2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Team: Image Red Bull Racing
Base: Image Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Team principal: Christian Horner
Technical director(s): Pierre Waché, Adrian Newey (Chief Technical Officer)

Race drivers:
33 Image Max Verstappen
11 Image Sergio Pérez

Chassis: RB16B
Engine: Honda V6 Turbo

This thread is to discuss the 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

godlameroso

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

How much pace can they claw back from a revised aero kit and other tweaks, how much can Honda improve. Will 2021 be what 2020 should have been?
Saishū kōnā

lio007

godlameroso wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 04:40
How much pace can they claw back from a revised aero kit and other tweaks, how much can Honda improve. Will 2021 be what 2020 should have been?
I think a lot of us hope so!

Sieper

Oh certainly. Between hope and fear. As always in this time of year.

godlameroso

I think the big turn around came once RB started getting on top of the cape concept. It was a big departure from their 2019 nose package. It ended up being the right path to take, so continuing to evolve the concept and getting more out of it, is entirely possible.
Saishū kōnā

lio007

godlameroso wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 16:50
I think the big turn around came once RB started getting on top of the cape concept. It was a big departure from their 2019 nose package. It ended up being the right path to take, so continuing to evolve the concept and getting more out of it, is entirely possible.
I still don't get it why it was so difficult for them to get on top of the cape concept.

LM10

lio007 wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 17:11
godlameroso wrote:
I still don't get it why it was so difficult for them to get on top of the cape concept.
I think the RB is an overall complicated car and it’s difficult to get on top of every major change. The aero is very sophisticated in it’s entirety and makes it extremely hard to get everything sorted, but once they’re able to extract the full potential of the car, it’s fast. Just sounds like Newey.

godlameroso

lio007 wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 17:11
godlameroso wrote:
Because design is built on assumptions, and reality has more variables than your mind can fathom. Once those variables come into play they show the ignorance of your assumptions. The fact they were able to not just solve the issue but gain from it means it was not in vain. It led them to further understand their package as a whole, where they can improve it.

The concept is staying the same for next year, so it's a matter of optimizing what they have.
Saishū kōnā

Kingshark

This team is a sinking ship.

Honda is leaving, so RB will have to return from works team to customer team. This means RB will have to build the 2022 chassis around the engine instead of optimizing the package as a whole (like Mercedes). On top of that, Renault engines are less powerful, less reliable, and more fuel thirsty than Mercedes engines.

The last time Red Bull won the championship, the engines were frozen and F1 was entirely dependent on chassis. As long as engine development plays a role, Red Bull will never challenge for anything more than 2-3 race wins per season.

Red Bull is finished. Won't be surprised to see them pull out of the sport soon.

lio007

Kingshark wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 09:16

Honda is leaving, so RB will have to return from works team to customer team. This means RB will have to build the 2022 chassis around the engine instead of optimizing the package as a whole (like Mercedes). On top of that, Renault engines are less powerful, less reliable, and more fuel thirsty than Mercedes engines.

The last time Red Bull won the championship, the engines were frozen and F1 was entirely dependent on chassis. As long as engine development plays a role, Red Bull will never challenge for anything more than 2-3 race wins per season.

Red Bull is finished. Won't be surprised to see them pull out of the sport soon.
Did you miss that RB is in talks with Honda about using the Honda-IP, to run the PU themselves? And there are also talks about an engine freeze!

RedNEO

Kingshark wrote:

Unlikely. They will at worst just ride it out until the official engine freeze in 2023 with Honda if they can’t get it brought forward sooner. Engines are predicted to get a lot more simpler without mgu-h’s and what have you for 2025 so they may even build there own as they’ve said.

Big Tea

Kingshark wrote:

Yeh, how could Red Bull possibly win championships without Honda? :mrgreen: Unthinkable
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Kingshark

Is there anything official about the engine freeze or is it only rumours?

the EDGE

Kingshark wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 18:19
If I am correct...?

There is due to be an engine freeze at the end of 2022, so new engine allowed for this year & again next year

RB wants to freeze after this year so no new engine for 22

Ferrari are in agreement however say there must be a form of power equalisation, probably in the form of less fuel for faster teams

Mercedes are in agreement but say there must be no form of handicap whatsoever

Renault are not in agreement and want the freeze to remain until the end of 2022

I suspect there will be no change to the current plan but who knows... F1 has been a funny old business recently

Wouter

the EDGE wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 18:27
Kingshark wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 18:19
If I am correct...?

There is due to be an engine freeze at the end of 2022, so new engine allowed for this year & again next year

RB wants to freeze after this year so no new engine for 22

Ferrari are in agreement however say there must be a form of power equalisation, probably in the form of less fuel for faster teams

Mercedes are in agreement but say there must be no form of handicap whatsoever

Renault are not in agreement and want the freeze to remain until the end of 2022

I suspect there will be no change to the current plan but who knows... F1 has been a funny old business recently
I don't think this is quite right.
RB wants an engine freeze from the start of the 2022 season,
so that everyone can improve the engine considerably during the winter break.
Renault only wants this after the end of the 2022 season.
This is what I read last.
The Power of Dreams!