Primary gear reduction.

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Jolle

Re: Primary gear reduction.

Bandit1216 wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 15:34
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FCCF10A

Dunno what 1100 oilhead you have, but this has (and 90% (if not all) of the transverse mounted engined bike have), a gear on the crankshaft to primary shaft. Not at all quick exchange.

The clutch basket is on the primary shaft. This even has a higher rpm then the crankshaft if my memory serves me right. To decrease the torque I guess.

(I've big bored (1216cc) a gsxr engine 10 years ago)
There is just one BMW 1100 oil head: the R1100 boxer (in different forms like the S, RS, R and RT). It’s very different then any Japanese bike. Dry clutch on the crank.
Last edited by Jolle on 09 Nov 2020, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

Bandit1216

Jolle wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 15:52
Bandit1216 wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 15:34
https://scontent-hel3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5FCCF10A

Dunno what 1100 oilhead you have, but this has (and 90% (if not all) of the transverse mounted engined bike have), a gear on the crankshaft to primary shaft. Not at all quick exchange.

The clutch basket is on the primary shaft. This even has a higher rpm then the crankshaft if my memory serves me right. To decrease the torque I guess.

(I've big bored (1216cc) a gsxr engine 10 years ago)
There is just one 1100 oil head: the R1100 boxer (in different forms like the S, RS, R and RT). It’s very different then any Japanese bike. Dry clutch on the crank.
Ahhh, sorry. The term 1100 Oil-head made me go right in my Suzuki tunnel.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

saviour stivala

coaster wrote:
08 Nov 2020, 02:53
Im aware of a spiral bevel gear after the clutch and then onto the sequential gearbox.
After the bevel and before the gearbox i recall use of changeable reduction by some teams in the 1990's.
‘Gear reduction (bevel) after the clutch but before the gearbox used in formula 1. The transversal gearbox layouts that were used in formula 1 placed the bevel drive ‘before’ the gearbox gear cluster. By that time of the high revving engine in use formula one transmissions had already settled on a three-stage speed reduction between engine and rear wheels (rear wheels maximum rpm approx 2800rpm). The three stage speed reduction used when the transversal gearbox was in used was:- 1st stage by bevel gear pair reduction. 2nd stage the gear-cluster. 3rd stage final-drive gear pair. The transversal gearbox layout trend was started by the FERRARI 312T model of 1975. The ‘T’ stood for transversal.

saviour stivala

Gear reduction (bevel) after the gearbox but before the differential. Since 1999 all F1 gearboxes had been mid-positioned longitudinal. This gearbox position adopted had moved the (bevel) gear reduction from 1st step reduction out of the 3-step reduction adopted of the transversal gearbox layout to 2nd step reduction between gearbox and differential. A typical second step reduction gear ratio set used by one particular car using an 18000rpm engine and 3-step reduction to the rear wheels rotating at approximate 2800rpm was the use of a set of spiral bevel gears giving a speed reduction of 0.61 with the 3rd stage reduction (differential gear set - final drive straight-cut gear pair) having a reduction of 0.306. this reductions on this particular car gave an overall reduction of 0.186, this car had 3 alterative 2nd gear pairs reduction sets that could be used, (14/50, 14/52, and 15/49).

coaster

Thank you Sav, I suspected this was the case as some of those differential casings are very tightly packaged with little scope for an architectural change such as gear pitch diameter. I had noticed a cassette style trap door for the bevel gear on few benneton boxes many years ago.