Server switch

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

Server switch

All,

F1Technical is now hosted on a new server, as several upgrades were impossible without downtime.

web3 is dead. Long live web4.

If there are any issues or positive feedback ( :mrgreen: ), please post them here.

Thanks,
Steven

lio007

Re: Server switch

Hello Steven,
thank you.
On my side I have some troubles, when I click in the notification-bell at the top. Previously it was just a PopUp, now, after a few seconds it jumps to the control panel.

And when I click on the 3 horizontal bars (menu), nothing happens.

Android with Chrome.

Edit: oh, sorry. Nevermind, now it works fine for me!

hollus

All appears good right now on Safari on an iphone. Superficial check, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

Steven
Owner

There may have been intermittent problems, as we use two domains, and each one obviously has their own DNS entries, so the previous ones won't necessarily expire at the same time.

For me, all looks fine now.

The homepage however is a whole lot slower than before. I'll check that out tomorrow. Seems like my benchmarks missed something :(

Steven
Owner

Homepage issue fixed. Some images of recent news articles hadn't been copied yet.
I'll now clean up the 44000 error mails I have received for that mistake :mrgreen:

Zynerji

Steven wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 15:34
Homepage issue fixed. Some images of recent news articles hadn't been copied yet.
I'll now clean up the 44000 error mails I have received for that mistake :mrgreen:
Thank you for your continued effort to provide the best Formula 1 technical platform on the internet!

Juzh

Have you considered server provider switch? Last few races it was almost impossible to post a comment during qualifying and race, so mostly I didn't even bother doing it. It seems user count is getting a bit much for current hardware, no? :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan

I agree with Juzh. I was getting gateway errors during the height of the post-race furore.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Steven
Owner

Juzh wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 18:58
Have you considered server provider switch? Last few races it was almost impossible to post a comment during qualifying and race, so mostly I didn't even bother doing it. It seems user count is getting a bit much for current hardware, no? :mrgreen:
Known issue, nothing do to with the hardware.
I have already repeatedly apologised for the inconvenience over the last few races.

I'll get it sorted as soon as I can.

Marty_Y

Steven wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 22:53
Juzh wrote:
I have already repeatedly apologised for the inconvenience over the last few races.

Have you considered updating this forum, it feels very dated compared to other forums, it lacks many features that most other forums have.

This isn't a criticism, I'm just wondering if it is because of a lack of finances or because you haven't got the will to do it?

Steven
Owner

Marty_Y wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 23:04
Steven wrote:
Juzh wrote:

Have you considered updating this forum, it feels very dated compared to other forums, it lacks many features that most other forums have.

This isn't a criticism, I'm just wondering if it is because of a lack of finances or because you haven't got the will to do it?
It's true that phpbb isn't perhaps the most feature rich, but it's been a loyal companion, and I have bad experiences with trials of alternatives.

Any suggestions / experiences? What features do you miss in particular?

Zynerji

Higher res avatars!

Marty_Y

Steven wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 23:16
Marty_Y wrote:
14 Dec 2021, 23:04
Steven wrote:

It's true that phpbb isn't perhaps the most feature rich, but it's been a loyal companion, and I have bad experiences with trials of alternatives.

Any suggestions / experiences? What features do you miss in particular?
Ok thanks for replying, ultimately if you are happy with it that's all that matters. I don't want to sound like I'm moaning because the site is free and I'm grateful that you provide it for everyone to enjoy.

I won't list loads of stuff, but something I miss is when you share a link to a article just the URL is displayed with no embedded preview of what the article is about is shown.

Maybe I'm using the site incorrectly or haven't worked out how to do it yet but when you are typing a reply to a subject and haven't posted it yet then look at another topic the text isn't remembered so you have to start from scratch.

The navigation feels really time consuming, you have to click on the red icon to go the post you have read up to, which means you often have to go through all the sub topic menus, if you click on the topic title it takes you to the last post not to the last unread post.

I'm probably not explaining myself very well, and as I said I don't want to sound ungrateful but was just wondering if there is anyway to update things a bit.

Thanks for providing this site, it's much appreciated.