Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nevill3

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

Just heard a rumour that Testing will be at Bahrain 12th March (two weeks before the 1st race). Not official yet just a comment from Crofty on sky
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Wouter

nevill3 wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 19:01
Just heard a rumour that Testing will be at Bahrain 12th March (two weeks before the 1st race). Not official yet just a comment from Crofty on sky
Crofty?? Doesn't he watch Twitter? Look at the time. :-)

The Power of Dreams!

nevill3

I must admit I have only just seen the Crofty video, it was posted earlier today and I do not follow Twitter or regularly visit autosport.com. So is this a good idea or bad for the teams etc.
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Wouter

nevill3 wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 19:22
I must admit I have only just seen the Crofty video, it was posted earlier today and I do not follow Twitter or regularly visit autosport.com. So is this a good idea or bad for the teams etc.
My message wasn't for you, but for Crofty. :wink:

I don't know where to put this.

Brazilian judge suspends Saulo Paulo's Formula One contract!

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/76457/br ... tract.html
The Power of Dreams!

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 21:39
Wouter wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 20:56

No quarantine for the drivers from other countries?
Not sure, but I'd think that evidence of being virus free and ongoing testing to ensure continuous virus free status would be looked favourably. After all, the reason the rest of us have to quarantine is because we don't have access to that level of testing.
Why don't they just arrive in time to quarantine and then go to the factory?? Why should they get special treatment?? Because as we have already seen, F1 drivers can still catch it even in their bubbles, so they could spread it before testing positive as well.

FFS the border should be closed. No-one should be entering the country at all.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

adrianjordan wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 21:04
Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 21:39
Wouter wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 20:56

No quarantine for the drivers from other countries?
Not sure, but I'd think that evidence of being virus free and ongoing testing to ensure continuous virus free status would be looked favourably. After all, the reason the rest of us have to quarantine is because we don't have access to that level of testing.
Why don't they just arrive in time to quarantine and then go to the factory?? Why should they get special treatment?? Because as we have already seen, F1 drivers can still catch it even in their bubbles, so they could spread it before testing positive as well.

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't quarantine etc., just how they might be being allowed to do things. Don't shoot the messenger. :wink: 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

I think the teams will be very careful with testing and do something like isolate all team members apart from each other close to the circuit. One positive test with contact with team members in the days leading to the test can destroy their whole and only real testing.

nzjrs

adrianjordan wrote:
I think the border is a small part these days, I mean UK is the most infectious country around!

I think it's just that the rules started vague and nobody can be bothered following them anymore. Here is a good overview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008

Data shows people are almost back going to work as they did before. Good sign for F1, average sign for the UK pandemic response.

Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 21:51
adrianjordan wrote:
I think the border is a small part these days, I mean UK is the most infectious country around!

I think it's just that the rules started vague and nobody can be bothered following them anymore. Here is a good overview: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/55626008

Data shows people are almost back going to work as they did before. Good sign for F1, average sign for the UK pandemic response.
Most people are following the rules but there are enough selfish numpties that refuse to wear masks etc. that the new variant is finding it easy to spread. With supermarkets now saying "no mask, no entry" there might be some positive progress with the idiots too.

As for almost back to work, the data doesn't say that at all. It's still half of normal rather than a third of normal in the first lock down.

It's still possible that the UK "outbreak" could prevent the start of the season. If enough team members get it, the team won't be allowed in to countries.

nzjrs

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 22:12
nzjrs wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

Most people are following the rules but there are enough selfish numpties that refuse to wear masks etc. that the new variant is finding it easy to spread. With supermarkets now saying "no mask, no entry" there might be some positive progress with the idiots too.

As for almost back to work, the data doesn't say that at all. It's still half of normal rather than a third of normal in the first lock down.

It's still possible that the UK "outbreak" could prevent the start of the season. If enough team members get it, the team won't be allowed in to countries.
I would argue that a half vs a third shows that it's not just a minority not following rules, but a chronic problem setting flaccid rules much too late.

Just_a_fan

nzjrs wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 22:19
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 22:12
nzjrs wrote:

I would argue that a half vs a third shows that it's not just a minority not following rules, but a chronic problem setting flaccid rules much too late.
People going to work is fine in some cases. It's people being deliberately obstructive, not taking care, etc., that's the main risk.

One could argue that Government should make everyone stay home for a month except for food shopping. But it ain't going to happen for political reasons we can't discuss here, so it's moot.

Anyway, if Covid does run through the UK-based teams then F1 is shut down.

ESPImperium

Here is my take, The second wave, third wave, third surge or whatever phase every country is on F1 will be affected, very affected.

I think we will start in Bahrain, a sensible choice. Imola second, sensible. Portamao and Cataluna back to back, sensible. Then we come to the first sticking point, Monaco, this will be cancelled and replaced with something not on the calendar or bring something else following, same with Azerbaijan. Id like to place Zandvoort and Spa in here. Canada may take place, id bet on the fact it won't. France, Austria and Silverstone will all take place, maybe not in this order. Id like to see France with maybe Hockenhiem or Nurburgring in there if Canada can't go ahead. Id place Silverstone with another track that can be got easily in the timeframe, Assen anyone? This would lead into a September in Italy again, with Monza and Mugello. Id like to say Sochi and Istanbul would make good bedfellows here. Singapore, Japan, USA, Mexico City and Brazil will all be off, id say Australia and Malaysia would be good here, maybe if Singapore and Japan can get the go ahead, add these as a back to back. This would leave just Jeddah and Abu Dhabi to end the season.

So in essence:
Bahrain test

Bahrain
Imola

Portamao
Barcelona

Zandvoort
Spa

Nurburgring
Paul Ricard

Austria
Silverstone

Hockenhiem
Hungaroring

Monza
Mugello

Sochi
Istanbul Park

Melbourne
Sepang

Singapore
Suzuka

Jeddah
Abu Dhabi

That will be 22 races, 23 is one too far, 22 would be a good figure. Each race needs a back-to-back with another. Where there can be air bridges put in place, where F1 can have its bubble and get on with it. Fans will not see a car this year, last year we got lucky, this year we won't get as lucky. Id suggest that even 22 races will be a stretch. This year we need to have a flexible calendar, where races can be arranged quite quickly at quality venues, ideally secluded ones, city ones may not be great, Melbourne may be the exception than the rule as they can quite easily hold the race in a quarantined track in a city venue.

Ill suggest this, Codemasters will probably be quietly tearing their hair out as fans would be expecting these alternative venues to be included in the game this year.

The main problem is at the teams HQ. this is where the game could be changed quite quickly. Those 2022 rules may be postponed till 2023 with the present cars being carried over for one more year, with teams being given more tokens to where they will improve their cars from this to next year and a development embargo from Mugello onward.

May I also suggest that it may be wise for teams to have four drivers, even five ready to go. Id say that more drivers will come down with COVID-19, id suggest:
Haas: Grosjean and Fitapaldi
Red Bull: Albon and Buemi
Alpha Tauri: Kvjiat and Buemi
McLaren: Vandoorne and Magnussen
Mercedes: Russell and Vandoorne
Aston Martin: Hulkenberg
Alfa Romeo: Kubica
Williams: Aitken
Ferrari: Hartley
Alpine: Sirokin

Id suggest that every team will have at least 2 or 3 drivers ready to go at almost a moments notice.

This will be a tough year to get through for all in the sport.

Just_a_fan

ESPImperium wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 23:08
Melbourne may be the exception than the rule as they can quite easily hold the race in a quarantined track in a city venue.
The Aussies will slam the door on any race if they even sniff a chance that someone might be bringing in the virus. I would say Melbourne is one of the "just as likely to be cancelled" events, even late in the year.

The main problem is at the teams HQ. this is where the game could be changed quite quickly. Those 2022 rules may be postponed till 2023 with the present cars being carried over for one more year[...]
Quite possible, the way things are going with infection rates.
May I also suggest that it may be wise for teams to have four drivers, even five ready to go. Id say that more drivers will come down with COVID-19, id suggest:

Id suggest that every team will have at least 2 or 3 drivers ready to go at almost a moments notice.

In terms of the multiple drivers idea, there are a few that have had the virus and likely have (some?) immunity. The teams that have been virus free are the ones most at need of multiple spare drivers. Lando getting it now might be good for him this season. Likewise Hamilton had it recently. Perez might be too long after his bout or he might still have immunity. A bigger issue might be the travelling staff. Lose both of your drivers' race engineers and things could be tricky for a race or two - the relationship between driver and his race engineer is really important.

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 23:48
ESPImperium wrote:
12 Jan 2021, 23:08
Melbourne may be the exception than the rule as they can quite easily hold the race in a quarantined track in a city venue.
The Aussies will slam the door on any race if they even sniff a chance that someone might be bringing in the virus. I would say Melbourne is one of the "just as likely to be cancelled" events, even late in the year.

The main problem is at the teams HQ. this is where the game could be changed quite quickly. Those 2022 rules may be postponed till 2023 with the present cars being carried over for one more year[...]
Quite possible, the way things are going with infection rates.

In terms of the multiple drivers idea, there are a few that have had the virus and likely have (some?) immunity. The teams that have been virus free are the ones most at need of multiple spare drivers. Lando getting it now might be good for him this season. Likewise Hamilton had it recently. Perez might be too long after his bout or he might still have immunity. A bigger issue might be the travelling staff. Lose both of your drivers' race engineers and things could be tricky for a race or two - the relationship between driver and his race engineer is really important.
WRT immunity, I had Covid in March/April last year, had a repeat antibody test last week and still have them.

However, there is a caveat to that in that there's a growing theory that front line healthcare staff are maintaining immunity through repeat low level exposure.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Wouter

adrianjordan wrote:
13 Jan 2021, 14:07
WRT immunity, I had Covid in March/April last year, had a repeat antibody test last week and still have them.

However, there is a caveat to that in that there's a growing theory that front line healthcare staff are maintaining immunity through repeat low level exposure.
Thank you for this information @adrianjordan !
The Power of Dreams!