Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

basti313 wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 17:30
The worst thing that might happen is RedBull with no engine and, thus Ves in the seat next to Lewis in 2022 with Ves having a long term contract and Lewis on the last year...I see no reason, I even see it as stupid if he would not try to prevent such a scenario.
I think it's more likely Max never drives a Merc, and ends up at Ferrari instead!
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u

I think Max, if not staying at RedBull, will likely end up either at Aston Martin, Alpine or Mclaren. That's it.
Lewis gets a 2-year deal so he'll be @ Mercedes atleast untill the end of the 2023 season.
If Merc is still the place to be, he'll extend for another 2 to grab the 10th title there.
If not, he MIGHT try with Ferrari in 2024 when a seat opens up there.
It's more likely he'll stay. And Russell is likely to replace Bottas in 2022.

That means Verstappen might get a seat at 2024 at Merc, but if Hamilton does not crave to stay since his chances are higher with another team,
then why on earth would Verstappen go there?

Ferrari doesn't look to me a Verstappen-place either, they're likely aiming at Mick Schumacher (he'll probably be no Michael, but they'll aim for that anyway, he'll be a good nr2).

That leaves Vettel to go to Mercedes just to drive and cash and be german at a german team alongside Russell, and the need for a good driver, which Max fits well and through RBR has a AM history.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
04 Feb 2021, 13:21
I think Max, if not staying at RedBull, will likely end up either at Aston Martin, Alpine or Mclaren. That's it.
Lewis gets a 2-year deal so he'll be @ Mercedes atleast untill the end of the 2023 season.
If Merc is still the place to be, he'll extend for another 2 to grab the 10th title there.

That means Verstappen might get a seat at 2024 at Merc, but if Hamilton does not crave to stay since his chances are higher with another team,

Ferrari doesn't look to me a Verstappen-place either, they're likely aiming at Mick Schumacher (he'll probably be no Michael, but they'll aim for that anyway, he'll be a good nr2).

That leaves Vettel to go to Mercedes just to drive and cash and be german at a german team alongside Russell, and the need for a good driver, which Max fits well and through RBR has a AM history.
Russell is the key here. If he performs at a championship level in the Mercedes (looks likely) then Mercedes don't need Verstappen along with his higher price tag and baggage. History shows they will prioritise team harmony while they are still at the top, so that will block Verstappen's path to a seat there. Verstappen's only hope is that Russell doesn't perform well.

As long as Leclerc is at Ferrari, there's no way in for Verstappen there either unless they can see Verstappen offers tangibly better results, which is hard to make a case for. Again they will not want two drivers fighting with each other in the team, so his only hope is Leclerc going off the boil.

Crucially, those drivers are both younger than Verstappen as well so he can't even wait it out. His hope, really, must be that either RBR or Renault (where Alonso won't be forever and there will be an opening soon) deliver a championship winning car he can drive. He's got no other move other than to Aston- although I don't think they want someone who is going to beat Stroll jr constantly- or Mclaren, but while Ricciardo is there I think they will avoid Verstappen like the plague.

Manoah2u

I'd argue that even with LeClerc gone, there's little chance that Max ends up @ Ferrari since Sainz is there now and I feel Sainz is meant to be there for the long haul, and Max & Sainz has not really been the best of combos in a team. I'd see DannyRic or Lando Norris end up @ Ferrari before Max would.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 11:24
I'd argue that even with LeClerc gone, there's little chance that Max ends up @ Ferrari since Sainz is there now and I feel Sainz is meant to be there for the long haul, and Max & Sainz has not really been the best of combos in a team. I'd see DannyRic or Lando Norris end up @ Ferrari before Max would.
I thought Ferrari were seen as having Schumacher nailed on A.S.A.P?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Manoah2u

If you'd take the effort of scrolling up only 2 replies, you'd see i already mentioned this.

RedNEO

Manoah2u wrote:

Looks like somebody skipped maths class

Gerhardsa

RedNEO wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:54
Manoah2u wrote:

Looks like somebody skipped maths class
And someone seems to still be in kindergarten passing comments on something that is obviously just a typo.

RedNEO

Gerhardsa wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 16:19
And someone seems to still be in kindergarten passing comments on something that is obviously just a typo.
It’s a light hearted jab, not everything has to be taken so seriously.

El Scorchio

Manoah2u wrote:
Very true. It's difficult to see a path there for him unless he's literally the only person on the grid they see as being able to win in their car. They seem to be trying to build a conveyer belt of drivers through formulae and junior F1 teams, and it's clear young driver programs and which you are in are having more an more impact and influence on where their careers ultimately go.

Danny Ric is a very good shout too. He brings a lot of energy and positivity wherever he goes and seems like a great bloke to motivate a team and to get behind. (Most popular bloke on the grid?) No one seems to have a bad word to say about him. Not short on talent either! Mclaren is going to be a really fun team next year, with him and Lando's personalities combined, especially if the car is decent. Was it Norris or Sainz that Dan gave a nut shot to in a post race interview?

Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
I think Sainz future at Ferrari is very dependable of the market and how the Ferrari junior's develop. As soon as someone like Mick Schumacher shows consistency and speed at the HAAS (all relative of course), Sainz' may be replaced. Although Sainz never had a bad season (or even race) or had any questions why he was in a certain seat, somehow he has already seen half the grid.

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 19:17
Manoah2u wrote:
I think Sainz future at Ferrari is very dependable of the market and how the Ferrari junior's develop. As soon as someone like Mick Schumacher shows consistency and speed at the HAAS (all relative of course), Sainz' may be replaced. Although Sainz never had a bad season (or even race) or had any questions why he was in a certain seat, somehow he has already seen half the grid.
I think it's unfair to say Sainz has never had a bad race. Wasn't it Russia last year where he made an error on the first lap and ended up in the wall?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u

RedNEO wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:00
Gerhardsa wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 16:19
It’s a light hearted jab, not everything has to be taken so seriously.
if it is a lighthearted jab, why do you respond so offended when you get criticised for it?
and indeed, i didn't notice i had made a typo there.

Jolle

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 23:50
Jolle wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
I think it's unfair to say Sainz has never had a bad race. Wasn't it Russia last year where he made an error on the first lap and ended up in the wall?
Let’s say they are rare.

Manoah2u

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 23:50
Jolle wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

if we're looking at contracts,LeClerc has a seat at Ferrari untill the end of 2024.
Sainz has one untill the end of 2022.

So no matter how good of performances Sainz will put down, his contract ends before that of LeClerc.
If Mick turns out to be as 'talented' as his father, or atleast talented enough to be the next 'son of a legend' and 'earn' a better seat, then Ferrari would likely wave Sainz goodbye in favour of SchumiJr.

So, as far Sainz' goes, he's going to have to prove himself quite profoundly. He's not only going to have to get to speed and perform in a 'new' team - which also is one of the most 'legendary' teams ever, he's also going to have to convincingly beat LeClerc - a teammate firmly planted @ Ferrari and a (Ferrari) race winner, whilst never having won a GP yet. I'd argue that ONLY if he totally beats LeClerc for 2 years on a row, he MIGHT have a chance of staying at Ferrari longer than the end of 2022, and that is no easy task.

After all, Lewis theoretically could be available/interested in 2023, and Mick too.

I'm afraid for Sainz though that it's more likely that he's going to have to find another team by 2023.