Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
basti313

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Big Tea wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 12:35
Manoah2u wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 11:24
I'd argue that even with LeClerc gone, there's little chance that Max ends up @ Ferrari since Sainz is there now and I feel Sainz is meant to be there for the long haul, and Max & Sainz has not really been the best of combos in a team. I'd see DannyRic or Lando Norris end up @ Ferrari before Max would.
I thought Ferrari were seen as having Schumacher nailed on A.S.A.P?
I expect the Haas to be super bad next year. There is no other team that develops as much backwards as Haas. This car will be undriveable and fighting with Latifi. The big issue with such a car is that you can proof nothing and will just show errors like Russel with driving into walls...
Same with the rule change...who will develop the Haas? Their first car was simply a copy of the Ferrari or a concept mule by Ferrari...but now they need to build a new car with just some Ex Ferrari engineers and no money???

You do not go into the Ferrari with being second to last, so I expect Haas to be a dead end street. If Schumacher is not lucky and can change to Alfa next year this will not work for him.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Big Tea

basti313 wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 00:46
Big Tea wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
I'd argue that even with LeClerc gone, there's little chance that Max ends up @ Ferrari since Sainz is there now and I feel Sainz is meant to be there for the long haul, and Max & Sainz has not really been the best of combos in a team. I'd see DannyRic or Lando Norris end up @ Ferrari before Max would.
I expect the Haas to be super bad next year. There is no other team that develops as much backwards as Haas. This car will be undriveable and fighting with Latifi. The big issue with such a car is that you can proof nothing and will just show errors like Russel with driving into walls...
Same with the rule change...who will develop the Haas? Their first car was simply a copy of the Ferrari or a concept mule by Ferrari...but now they need to build a new car with just some Ex Ferrari engineers and no money???

You do not go into the Ferrari with being second to last, so I expect Haas to be a dead end street. If Schumacher is not lucky and can change to Alfa next year this will not work for him.
I expect Schumacher to do some testing with Ferraris this year, so they will not be dependant on Haas for results, but they will get feedback from Haas on his ability and development. I think it is one of those things that Ferrari really want to happen, but if it does not materialise will quietly slide under the door
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Tizz

basti313 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

The only way for Ferrari to prepare Mick for Ferrari is when Ferrari draws quite a decent straw to the stack. He isn't getting any better by driving a substandard car.

Big Tea

Tizz wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 09:53
basti313 wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

The only way for Ferrari to prepare Mick for Ferrari is when Ferrari draws quite a decent straw to the stack. He isn't getting any better by driving a substandard car.
He is still probably doing promo for them. Or at lease would be if they were operating normally

Scorpaguy

...there is also the possibility that Big Red's Brass have determined that Mick is no Mike and had to find a place for him to quietly fade away. No disrespect intended as he is an obviously skilled driver ( and could likely equal Bot if given the chance to drive a Merc), but his career thus far does not indicate Mike/Ham/Fred level skills. His trajectory seems, at best, Hulk/Gasly-esc...capable of flashes of brilliance, but only that. Time will tell...but the Haas is likely to be a Latifi chasing (but not catching) dog.

El Scorchio

Scorpaguy wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 16:54
...there is also the possibility that Big Red's Brass have determined that Mick is no Mike and had to find a place for him to quietly fade away. No disrespect intended as he is an obviously skilled driver ( and could likely equal Bot if given the chance to drive a Merc), but his career thus far does not indicate Mike/Ham/Fred level skills. His trajectory seems, at best, Hulk/Gasly-esc...capable of flashes of brilliance, but only that. Time will tell...but the Haas is likely to be a Latifi chasing (but not catching) dog.
You think Mick Schumacher could get into the Mercedes and be Bottas’ equal? This insanity has got to stop....

Scorpaguy

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 13:48
You think Mick Schumacher could get into the Mercedes and be Bottas’ equal?
Yes

NathanOlder

Crazy. Remember Bottas beat Maldonado in his rookie year, then beat Massa 3 years running. If 2021 saw Bottas paired with Mick, Bottas would destroy him. After 2021, who knows. But theres no way Mick would beat Bottas in year 1 of his F1 career. I expect Mazepin to have every chance of beating Mick this year .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Scorpaguy

IMHO...Bot's colors were clearly illuminated when a driver whose claim to fame is out-qualifying Latifi, steps into an ill-fitting, unfamiliar car and markedly outperforms him. Yes, these are all elite drivers...and Hulk proves what can be done...but there is no way Rus should have been anywhere near Rus in that situation. Again, IMHO, Bot's role in that team is clear to me.

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 20:03
IMHO...Bot's colors were clearly illuminated when a driver whose claim to fame is out-qualifying Latifi, steps into an ill-fitting, unfamiliar car and markedly outperforms him. Yes, these are all elite drivers...and Hulk proves what can be done...but there is no way Rus should have been anywhere near Rus in that situation. Again, IMHO, Bot's role in that team is clear to me.
We don't really know how good or bad Latifi is though we can only compare him to Nissany, who we also don't know.

NathanOlder

Scorpaguy wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 20:03
Yeah his role in the team may well be to bring home a load of points and score the odd win here and there. He's not on Hamilton's level, but no one is claiming he is. But theres no way Bottas is anywhere near the worst driver on the grid.

Russell is certainly a talent, but remember he had 1 race on a track that was
A) new to all drivers.
B) the easiest track thats been in F1 in my lifetime.
C) driving a car thats well balenced and one of the easier cars to drive.

So all the circumstances made this race an ideal situation for Russell. Imagine if it was Monaco or Singapore!
Also remember Bottas qualified 1st, and after going longer on his first stint was catching Russell in the seconds stint and had fresher tyres. Shame Aitken lost his front wing and ruined a battle for 1st.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

Scorpaguy wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 16:09
El Scorchio wrote:
07 Feb 2021, 13:48
You think Mick Schumacher could get into the Mercedes and be Bottas’ equal?
Yes
Crazy statement which shows the skewed vision of reality on here. Bottas would make mincemeat of him.

Give it a couple of solid years for Mick and THEN there could be a conversation to be had here.

Scorpaguy

Please note I did not say Bot is the worst driver on the grid...nor do I believe he is. I would give that honor to Lat. Actually l place Bot in the midfield of the Alb's, Gas's, Ocon's, etc.

Mick, I assume will shake out in that area. However, he does seem a bit more aggressive than Bot. IMHO, given equal machinery, Mick would be the overtaker of Bot and not the reverse.

As for Sakhir, if all of the caveats are true, then Bot should have been all the more clear given his experience and familiarity...he was obviously out performed (again, IMHO).

Just_a_fan

Rumours (take it as you wish) are that Hamilton and Mercedes have agreed terms. $40m and Hamilton allowed to sell a couple of spaces on his helmet/overalls - something he was talking about at the end of last season with regards to control of image rights etc.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Phil

It's amusing to see how many are willing to draw definite conclusions on Russel vs Bottas based on 1 race. This could very well have been Russels best showing and Bottas worst. Bottas has had many races against Lewis where he has outperformed Lewis and races where he completely lost it. This doesn't mean that Russel would be any better than Bottas at challenging Hamilton on a consistent basis, race in, race out, across an entire season. Few have proven to be a match in those terms.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter