General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

Welcome Sergio Perez to the Honda Family.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Morteza

Found this on Twitter. Thought you guys might like it
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

Morteza wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 16:36
Found this on Twitter. Thought you guys might like it
https://twitter.com/1990sF1/status/1340220616662806530

Yes, thank you @Morteza!
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

From Motorsport about Yuki:

His Formula 2 team principal, Trevor Carlin, expects Tsunoda to have a good debut season.

"Time will tell where he ends up in the pecking order, but I think he has a very bright future ahead of him," said Carlin. “As long as he doesn't get overwhelmed by the F1 environment, I see no reason why he couldn't do the same as Lando Norris. And maybe he has something of Max Verstappen in him. He learns and understands the car very quickly and of course he has talent, so it is important to adapt that to each championship and continue with that. If he picks up F1 as quickly as F2, he'll put Pierre on fire as soon as they return to Europe. ”

“He lacks some experience compared to Lando, but the speed and understanding of how to drive a racing car is there,” said Carlin. “He is absolutely ready. He's going to a lot of new tracks now, but he didn't seem to have any problems finding speed - like on Sochi, where he was fast. I am hopeful. I would expect some incidents in the early races, but once that is over I think he can surprise a lot of people. ”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

This article is from 20 November 2020, but nice to read.
... yuki-tsunoda-on-his-journey-to-become-japans-next-formula-1-driver.

https://www.fiaformula2.com/Latest/5PVF ... a-1-driver
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Because Jenson Button has something special with Japan and Honda, I will put this here.

Many congratulations!!

The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

So the news on Honda's olan for 2022... If one reads between the lines of Dietrich Matechitz....
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wouter

Interview with Yamamoto. Part 1 and 2.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/659258?all

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/659296?all

A few quotes:

Yamamoto: "Despite the announcement [that Honda will stop], the cooperation with both racing stables continued to go well. In fact, since the announcement of our departure, the cooperation has actually only gotten stronger."

"We are not making any major changes to our engine system. It seems that some other suppliers are considering that, but our base system will be similar to the one we used in 2020."

"This year Max Verstappen took pole and won the race. That result meant a lot to us."

"We have to thoroughly analyze 2020 and prepare for next year's winter test. 2021 will be Honda's last year in Formula 1. We have to prepare for a championship battle and that is our ultimate goal"

"The attitude remains the same for Honda: we still want to accommodate Red Bull and AlphaTauri as well as possible in the transition to a new supplier, as far as we can help."

"The deadline for submitting the engine supplier set by the FIA ​​is January 1 [2021], so an agreement should be reached by the end of the year, however, there may be some delay due to the lack of clarity about the regulations "
Last edited by Wouter on 30 Dec 2020, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

So is here anything stopping Honda leaving, and passing on the old, no longer Honda, but what ever the company wil be called to Red Bull and beginning or continuing work on one they have in design stages?

As it would not be a current F1 engine and Honda is not in F1 (at that time) they are free to test as much as they like.

Could they then sell or give this engine to the Red Bull company just in time for the introduction of the new engine spec to F1?

Sort of hit the ground running, the opposite of what they did this time?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lio007

Wouter wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 17:45
"We are not making any major changes to our engine system. It seems that some other suppliers are considering that, but our base system will be similar to the one we used in 2020."
This is a big surprise for me. So the increase of 40HP may be really just a rumour!?

But on the other hand: what is the "base system"? A V6 with a split turbo layout, and an MGU-H and an MGU-K :D #-o

rogazilla

lio007 wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 20:47
Wouter wrote:
This is a big surprise for me. So the increase of 40HP may be really just a rumour!?

But on the other hand: what is the "base system"? A V6 with a split turbo layout, and an MGU-H and an MGU-K :D #-o
I believe he is talking about the general PU lay out. Ferrari and/or Renault going to split Turbo like Merc and Honda. The layout is probably the base system spoken here. My opinion in reading this.

ispano6

lio007 wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 20:47
Wouter wrote:

The 40HP increase should be considered a rumor as there is no concrete data saying so. It's "word of the paddock" from Jack Plooij and the understanding is that the Honda PU was down 30HP to the Mercedes in 2020.

With regard to the next Honda PU here's what Tanabe said at Abu Dhabi :
2021年のF1パワーユニットの開発について質問された田辺豊治は「我々は過去の自分たちの弱点について多くのことを学びました。エンジン、ICEだけでなく、ERSを含めたすべてのエリアを改善し、来年シーズンはPUとして強力なパッケージとして作りたいと考えています」と最終戦 F1アブダビGPの記者会見で語った。

「内燃エンジンに関してはすべてが新しいわけではありませんが、ほとんど新しいものです。ハイブリッドシステムに関しても、昨年からアップデートされたものもあれば、新しいパーツもあります」

「アップデートと新しいパーツが混在していると言えますが、エンジンは完全に新しいわけではありません。ただし、ほとんどのパーツは新しいです」

"We have, looking back on our past weaknesses, learned much about it. As for the engine, with not just the ICE but also including an improvement with the ERS, we think the PU for next season will make a powerful package.

The ICE won't necessarily be entirely all-new, but it is pretty much new. The hybrid system, with this past year's updates considered, will also have brand new parts.

While I can say there is a mix of updated and brand new parts, it's not like the engine is completely new. However, much of the parts are new".

https://f1-gate.com/honda/f1_60235.html

Obviously the parts that are "new" I surmise are new designs or materials with efficiencies and durability improvements. Regarding performance upgrades we'll likely not know what improvements are being made but there is a belief that Honda is utilizing a "clever" interpretation of the regulations with off-throttle fuel burning to prolong electrical energy generation which is being called "a secret weapon". This system introduced last year apparently had no issues with regard to regulation scrutiny so there likely may be improvements in this area. It's been discussed here before but whether or not this actually provides an advantage remains to be seen. It's mentioned in this other article below.

https://f1-gate.com/honda/f1_60252.html