SSC Tuatara hits 331mph top speed!

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Morteza

Re: SSC Tuatara hits 331mph top speed!

Tuatara hit 279.7 mph on its northbound run and 286.1 mph on its southbound run, that both runs were completed within an hour of each other, and that the average of the two runs was 282.9 mph, good enough to break the prior record of 277.87 mph (average run) and the prior single-run record of 285 mph.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Greg Locock

Oh, so it is 45 mph slower than last time. Just a rounding error I guess.

cheeRS

Greg Locock wrote:
27 Jan 2021, 22:33
Oh, so it is 45 mph slower than last time. Just a rounding error I guess.
Well, everyone knows the last time was a fraud/mistake.

For this one, they only had 2.3 miles to accelerate, which is very short when it comes to top speed runs. If you watch the video, it was still pulling hard and fast at 286MPH.

So, runway limited top speed, but nowhere near the real top speed. And I say this as someone who really dislikes SSC.
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

Just_a_fan

To be fair, if you can't break the world production car top speed record with 1700bhp then you're doing something wrong. Someone will come along soon with 2000bhp and break it again. There's nothing new about these speeds in cars - they were done decades ago in similar manner with big outputs in a streamlined body. Now, to make a car that can do that and be properly usable on the public road, handle the twisty stuff beautifully etc., that's a different challenge. How good a car is the Tuatara?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

LM10

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 11:23
To be fair, if you can't break the world production car top speed record with 1700bhp then you're doing something wrong. Someone will come along soon with 2000bhp and break it again. There's nothing new about these speeds in cars - they were done decades ago in similar manner with big outputs in a streamlined body. Now, to make a car that can do that and be properly usable on the public road, handle the twisty stuff beautifully etc., that's a different challenge. How good a car is the Tuatara?
That’s where Koenigsegg comes in.

graham.reeds

Is it just me or do the gear shifts take an age?

Craigy

graham.reeds wrote:
29 Jan 2021, 08:06
Is it just me or do the gear shifts take an age?
It's not you. The gearbox is a CIMA T1107. I've been looking for shift times without success, but it does sound slow to me.
Edited to add: aha. It's a robotized manual rather than a DCT. Automac AMT.
Shift speeds are apparently "under 100ms", which I take to mean "actually quite slow for a hypercar".

(linked to from the cima SSC page is this -- https://vehiclecue.it/ssc-tuatara-recor ... nza/24176/ )