[ 2020 ] Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: [ 2020 ] Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Romain tonight on Zoom for the FIA Prize Giving 2020.

The Power of Dreams!

Manoah2u

Wouter wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 22:10

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Epiu4TRWMAA ... me=900x900
So glad this due is still all smiles.

Man, look at his hands. i'm honestly pretty surprised that the gloves and socks aren't updated with the overall (and, possibly, helmet) fire safety protection.

It was this year right, that it got updated? I mean i remember Bottas crying over the heatness or the weight of it.

Thing is, if his suit was not updated, he would have been in a WHOLE WORSE situation, i could imagine that he would been far less 'able' to use his agility to leave the car, and his whole body could have been like his hands are.
So glad 2020 didn't get ruined by the death of Grosjean. I hope he becomes an ambassador to improve safety in motorsport.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 02:52
Wouter wrote:

Man, look at his hands. i'm honestly pretty surprised that the gloves and socks aren't updated with the overall (and, possibly, helmet) fire safety protection.

It was this year right, that it got updated? I mean i remember Bottas crying over the heatness or the weight of it.

Thing is, if his suit was not updated, he would have been in a WHOLE WORSE situation, i could imagine that he would been far less 'able' to use his agility to leave the car, and his whole body could have been like his hands are.
So glad 2020 didn't get ruined by the death of Grosjean. I hope he becomes an ambassador to improve safety in motorsport.
I wonder how much can be done to improve the gloves. They will always be a weak point due to the need for them to allow dexterity for modern F1 steering wheels with all the controls. Plus they are not sealed onto the sleeves of the suit, so there is somewhere for fire to get in.

I'm more than anything impressed with the helmet. I was sure, when I saw the crash unfolding, that he would have facial burns.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Manoah2u

I would really like to see a classic yellow or even classic blue Ferrari to be honest! :mrgreen:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

FW17

Yellow would be nice.

It is getting confusing with the many offices/workshops this team has

LHamilton

Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad for Ferrari to buy HAAS (or naming rights) and rename it Maserati or something of that sort. With so many Ferrari academy drivers looking promising, the Ferrari main team might become a bit crowded. Leclerc I don't think will be moving, and Schumacher might get that second spot. The question is, when does he make the move? And with Illot and Shwartzman in the background (and maybe more to follow suit), maybe a second team with more influence and control in it isn't that bad. Similar to that of RB and AT. It could be a win/win situation in these times of uncertainty, with the Mazepin story and all.

The downside might be that Gene Haas, if he elects to remain, loses his name on the car and thus an obvious association with the HAAS brand.

Big Tea

adrianjordan wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 11:51
Manoah2u wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I wonder how much can be done to improve the gloves. They will always be a weak point due to the need for them to allow dexterity for modern F1 steering wheels with all the controls. Plus they are not sealed onto the sleeves of the suit, so there is somewhere for fire to get in.

I'm more than anything impressed with the helmet. I was sure, when I saw the crash unfolding, that he would have facial burns.
(I believe) it is not so much the glove that is the trouble but the need to take it on or off. there has to be a weak point where it meets the cuff of the suit. Another factor of burning through the glove is that he had hand contact with hot materials when climbing out so hands would have direct conduction burns as well as flame burns. This could be from the halo, which has to be metal, the barrier which again ahs to be metal and probably the wheel and release mechanism which he has to touch to operate. All in all I think the equipment did a wonderful job, except the deformation of the barrier without shielding.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

The glove has to be thin enough to allow dexterity and flexibility. So it really only can protect against radiant heating with conductive heating happening quickly. The rest of the suit has more layers and so can give more insulation from conductive heating.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

LHamilton wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 17:34
Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad for Ferrari to buy HAAS (or naming rights) and rename it Maserati or something of that sort. With so many Ferrari academy drivers looking promising, the Ferrari main team might become a bit crowded. Leclerc I don't think will be moving, and Schumacher might get that second spot. The question is, when does he make the move? And with Illot and Shwartzman in the background (and maybe more to follow suit), maybe a second team with more influence and control in it isn't that bad. Similar to that of RB and AT. It could be a win/win situation in these times of uncertainty, with the Mazepin story and all.

The downside might be that Gene Haas, if he elects to remain, loses his name on the car and thus an obvious association with the HAAS brand.
Don't forget, FCA already has Alfa Romeo as a second brand in F1. They might (Fiat that is) spend more money on Alfa then they do on Ferrari (with the PMI marketing deal). When HAAS entered F1 it looked like they were going to be the Ferrari America team, with HAAS also sponsoring Ferrari and of course they placed Esteban there as "their guy". Somehow this didn't work out and looked like they grew apart. Fiat sponsored Sauber instead and put a driver there.

Now it looks like Ferrari made a new deal with HAAS. A seat and in return help to work on their problems (which of course Ferrari themselves are also partly to blame for) as in their rear instability and engine.

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
Wouter wrote:

It looks like Grosjeans hands were burned on the outside, not the palms. I can imagine you most of all make fists when in a stressful situation. The outside could be protected more, as we see on motorcycle gloves (but then with isolation instead of pieces of carbon). Although my gloves are quite thick on the outside, I have no problem with all the switchgear, handles and stuff.

But, not to be very morbid, survival is the most important thing, the suit can always have more protection than small things like fingers. you don't need hands or fingers to survive...

Big Tea

Jolle wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 23:26
adrianjordan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

It looks like Grosjeans hands were burned on the outside, not the palms. I can imagine you most of all make fists when in a stressful situation. The outside could be protected more, as we see on motorcycle gloves (but then with isolation instead of pieces of carbon). Although my gloves are quite thick on the outside, I have no problem with all the switchgear, handles and stuff.

But, not to be very morbid, survival is the most important thing, the suit can always have more protection than small things like fingers. you don't need hands or fingers to survive...
I did not realise there was information on his burns, so that sort of messes up part of my theory about holding hot items. However, using your comparison of motorcycle glove, the other part could hold. Wet hands come from the gap between the jacket and glove, and the glove is easy to displace.

As I said above I am still mighty impressed with just how good the protection was.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Scorpaguy

Jolle wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 23:12
LHamilton wrote:

Don't forget, FCA already has Alfa Romeo as a second brand in F1. They might (Fiat that is) spend more money on Alfa then they do on Ferrari (with the PMI marketing deal). When HAAS entered F1 it looked like they were going to be the Ferrari America team, with HAAS also sponsoring Ferrari and of course they placed Esteban there as "their guy". Somehow this didn't work out and looked like they grew apart. Fiat sponsored Sauber instead and put a driver there.

Now it looks like Ferrari made a new deal with HAAS. A seat and in return help to work on their problems (which of course Ferrari themselves are also partly to blame for) as in their rear instability and engine.
It seems that an "also ran" F1 team does not deliver the buzz Carl was hoping for re HaasCNC. I believe the Russian ruble play was to be the first step in his selling the entire outfit. Now with the Maz dollars being toxic, I suppose Carl hopes to ride out the storm while Nikita Mazepin finds a suitable title partner/sponsor. While it could be a manufacturer, I doubt Maserati (or anything within the FCA group).

F1 is at a turning point...the entire world is covid crap...what happens next is anyone's guess and the Haas saga promises to be at least of some intrigue during the offseason. I really do not foresee any American manufacturers having any interest. With electric being all the craze in Europe...same thing. Maybe some speed shop outfit with a big name ( and a taste for borscht) steps up (ala a Cosworth-type engine outfit or a ProDrive-type organization...not these 2 in particular, just the "type").

If the woke world cannot abide the Maz-grab scandal, Haas may be in serious jeopardy.

Jolle

Scorpaguy wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 00:12
Jolle wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 23:12
LHamilton wrote:

It seems that an "also ran" F1 team does not deliver the buzz Carl was hoping for re HaasCNC. I believe the Russian ruble play was to be the first step in his selling the entire outfit. Now with the Maz dollars being toxic, I suppose Carl hopes to ride out the storm while Nikita Mazepin finds a suitable title partner/sponsor. While it could be a manufacturer, I doubt Maserati (or anything within the FCA group).

F1 is at a turning point...the entire world is covid crap...what happens next is anyone's guess and the Haas saga promises to be at least of some intrigue during the offseason. I really do not foresee any American manufacturers having any interest. With electric being all the craze in Europe...same thing. Maybe some speed shop outfit with a big name ( and a taste for borscht) steps up (ala a Cosworth-type engine outfit or a ProDrive-type organization...not these 2 in particular, just the "type").

If the woke world cannot abide the Maz-grab scandal, Haas may be in serious jeopardy.
The recent big investments, all during Covid suggest F1 is a healthy place to invest (Williams, McLaren and Mercedes) so I wouldn’t worry to much of HAAS disappearing, although it might not be with Gene Haas.
Another big manufacturer stepping in (BMW, VW, Toyota, Ford or Toyota) might be healthy, but that would not be with HAAS, as their whole business model is centred around Ferrari. Williams or one of the RedBull teams would make more sense. Of course the return of Cosworth, Judd or Hart would be trough one of these brands, they don’t work for nothing (same as during the NA years Renault, Mercedes, Ford and Yamaha outsourced the development and manufacturing of their units at some point in time)

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 23:51
Jolle wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 23:26
adrianjordan wrote:

I did not realise there was information on his burns, so that sort of messes up part of my theory about holding hot items. However, using your comparison of motorcycle glove, the other part could hold. Wet hands come from the gap between the jacket and glove, and the glove is easy to displace.

As I said above I am still mighty impressed with just how good the protection was.
His burns were quite visible on the pics he shared, mostly his knuckles (where the fabric tightens against your skin if you make a fist).

Having a bespoke suit, and not a mix and match like motorcycle all weather gear (and don’t have to pay at every pitstop), it would be quite easy to have a better connection between glove and suit. A simple zipper with a flap would do.