[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 10:34
Big congratulations to Variante!
Thanks!

LVDH wrote:
certificates for the champ ... hall of fame on the homepage ... And then there is quite a surprise ... online conference
Uuuh lots of interesting stuff...

LVDH wrote:
It should be evident that there is a lot of work that needs to get done, so help is very welcome.
I have almost all the data ever of KVRC/MVRC. I'm mostly missing chunks of the very first season...but maybe someone else can fill the gaps.

LVDH

variante wrote:
05 Dec 2020, 16:43
I have almost all the data ever of KVRC/MVRC. I'm mostly missing chunks of the very first season...but maybe someone else can fill the gaps.
I have located all data. I hope to find a good place for this and a hall of fame, the coming days.

The next two days, we will see some images of the best 5 cars of 2020:

LVDH

Here some stream line images:

Tomorrow we will see how all this translates into low pressure areas.

k.ko100v

I am very surprised that there is no double deck diffuser within the TOP5 cars.

I was ready to put money that Variante's diff is double. :shock:

Very nice pictures with different concepts. Looking forward for the next portion. :)

Regards,
Krasen

wb92

k.ko100v wrote:
25 Jan 2021, 13:35

Very nice pictures with different concepts. Looking forward for the next portion. :)

Regards,
Krasen
With that set of rules double deck diffuser was simply not possible to make it work

at the beginning of MVRC2019 I had it, but due to not enough pressure differences it was not possible to get any performance out of it, and construction of these surfaces was overcomplicating the system. Add to it no beam wings and really short distance in X to form the diffuser, and disaster is guaranteed :)
MVRC - WBRacing

jjn9128

wb92 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 11:21
k.ko100v wrote:

Regards,
Krasen
With that set of rules double deck diffuser was simply not possible to make it work
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rr-024.png

at the beginning of MVRC2019 I had it, but due to not enough pressure differences it was not possible to get any performance out of it, and construction of these surfaces was overcomplicating the system. Add to it no beam wings and really short distance in X to form the diffuser, and disaster is guaranteed :)
The floor rules basically prohibited it. Then the lack of a beam to lower the base pressure meant it would basically just be sucking on the top of the main diffuser.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

k.ko100v

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 12:01
wb92 wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 11:21
k.ko100v wrote:

Regards,
Krasen
https://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content ... rr-024.png

The floor rules basically prohibited it. Then the lack of a beam to lower the base pressure meant it would basically just be sucking on the top of the main diffuser.
Hm,

Actually, I managed to make one and run it for the last race. Felt like there is potential for further improvement, and missed opportunity.

Anyway, I don't know how good it is, as I cannot compare it to others. But it was I think my best so far. The only problem was that it somehow interacted with the RW and the impact was negative for the RW.

Maybe Andre could say how good it was, as a diffuser performance only.

Floor Cl + Diffuser Cl + plank Cl = -0.471 -0.435 -0.301 = -1.207

Regards,
Krasen

LVDH

k.ko100v wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 13:54

Maybe Andre could say how good it was, as a diffuser performance only.

Floor Cl + Diffuser Cl + plank Cl = -0.471 -0.435 -0.301 = -1.207

Regards,
Krasen
Not sure if I understand you, maybe you can elaborate.
Here are some pictures with some nice blue patches:
Last edited by LVDH on 26 Jan 2021, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

variante

Thanks for the images! I think i'll spend some time studying them...
BTW, i can't see GCBB pressure img.

Can't wait for the hall of fame! :D

LVDH

variante wrote:
26 Jan 2021, 18:55
Thanks for the images! I think i'll spend some time studying them...
BTW, i can't see GCBB pressure img.

Can't wait for the hall of fame! :D
fixed

wb92

These pics are indeed cool to see now. They prove two things: that I had really huge issue with floor/diffuser to make it working as shown here, and second is that skipping 2020 season was in general good decision.

However now comes the question someone has to ask: any news about 2021 edition and rules?
MVRC - WBRacing

LVDH

wb92 wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 15:50
These pics are indeed cool to see now. They prove two things: that I had really huge issue with floor/diffuser to make it working as shown here, and second is that skipping 2020 season was in general good decision.

However now comes the question someone has to ask: any news about 2021 edition and rules?
The main blocker is that I have to incorporate something into MFlow that will morph the suspension when you set a rake angle. With the F1 cars, we cannot just omit these geometry changes needed for this feature and I cannot let you guys do it manually and I have to then do it for every submission this year. But actually, today I will once more get on this. As soon as that is done, getting the new rules done will be easy.

jjn9128

LVDH wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:09
wb92 wrote:

The main blocker is that I have to incorporate something into MFlow that will morph the suspension when you set a rake angle. With the F1 cars, we cannot just omit these geometry changes needed for this feature and I cannot let you guys do it manually and I have to then do it for every submission this year. But actually, today I will once more get on this. As soon as that is done, getting the new rules done will be easy.
It's a bit of a blunt instrument but you could have 4-10 suspension combinations depending on chosen rake angle? What rake angles were common? Depending how the floor rules work I can't imagine anything other than 0 being "optimal" because you can cheat rake with the tunnels.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

LVDH

jjn9128 wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:41
LVDH wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 18:09
wb92 wrote:

It's a bit of a blunt instrument but you could have 4-10 suspension combinations depending on chosen rake angle? What rake angles were common? Depending how the floor rules work I can't imagine anything other than 0 being "optimal" because you can cheat rake with the tunnels.
Yes, this is my backup plan and I am once more very sympathetic to it.

jjn9128

LVDH wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 19:11
Yes, this is my backup plan and I am once more very sympathetic to it.
Any chance of some pics of the boxes and mandatory parts so we can see how they diverge from 2022?
#aerogandalf