Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

:idea:

We know a better, brand new engine is coming. Good results on the dyno. Better than expected in fact. But what about the chassis? The chassis certainly was a weak point. Hard to drive and barely faster than Hass and Alfa Romeo at times.

We have some clues that the gearbox area will change to facilitate a better diffuser.

What about the nose? Will Ferrari have enough tokens for the nose? The nose is not free last I heard.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Big Tea

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2021, 15:06

We know a better, brand new engine is coming. Good results on the dyno. Better than expected in fact. But what about the chassis? The chassis certainly was a weak point. Hard to drive and barely faster than Hass and Alfa Romeo at times.

We have some clues that the gearbox area will change to facilitate a better diffuser.

What about the nose? Will Ferrari have enough tokens for the nose? The nose is not free last I heard.
What happens if they exceed the tokens? Do they get a slap on the wrist and points deducted PR style?
If so, it may be worth taking the hit to have the car competitive sooner and carry over the knowledge.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

FDD
FDD

AFAIK from Italian mediums they'll spend the tokens on the rear: gearbox, suspension and arrangement of cooling system.
Yes the nose is not tokens free, except for aero changes which not includes structural changes.
Edit: Forget to mention that info in Italian mediums is based on Binotto's statements.
The last info that I read https://www.formu1a.uno/ferrari-sf21-po ... t-gettoni/
PS Somewhere I read that they'll maybe split the hot and cool parts of turbo.

the EDGE

The full list of Homologated parts and the tokens required to modify can be found here on page 100 https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf

Most changes require 2 tokens to make so the team only have 2 tokens they will be limited to upgrade only 1 part, however it is also permitted to make other small changes required to accommodate the part upgraded and some areas of the chassis that can be modified token free, for example certain parts of the floor for a change in wheelbase length

the EDGE

Big Tea wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2021, 16:43

What happens if they exceed the tokens? Do they get a slap on the wrist and points deducted PR style?
If so, it may be worth taking the hit to have the car competitive sooner and carry over the knowledge.

Any planned modifications made to homologated parts were required to be submitted to the FIA in advance, 5 days after the end of the last GP of 2020 to be permitted. As the homologation rules are part of the Technical regulations any breach would mean a team would not be eligible to compete with the part that breaches the rules

Tracing Point were found guilty of breaching the Sporting regulations, not the technical regulations which is why they were allowed to continue to compete using the same brake ducts they copied from Mercedes

PlatinumZealot

the EDGE wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2021, 20:21

The full list of Homologated parts and the tokens required to modify can be found here on page 100 https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf

Most changes require 2 tokens to make so the team only have 2 tokens they will be limited to upgrade only 1 part, however it is also permitted to make other small changes required to accommodate the part upgraded and some areas of the chassis that can be modified token free, for example certain parts of the floor for a change in wheelbase length
There is also a loop-hole I feel.
Ferrari may have built the new nose-cone and homogated it before the 2020 dead-line. Racing point seemed to do this to "lock in" their brake ducts before 2020. They just didn't race the part in 2019. Could Ferrari have locked in any upgrades by testing and getting them homologated already?

the EDGE

07 Jan 2021, 21:30

Ferrari may have built the new nose-cone and homogated it before the 2020 dead-line. Racing point seemed to do this to "lock in" their brake ducts before 2020. They just didn't race the part in 2019. Could Ferrari have locked in any upgrades by testing and getting them homologated already?
The homologated parts can only be changed on the car after 30 sept 2020 with the use of tokens. It is irrelevant when the part was designed, built or crash tested

Yes they can still change the nose for β€˜21, however if they do they will not be able to make any other changes to any other homologated parts as it would require them to spend their 2 tokens on the nose cone change

Non-structural β€˜aero’ fairings of the nose are not homologated, so can be changed at will at any point

FDD
FDD

I am not sure in this but I think that they can not have 2 spec of some part homologated at the same time and to interchange them, I am saying again I am not sure in that.

the EDGE

FDD wrote: ↑
07 Jan 2021, 22:27

I am not sure in this but I think that they can not have 2 spec of some part homologated at the same time and to interchange them, I am saying again I am not sure in that.
Yes that’s correct. You can only homologate 1 of each part. The parts raced on the car at Mugello were the parts that were Homologated.

For example that is why McLaren had to introduce their new nose before this date. After 30 September they were then unable to revert to the earlier spec despite the fact it had already been raced in the past

Although that is not strictly true, a team can revert back to the previous spec, even if it is introduced as a token change but they must do so with a certain time frame. If they revert back to the previous spec they can not use the new spec again and must stick with the old spec until the end of the season. Neither can they re-use the tokens again on another new spec, or to upgrade any other homologated part

FDD
FDD

07 Jan 2021, 22:50

Yes that’s correct. You can only homologate 1 of each part. The parts raced on the car at Mugello were the parts that were Homologated.

For example that is why McLaren had to introduce their new nose before this date. After 30 September they were then unable to revert to the earlier spec despite the fact it had already been raced in the past

Although that is not strictly true, a team can revert back to the previous spec, even if it is introduced as a token change but they must do so with a certain time frame. If they revert back to the previous spec they can not use the new spec again and must stick with the old spec until the end of the season. Neither can they re-use the tokens again on another new spec, or to upgrade any other homologated part
Thank You for the precise info

PlatinumZealot

They can homologate the new nose structure... and chose not to run it in 2020 for cost reasons perhaps. Then introduce it in 2021.

the EDGE

07 Jan 2021, 23:14

They can homologate the new nose structure... and chose not to run it in 2020 for cost reasons perhaps. Then introduce it in 2021.
No, they must run the homologated parts from September 30th 2020. That is what the rule is

They can use 2 tokens to introduce a new nose, but then they can’t change any other homologated parts as they would have used all of their tokens
Last edited by the EDGE on 07 Jan 2021, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

FDD
FDD

I read on several occasions (speculations) that Ferrari made aero and CFD trials with slim nose and they did not find in summary any advantages over wide one.
This is very probable because they state that tokens will be used in the rear part of the car and also if they find advantages they will homologate until 30 Sep. Instead of that they decided to further develop the current version of the nose.
This is my opinion on the Ferrari's "nose" subject.

the EDGE

07 Jan 2021, 23:41
I read on several occasions (speculations) that Ferrari made aero and CFD trials with slim nose and they did not find in summary any advantages over wide one.
This is very probable because they state that tokens will be used in the rear part of the car and also if they find advantages they will homologate until 30 Sep. Instead of that they decided to further develop the current version of the nose.
This is my opinion on the Ferrari's "nose" subject.
A slimmer nose on its own might not show any advantage, It’s not necessarily about the extra drag caused by it

In my opinion Ferrari may well choose to spend their 2 tokens on a new nose and not change the rear

Aero surfaces have not been homologated and teams will upgrade these over the winter and through next year as normal

The slimmer nose allows more space for the y250 vortices from the inner wingtips to work the air more from the front of the car, speeding it up around and under the car and in turn creating a more stable rear end by working the diffuser harder

I have no idea what Ferrari are planning but this seems as likely a development path as any other

What ever they choose to do, it will be done in conjunction with how they choose to manage the changes to the floor and brake duct regulations

People seem to forget this, although the chassis & Mechanical parts of the car have been homologated there are still major rules changes for this year that have required a huge aero development program as usual. These changes are capable of really upsetting the current order

PlatinumZealot

07 Jan 2021, 23:24

No, they must run the homologated parts from September 30th 2020. That is what the rule is

They can use 2 tokens to introduce a new nose, but then they can’t change any other homologated parts as they would have used all of their tokens
I was thinking on the edge of the regulations... There is a little clause in there about costs...
Ferrari could show that "Hey FIA, we homologated this new 2020/2021 nose, but we do not have the budget allocated to race it. We already spent money on fifteen copies of the old nose. We did not expect that we would be so behind aerodynamically. If we use the new nose in 2020 it will not work immediately and thus it will cost us additional resources to tweak the aerodynamics to get it to work not to mention the fifteen old noses will go to waste. Please allow us to continue using the old nose for the rest of 2020 so that we can save resources by making the new nose specifically to our 2021 design."

Don't think that will fly?