[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

It was the best of the rest. I agree the drivers lacked... In the right hands it could have challenged RBR. I don't think the driver duo ever got the max out of the car.

We'll see if Stroll continues to improve. After all, Norris scored just have half the points Sainz did in 2019. So there is hope for him.

I think McLaren driver tandem will be an asset again for them in 2021.

I think Vettel can match Perez at AM. I expect they're looking for more from him than that though.

@Alpine we'll see if Ocon can pull a Norris and double his point for 2021. Certain, Alonso will be excellent.

Darth-Piekus

In today's F1 the driver doesn't make so huge of a difference. 80% it's about the car. If RP was so much better then they would have finished 3rd but that is not the case. Their car was picking races where it was good while sucked at other races. Mclaren was good in every single race. The package was better overall and I don't see why we have to give excuses why RP lost. They lost fair and square in more than half the races and more than half the qualifyings. In fact they are very lucky they weren't disqualified with that stunt they pulled. Let's not forget that important fact.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 18:51
In today's F1 the driver doesn't make so huge of a difference. 80% it's about the car. If RP was so much better then they would have finished 3rd but that is not the case. Their car was picking races where it was good while sucked at other races. Mclaren was good in every single race. The package was better overall and I don't see why we have to give excuses why RP lost. They lost fair and square in more than half the races and more than half the qualifyings. In fact they are very lucky they weren't disqualified with that stunt they pulled. Let's not forget that important fact.
Nobody's denying they won fair an square.

You didn't notice how ordinary the RBR looks in Albon's hands ? You put 2 Albons in the 2020 RBR and its a 5 team race for 2nd in the constructors.

Hell, you swap Stroll and Max before 2020 and RP finishes 2nd. EASY!

Darth-Piekus

RBR is a different matter. The car was in another league. Even with two Albons RBR would have finished in front.

I'm not saying people are denying the success but the way they are saying it using If's and who lost more sounds like they are underestimating the success. All I am saying is that if RP was that much faster as RBR was they could have won easily even with two Strolls.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 22:09
RBR is a different matter. The car was in another league. Even with two Albons RBR would have finished in front.

I'm not saying people are denying the success but the way they are saying it using If's and who lost more sounds like they are underestimating the success. All I am saying is that if RP was that much faster as RBR was they could have won easily even with two Strolls.
Albon finished the season tied for points with Sainz. Basically same league as McLaren (and by extension Renault and RP) with Albon driving. Behind Riccardo.

Darth-Piekus

Maybe but still that car was so far ahead we can't compare and that doesn't change the fact that if RP was so much faster Mclaren would still not stand a chance if the car was nowhere near. But those are just If Scenarios. Statistics speak for themselves. We beat them fair and square in so many races. Not just one lap but a whole race.

The point is Mclaren was better overall as a car. If RP was 8/10, Mclaren was 7,5/10 but the difference here is that Mclaren was 7.0 to 7.5/10 in every single race. RP was 8/10 in one race and 5/10 in another, then 2/10 in another etc etc. I'm talking about car consistency. That is how a measurement of a fast car is shown. Across the whole year in every circuit in races where points count. Driver's alone aren't the deciding factor.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 01:10
Maybe but still that car was so far ahead we can't compare and that doesn't change the fact that if RP was so much faster Mclaren would still not stand a chance if the car was nowhere near. But those are just If Scenarios. Statistics speak for themselves. We beat them fair and square in so many races. Not just one lap but a whole race.

The point is Mclaren was better overall as a car. If RP was 8/10, Mclaren was 7,5/10 but the difference here is that Mclaren was 7.0 to 7.5/10 in every single race. RP was 8/10 in one race and 5/10 in another, then 2/10 in another etc etc. I'm talking about car consistency. That is how a measurement of a fast car is shown. Across the whole year in every circuit in races where points count. Driver's alone aren't the deciding factor.
I could give you quotes from Zak, Seidl, Norris and Sainz that RP was faster but you're not gonna believe that either so...

whatever.

f1rules

With all the comments coming from people in the paddock etc. i have no doubt the rpw10 was the faster overall car. They just didnt have the drivers, the operation lacked greatly and lack of experience to unlock the cars potential. Had McLaren used the rpw10 with its drivers and very good operation/strategic decisions by Randy and his team, McLaren would have closed 3rd a lot earlier im sure, and being closer to rb. So rpw10 was let down by the team and drivers. Raw pace potential, in my opinion the rpw10 maybe a 8.0 and the mclaren a 7.0-7.5

maxxer

Seems to me they got everything out of the Renault package they could, RP had a merc engine in the back they had top speed on straights but that was it i guess

f1rules

just saw this now on amus. Translated: The rpw10 was the faster of the midfield cars. Only let down by the team and the drivers. Further Mclaren made less strategic errors of all midfielders, Racing point the most

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... latz-drei/

And last word, Andy Green

"At the end of the season 4 teams will look back and regret loosing 3rd through some stupid mistake. If all the midfielders extracted the maximum from their package, we would easily have been 3rd"
"Am Ende der Saison werden vier Teams zurückblicken und sich ärgern, dass sie den dritten Platz mit einem blöden Fehler weggeworfen haben. Hätten alle immer das Maximum aus ihrem Paket rausgeholt, dann wären wir locker Dritter geworden."

"Der Racing Point RP20 war im Schnitt das schnellste Auto. Das zeigt sich am durchschnittlichen Rückstand auf die Pole Position. Der beträgt bei Racing Point 0,999 Sekunden, bei Renault 1,129 Sekunden, bei Ferrari 1,141 Sekunden, bei McLaren 1,220 Sekunden und bei Alpha Tauri 1,351 Sekunden. Trotzdem wurde Racing Point nicht Dritter. Team und Fahrer haben zu wenig aus ihrer Mercedes-Kopie gemacht."

"Strategisch machte McLaren die wenigsten und Racing Point die meisten Fehler. "

the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 13:27
And last word, Andy Green

"At the end of the season 4 teams will look back and regret loosing 3rd through some stupid mistake. If all the midfielders extracted the maximum from their package we would easily have been 3rd"
:lol: Their package? What a joker

If’s, but’s & and what could have been really don’t interest me. All he is really saying is we were given a great car and we still couldn’t get it right

f1rules

he just confirms they had the 3rd best car

the EDGE

f1rules wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 15:03
he just confirms they had the 3rd best car
Did you read the full article? because it doesn't sound like that to me...
There was no clear favourite. Sometimes one had the best package, sometimes the other. McLaren in Spielberg and Bahrain, Racing Point in Budapest, Barcelona and Sakhir, Renault in Spa and at the Nürburgring, Ferrari in Turkey and Alpha Tauri in Imola.
McLaren won this race in the race because they were well positioned in all disciplines and had no real weaknesses. Alpha Tauri was also relatively balanced, but on a lower level overall. Racing Point, Renault and Ferrari failed because of their strong fluctuations
On one lap on Saturday and over the distance on Sunday. McLaren was ahead in both disciplines. The total of all starting positions is 281, the total of all race results is 308. In comparison to Racing Point: 300 in qualifying, 317 in the race
Like I've always said, all of the midfield had their day on top & their days to forget. overall RP was fastest but the car had inherent weaknesses too, far more than the Mcl 35 did. It has been the closest race in F1 since the naughties & I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next thrilling instalment. who needs 1st & 2nd when the action was this good

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... latz-drei/

Lucky

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!