Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Should this thread be renamed to remove the years and just run and run?

(Sorry, OCD kicking in a little lol)
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 01:42
I honestly don’t know what negotiation tactics Lewis is employing if all this is true. Is he still under XIX management?

Surely they must see that Lewis has nowhere else to go barring shock retirement
Maybe they think they need him to ensure another year of double titles.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
I honestly don’t know what negotiation tactics Lewis is employing if all this is true. Is he still under XIX management?

He left XIX, Nicole and McLaren long ago, my guy.

Manages himself since.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

hollus

I started a new silly season thread for 2021-2022-2023. Not a big deal, feel free to post here if you prefer it, but the new thread is over here:

Silly season 2021-2022-2023

and a gentle reminder to all: every user can start a new thread!
Rivals, not enemies.

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 03:57
raymondu999 wrote:

He left XIX, Nicole and McLaren long ago, my guy.

Manages himself since.
IIRC he left Nicole some time 2011/2012? Then joined XIX around 2012.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Just_a_fan wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 13:49
raymondu999 wrote:

No I was looking at the opposite point. Lewis has very little bargaining chips IMO. George will be an example that they can cite — saying they don’t need “a Lewis” — as it were. Whether or not it’s not true is slightly less relevant.

My point is Merc just has to ride it out — take it or leave it. Because IMO Lewis has no other options anyway
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

Sources are rubbishing keeping the cars for another year. I say, if people get their birdy wings in order we can have a cracking season. A nice pepper corn.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
11 Jan 2021, 03:16
Just_a_fan wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:

No I was looking at the opposite point. Lewis has very little bargaining chips IMO. George will be an example that they can cite — saying they don’t need “a Lewis” — as it were. Whether or not it’s not true is slightly less relevant.

My point is Merc just has to ride it out — take it or leave it. Because IMO Lewis has no other options anyway
If Lewis is dropped there will be hell to pay. Millions of followers will boycot Mercedes in protest. Mercedes wants none of that smoke.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

prince

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 04:13
raymondu999 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

If Lewis is dropped there will be hell to pay. Millions of followers will boycot Mercedes in protest. Mercedes wants none of that smoke.
:lol:

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Again — in theory yes. But I don’t see Merc losing sleep over it. Someone buying a Merc is not gonna switch to an Audi or a BMW because of it.

Some quick guesstimations — assuming Hamilton is at a conservative 40million euros per season, and George is at 1million offered — a fully specced S500 goes around 117,786 euro — Merc need to sell 331 S500s to make the difference. That’s more than 6 S classes a week. If hamilton is at a higher retainer obviously that number goes up higher. And a lot of these people buying S classes are not gonna care who drives a W11/12/11B in F1

You obviously dont feel the same way and that’s fine. But I’m saying if I were in Olla Kalenius spot, I would play hard — very hard — to get and ride it out.

Whatever remuneration(financial or otherwise) gap is between the Hamilton ask and the offer to Russell will not have enough of an impact on Merc sales to vote otherwise, IMO.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

prince

raymondu999 wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 06:59
PlatinumZealot wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:

Again — in theory yes. But I don’t see Merc losing sleep over it. Someone buying a Merc is not gonna switch to an Audi or a BMW because of it.

Some quick guesstimations — assuming Hamilton is at a conservative 40million euros per season, and George is at 1million offered — a fully specced S500 goes around 117,786 euro — Merc need to sell 331 S500s to make the difference. That’s more than 6 S classes a week. If hamilton is at a higher retainer obviously that number goes up higher. And a lot of these people buying S classes are not gonna care who drives a W11/12/11B in F1

You obviously dont feel the same way and that’s fine. But I’m saying if I were in Olla Kalenius spot, I would play hard — very hard — to get and ride it out.

Whatever remuneration(financial or otherwise) gap is between the Hamilton ask and the offer to Russell will not have enough of an impact on Merc sales to vote otherwise, IMO.
That's a good view of commercial side of the business. Ola is definitely in driver's seat here. I guess, Toto will find the best compromise that works for both parties. It makes sense though to blood in George.

raymondu999

prince wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 07:24
That's a good view of commercial side of the business. Ola is definitely in driver's seat here. I guess, Toto will find the best compromise that works for both parties. It makes sense though to blood in George.
I mean, I have no internal knowledge of whether they are only considering George. George’s name is just a placeholder for one out of any number of viable & willing (&cheaper!) candidates.

But if it were me, I would probably go with GR63. The chassis being frozen would help — they have access to Hamilton’s telemetry a year ago which can immediately help them. Without needing Hamilton in the team live.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

I think it it did come to hard sell Merc would take the opportunity to 'demonstrate' the car or driver argument falls their way.
That is by winning another title with a different, some would say inexperienced, driver.

The only reply for that would be for Hamilton to win the title, and that would be an achievement. For him and the team he goes to.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote:
14 Jan 2021, 06:59

The dealer makes a big bunch from the servicing too. Also you must remember, there are 180 or so countries who buy Mercedes. And locations that will get more visibility because of Lewis. 330 S500's is a nothing.. 2 cars in each country a year? Anyway.. Lewis is bringing a strong brand presence to millions of kids. That is the key.

F1 is ENTERTAINMENT and a MARKETING EXERCISE...

Lewis stands out leagues ahead of anyone else here. He is a gem. Worth 50 million? hmm.. if they pay for it, yes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Scorpaguy

Significant Merc sales due to their F1 involvement...I think not (regardless of who is wheeling their cars). I think the world views the brand as luxury oriented, not sport. If it was a big factor of their sales, and drivers an integral part thereof, they would not have that big chunk of styrofoam, Bot, in the other car.

I can see Big Red making gains from their exposure, maybe Mcl. I figure Ren was gaining nothing and hoped the Alpine switch might help move some product.

Alfa's lackluster effort could actually be depressing sales.

Porsche is one that I could see benefitting from participation...especially with a charismatic, winning driver.

I envision a somewhat awkward boardroom...Ham demanding cash and freedom while the suits weep and gnash their teeth over a driver they do not need yet can Ill afford to not sign (with Rus hiding under the table, ready to spring out and sign-bomb Ham's contract).