[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gerhardsa

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Spending your Dubai holiday in a hotel room. Must be so much fun!

f1rules

Well yes i did :-). The article starts by, more or less stating that RP had the 3 fastets car, and everything from there is an analysis of, divided into key areas, why mcl got 3 and why rp and others did not.
No matter, it was a great fight and im sure will be even harder next year with ferrari in the mix

"Das Auto
Der Racing Point RP20 war im Schnitt das schnellste Auto. Das zeigt sich am durchschnittlichen Rückstand auf die Pole Position. Der beträgt bei Racing Point 0,999 Sekunden, bei Renault 1,129 Sekunden, bei Ferrari 1,141 Sekunden, bei McLaren 1,220 Sekunden und bei Alpha Tauri 1,351 Sekunden. Trotzdem wurde Racing Point nicht Dritter. Team und Fahrer haben zu wenig aus ihrer Mercedes-Kopie gemacht."

the EDGE wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 15:24
f1rules wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 15:03
he just confirms they had the 3rd best car
Did you read the full article? because it doesn't sound like that to me...
There was no clear favourite. Sometimes one had the best package, sometimes the other. McLaren in Spielberg and Bahrain, Racing Point in Budapest, Barcelona and Sakhir, Renault in Spa and at the Nürburgring, Ferrari in Turkey and Alpha Tauri in Imola.
McLaren won this race in the race because they were well positioned in all disciplines and had no real weaknesses. Alpha Tauri was also relatively balanced, but on a lower level overall. Racing Point, Renault and Ferrari failed because of their strong fluctuations
On one lap on Saturday and over the distance on Sunday. McLaren was ahead in both disciplines. The total of all starting positions is 281, the total of all race results is 308. In comparison to Racing Point: 300 in qualifying, 317 in the race
Like I've always said, all of the midfield had their day on top & their days to forget. overall RP was fastest but the car had inherent weaknesses too, far more than the Mcl 35 did. It has been the closest race in F1 since the naughties & I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next thrilling instalment. who needs 1st & 2nd when the action was this good

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... latz-drei/

Darth-Piekus

Nobody disagrees that in terms of ultimate pace RP was slightly faster.Ultimate pace however doesn't win races. Reliability, Drivability and being good everywhere gives you that 3rd place. Mclaren was better overall as a car as it had way fewer weaknesses than RP and excelled in every GP than RP who was instead picky regarding where to be good and where not to be good.

Macklaren

YIKES!! Hope this doesn't impact his season prep too much. A slightly delayed start to the season (as has been rumored) may be good

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:17
Nobody disagrees that in terms of ultimate pace RP was slightly faster.Ultimate pace however doesn't win races. Reliability, Drivability and being good everywhere gives you that 3rd place. Mclaren was better overall as a car as it had way fewer weaknesses than RP and excelled in every GP than RP who was instead picky regarding where to be good and where not to be good.
No McLaren was better overall as a team. That is what the constructotors race is. The Sainz Car finished behind both Perez and Riccardo. That would be 6th. With Perez running in 2 fewer races than Sainz.

Darth-Piekus

Then I would like to agree to disagree and end the debate here.

Carlen

Hello everyone. The new gearbox will be our production and will we use Petronas fuel and lubricants?

the EDGE

Carlen wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 21:25
Hello everyone. The new gearbox will be our production and will we use Petronas fuel and lubricants?
They will definitely use their own gearbox. There is no reason not to, it’s is as reliable and as advanced as any on the grid. TBH, it’s not really a performance changer between teams in term of power or drivability.

There are gains to be made on weight reduction and most importantly on the chassis/suspension integration & aero efficiency around the rear of the car. Designing your own gives you the advantage of control over what you are doing in this area

Here’s what they have to say about next years...
JK: There’s a real blank sheet of paper approach to the ’22 car – the chassis regulations are fundamentally different, and the wheels and tyres are changing too. We’ve been working on it for some time now. Every team was expecting to race these cars in 2021, so I think everyone had got to a pretty advanced stage before the aero development freeze kicked in this year. That hasn’t stopped mechanical design or simulation work taking place though. Our gearbox design, for example, is very mature now.
As for the fuel, I assume they will use Petronas, but I don’t recall that being confirmed anywhere yet. Personally I think they’d be mad not to

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:17
Well their car was as reliable as ours, their car at least on a par with driveability.

As I already said to you 5 pages of posts back, the difference was the dirvers. Celebrate it instead of ignoring it, it is one reason we may finish ahead of RP next year too.
mwillems wrote:
04 Jan 2021, 03:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:
03 Jan 2021, 23:44
There are many things that you don't know about me. One of them is that I don't drink. What I say, I genuine believe. Everytime we were in front unless stars aligned we finished in front of them. Hell even times we were at the back we managed to pass them in the end. The diffeence between RP and our car is that our car was good in every single race. Their car was picking races.

I don't see why Mclaren's success should be downsized with excuses. We beat them in the races fair and square.
Nobody is downsizing anything, people just look at the reality and analyse it. We had a slower car but a better driver lineup.

RP threw away points, almost entirely via Stroll who underperformed (again). Obviously Perez wasn't affected by the same issues as he managed to finish fourth in the drivers standings, whereas stroll finished a huge 50 points behind him. It's not hard to see where the weak link is at RP, and long may it continue! Because no matter how fast the RP, until stroll gets it together, we have a chance to beat them again next year because one driver can not carry the team in a midfield battle.

"Drunk" was the projection of the general idea that you do not see straight, drunk on fanboyism for instance.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Ground Effect

Interesting comments by Pat Fry:

"The floor change, although it looks quite a small insignificant change, how it actually changes the aerodynamics at the back of the car is quite dramatic really," said Fry.

"It will be a who actually manages to cope with that the best really, to see how it actually upsets the order.

“I guess McLaren can change more than most because, obviously with a power unit change, that allows you to change a load of other bits of the car outside the normal homologation side of things."
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

adrianjordan

Darth-Piekus wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 01:10
Maybe but still that car was so far ahead we can't compare and that doesn't change the fact that if RP was so much faster Mclaren would still not stand a chance if the car was nowhere near. But those are just If Scenarios. Statistics speak for themselves. We beat them fair and square in so many races. Not just one lap but a whole race.

The point is Mclaren was better overall as a car. If RP was 8/10, Mclaren was 7,5/10 but the difference here is that Mclaren was 7.0 to 7.5/10 in every single race. RP was 8/10 in one race and 5/10 in another, then 2/10 in another etc etc. I'm talking about car consistency. That is how a measurement of a fast car is shown. Across the whole year in every circuit in races where points count. Driver's alone aren't the deciding factor.
Look at it this way. RP had the faster car and we STILL beat them.

How great are we as a team!!

To take your opinion on their copy cat approach, RP cheated and we STILL beat them.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Macklaren wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:46
YIKES!! Hope this doesn't impact his season prep too much. A slightly delayed start to the season (as has been rumored) may be good
Something tells me his hotel room has, or will very soon have, a fully equipped gym!! (and sin racing setup lol)
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Darth-Piekus

adrianjordan wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 12:45
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Maybe but still that car was so far ahead we can't compare and that doesn't change the fact that if RP was so much faster Mclaren would still not stand a chance if the car was nowhere near. But those are just If Scenarios. Statistics speak for themselves. We beat them fair and square in so many races. Not just one lap but a whole race.

The point is Mclaren was better overall as a car. If RP was 8/10, Mclaren was 7,5/10 but the difference here is that Mclaren was 7.0 to 7.5/10 in every single race. RP was 8/10 in one race and 5/10 in another, then 2/10 in another etc etc. I'm talking about car consistency. That is how a measurement of a fast car is shown. Across the whole year in every circuit in races where points count. Driver's alone aren't the deciding factor.

To take your opinion on their copy cat approach, RP cheated and we STILL beat them.
I do agree by that statement.

ispano6

adrianjordan wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Stroll was taken out once by Leclerc, once by Kvyat, a blown tire at Mugello, while Perez had two DNFs due to Mercedes PU failures. RP was rather unlucky or screwed over and should probably have finished above Mclaren.

diffuser

ispano6 wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 17:49
adrianjordan wrote:
Darth-Piekus wrote:

Stroll was taken out once by Leclerc, once by Kvyat, a blown tire at Mugello, while Perez had two DNFs due to Mercedes PU failures. RP was rather unlucky or screwed over and should probably have finished above Mclaren.
Yep and they didn't do themselves any favours either. Perez got Covid cause he flew back to Mexico. He probably flew back to solidify funding for his 2021 drive, among other things.