit to overcome, would they gain the same understanding? Say that you're already ahead, if everyone else is a fair bit behind you how would you know where you can gain? On the other hand, if you're behind, and you're desperately trying to catch up, you're going to go over exactly where you're behind, see the variables you can't control, and see which ones you can, and how to improve.

In the end, they understood the issue, and their tools were good enough to help them implement the proper changes, so one step back to go two and a half steps forward. Not so bad if you ask me.
And in the article from AMuS they pointed to the front wing and difficulties sealing the floor (my interpretation). If they indeed have a good front wing / cape than half of the car is already sorted out what should give a good basis for further developments.

They even suggested that the new wing reduced drag for a significant amount bringing them back in the mix with the Mercs.

maxxer

Perez will join the team and Albon will become reserve/test driver to be officially anounced friday morning