Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: Formula CFD (MVRC spin-off)

I am testing the car but downforce is not enough... any suggestion?

In the next days I will publish the boundary conditions and monitoring surfaces, so that LDVH can update the FormulaCFD template.

CAEdevice

Hi guys, finally an update!

The CAD models of the mechanical part of the car are available n STEP format. Unfortunately I haven't defined the rules yet (based on volumes in which body modeling is allowed), but I'm working on it. All the mechanical parts included into the STEP files (except the bodywork cover and the volumes that define the rules) will be included in the simulations. Theoretically it is possible to run with a naked car.

STEP CAD MODEL Rev001: https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/Formul ... Rev001.zip

The CAD geometry DOES NOT want to be rigorously detailed, but only to constitute a realistic reference for the design of the aerodynamic features.
Having chosen an "open source" approach, suggestions, criticisms and collaboration are welcome.

I also publish the images of the boundary conditions (Rev001) to allow LDVH (MantiumFlow) to set the template. Axis orientation and car speed are the same as in MVRC simulations.

Please note: the boundary conditions have been chosen to try to obtain the right compromise between realism and simplicity of management and design, they could be improved in subsequent versions (but not in the short term)
Last edited by CAEdevice on 30 Mar 2021, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

etsmc

Model looks great and love the addition of brake cooling requirements, looking forward to the rules for this as I have some ideas ;)

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 09:40
Model looks great and love the addition of brake cooling requirements, looking forward to the rules for this as I have some ideas ;)
Thanks for the feedback. I am still working on the rules!

For the moment I suggest everyone to focus on CAD software that can export a good STEP (eg FreeCAD, https://www.freecadweb.org/). The STL standard will be managed with MeshLAB (https://www.meshlab.net/). Both are opensource and available for free.

LegendaryM

I'd like to participate if there's still space, provisionally with the name Enbarr Racing.

Regarding the bodywork volumes: it's just my opinion but I think it would be more fun to have 2008 style narrow front wings. Otherwise a lot of performance comes from accurately copying a 2018 style front wing to move the front wheel wake out, and that's quite a laborious process which doesn't involve a lot of creativity.
MRVC: Tolo Racing

CAEdevice

LegendaryM wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 16:01
I'd like to participate if there's still space, provisionally with the name Enbarr Racing.

Regarding the bodywork volumes: it's just my opinion but I think it would be more fun to have 2008 style narrow front wings. Otherwise a lot of performance comes from accurately copying a 2018 style front wing to move the front wheel wake out, and that's quite a laborious process which doesn't involve a lot of creativity.
I quite agree, the wings are not definitive yet and consider that the available power will be around 200-250 hp, this may change the balance between drag and downforce.

JJR
JJR

What about absolutely free design ? Lets say fit in box 4500x1800x1000 and open cockipt + no wheel covers.

CAEdevice

JJR wrote:
31 Mar 2021, 12:52
What about absolutely free design ? Lets say fit in box 4500x1800x1000 and open cockipt + no wheel covers.
The detailed model of the frame allows to reduce the rules and, at the same time, to have realistic cars. I am not sure the design will be so free, but my plans are in that direction.

variante

It looks great!

The (amost) free regulations would be good, and would complement nicely the Mantium Challenge, which might become bound to the very strict 2022 F1 rules.

The only problem i see is that the cockpit would be meshed entirely, using a lot of computational resources for nothing.

CAEdevice

You are right Variante, it is one of the areas I am still working on.

CAEdevice

Hi, this is the STL package.

https://www.caedevice.net/SERVER/Formul ... 01_STL.zip

It is provided only for testing purposes, in order to allow LDVH to prepare Formula CFD template in MantiunFLOW.

Rules have not been released yet: if you want to test the car, you should replace "cover.stl" with your geoemtry (or simply eliminate it).