2021 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Alpine F1 Team

RedNEO wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 21:55
diffuser wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:56
RedNEO wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 16:55
Via Viryfan on autosport boards

Rear suspension does take up two tokens so that does check out. However putting in a new engine doesn’t necessarily take up any tokens unless it’s switching suppliers/new architecture so it’s still unknown if Renault would need tokens like the Spanish article seems to think they won’t. Maybe it will only have elements of the new engine that can be changed without tokens.
Asked where the focus for the team's new challenger would be, he said: "Other than nose, chassis, engine and gearbox, we're looking at reviewing most of it. I think it'll be the same for everyone.

That means no changes to the engine.

The new PU has a front compressor, mid ICE MGU-H and turbine behind the ICE. That would mean that the PU would sit further back from the driver, closer to the rear wheels and therefore need a new gearbox too. Not to mention that this would all mess with the car's bal;ance so you'd probably need to mess with the wheelbase or soemthing like that.
Is this speculation? I’ve not heard such a detailed analysis of the new engine like this before.

Pictures from Alonso's visit in the PU thread of 2020...September

diffuser

I know the Renault Power Unit Hardware isn't easy to find so here.

Present PU ...

Next years:

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

RedNEO

Jolle wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 00:00
RedNEO wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 21:55
diffuser wrote:
05 Jan 2021, 18:56

Asked where the focus for the team's new challenger would be, he said: "Other than nose, chassis, engine and gearbox, we're looking at reviewing most of it. I think it'll be the same for everyone.

That means no changes to the engine.

The new PU has a front compressor, mid ICE MGU-H and turbine behind the ICE. That would mean that the PU would sit further back from the driver, closer to the rear wheels and therefore need a new gearbox too. Not to mention that this would all mess with the car's bal;ance so you'd probably need to mess with the wheelbase or soemthing like that.
Is this speculation? I’ve not heard such a detailed analysis of the new engine like this before.
If this is true, and they are going to change the layout of the engine (and therefore the chassis and balance) so much, looks like they are writing off 2021 more or less to have a homologated new engine design for '22. This will widen the gap from the current midfield, who all are doing the same thing one way or the other, to the top two even bigger in the short term.
The way Fry is talking I don’t see it like they are writing off 2021. They seem like they will use it to make improvements they feel they needed to understand about last years car but couldn’t make them in time due to COVID messing up what was supposed to be the last year of that concept of car. Obviously this is all just about the changes that are not directly related to 2022 but since they didn’t have to worry about splitting resources they could make them like other teams because of the freeze.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 03:36

Present PU ...

https://i.imgur.com/zrQJtLe.jpg

Next years:

https://i.imgur.com/JlWrWTE.jpg
Thanks for the photos. What are the two top right engines on the bottom pic? Is one Honda and the other Mercedes?

lio007

RedNEO wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 13:31
diffuser wrote:

Present PU ...

Next years:

Thanks for the photos. What are the two top right engines on the bottom pic? Is one Honda and the other Mercedes?
Yes!

RedNEO

lio007 wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 13:46
RedNEO wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Present PU ...

Next years:

https://i.imgur.com/JlWrWTE.jpg
Yes!
Thanks. Looking at the pic of the new Renault engine intake, it’s low, and it appears to fit in with the current Renault cars intake or am I wrong?

diffuser

RedNEO wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 13:55
lio007 wrote:
06 Jan 2021, 13:46
RedNEO wrote:

Yes!
Thanks. Looking at the pic of the new Renault engine intake, it’s low, and it appears to fit in with the current Renault cars intake or am I wrong?
The top middle PU is Honda.

I don't know. maybe....Maybe more for 2022?

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

oetger

diffuser

Before someone reads this and makes this assersion. It's a lie.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/a351522 ... have-left/

Fernando Alonso's first stint in Formula 1 came to an end in 2018, but it went off the rails the day Sebastian Vettel chose to join Ferrari. Ferrari's team structure simply does not have room for two drivers of that caliber, so the two-time World Champion was displaced for a four-time World Champion. Alonso went to a struggling McLaren, setting the stage for what proved to be four disastrous years.

Alonso had 5 years remain on his Ferrari contract, he asked Ferrari to be let out of his contract. Then Ferrari went after Vettel. Marco Mattiacci was later fired in his first year as team principle for his inability to keep Alonso.

Was it a bone head move by Alonso to leave Ferrari? In restrospective it was.

Manoah2u

I personally don't think so. Ferrari was going nowhere. Even if Vettel did not end up there, or even if Alonso stayed, the 'chemistry' was over and not going to live up again.
That does not mean Ferrari had any 'bad feelings' towards Alonso, nor did Alonso to Ferrari, it's just that the original sparks and excitement and with it, motivation, had dwindled down.
It would have become a big slur, and it's probable Vettel wanted a NR1 status, and even if not, Alonso just wasn't into it.
Yeah, Mclaren didnt work, but that was not down to Alonso.

I see some positive vibes with Alpine right now, so i think there's some potential there.

I just hope Nando gets to have a few wins in the coming 2, 3 years. A Title chance? that would be glorious but i think a bit too high a task.
It would be different @ Mercedes, but that would also be immensely boring imho. Alonso doesn't really need to prove himself, Russell 'does', so that's a reason why i'd concider Russel @ Merc exciting but Alonso rather boring. I think Alonso is at the right place right now, though i also would have been excited to see him @ RedBull, but that won't work with Honda there.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

diffuser

You start off by saying " You don't think so". What don't you think so? You think Alonso was forced out by Ferrari? Cause that's what " my assertion" was. I lived it, I followed the news in the day. Ferrari was begging him to stay. This is fact. Once it became apparent he wasn't staying, Ferrari started talking to Vettel. By then Alonso was already a done deal at McLaren. RBR were actually surprised Vettel asked to get released from his contract. They had Max.

RedNEO

diffuser wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 03:05
You start off by saying " You don't think so". What don't you think so? You think Alonso was forced out by Ferrari? Cause that's what " my assertion" was. I lived it, I followed the news in the day. Ferrari was begging him to stay. This is fact. Once it became apparent he wasn't staying, Ferrari started talking to Vettel. By then Alonso was already a done deal at McLaren. RBR were actually surprised Vettel asked to get released from his contract. They had Max.
This is correct. Alonso was not forced out of Ferrari. It was James Alison in particular who was trying to persuade him to sign until as late as 2019.