Will Covid 19 impact 2022 season?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Will Covid 19 impact 2021 season?

PlatinumZealot wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 14:00
The covid-19 virus cannot live symbiotically inside of a human.
Noone is claiming symbiosis. Covid isn't symbiotic, it's pathogenic.
If you have covid-19 you cannot live with it and it cannot live inside you for a long period of time. Either your body will kill it or it will kill you.
The common flu has a reservoir inside birds which are in regular contact with humans. It cannot live in us for long... But because the birds are right there they keep bringing it around each year.
Influenza stays in the human population by a process known as antigenic drift. This means it changes slightly - just enough to stay ahead of the immune system but not so much that it becomes a new disease.

Covid is mutating in a similar way - there are lots of strains now, with several in circulation that are of concern. If Covid continues to mutate like this, it will stay in the human population and just go round and round, just like influenza does. No need for birds or bats to keep the cycle going.

Seasonal flu is typically a combination of H1N1 and H3N2. H1N1 has been causing human deaths for at least 100 years being the cause of the 1918 pandemic. H3N2 caused the 1960s "Hong Kong flu" that killed over a million people.

Covid isn't influenza - they're not remotely related - but it is an example of how a virus can stay in the population at a much lower fatality rate. There are 4 corona viruses that cause some human common colds. They moved in to humans from other species. They don't need those other species to stay in the human population. They remain with us by antigenic drift. That's why you get the common cold year after year after year.

To think Covid will suddenly disappear is very hopeful but perhaps misguided.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Scorpaguy

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 14:30

Covid isn't influenza - they're not remotely related -

...interesting stuff. Covid, being a corona virus is more closely related to several virus strains which cause the common cold. For generations mankind has lamented the lack of cure for the "common cold", which is with us year round (sound familiar) but luckily quite mild in severity. Other viruses can cause the "common cold" as well, but the scientific community has oft stated that besides the lack of need for a "common cold" vaccine, such a vaccine would be impractical, nigh impossible, due to the number of corona type variants that cause the malady as well as its tendency to rapidly mutate.

Given the traits of this family, it makes me ponder the complaints from some of the "lab coats" that the vaccination strategy for covid is an approach that could lead to disappointment and that a rapid/vigorous isolation of breakouts would be a more permanent measure (coupled with better treatment methods). One thing the lab coats seem to agree on, expecting the current covid vaccine to be smallpox-esc in regards to efficacy and permanency is unrealistic. Unfortunately, it is quite possible we are looking at decades of new vaccine development (along with evolving herd immunities) and creating new paradigms for treatment. Our world could be forever changed.

Just_a_fan

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 16:29
Just_a_fan wrote:

...interesting stuff. Covid, being a corona virus is more closely related to several virus strains which cause the common cold. For generations mankind has lamented the lack of cure for the "common cold", which is with us year round (sound familiar) but luckily quite mild in severity. Other viruses can cause the "common cold" as well, but the scientific community has oft stated that besides the lack of need for a "common cold" vaccine, such a vaccine would be impractical, nigh impossible, due to the number of corona type variants that cause the malady as well as its tendency to rapidly mutate.
Corona viruses cause a small part of the common cold illness (c.15%), with the majority of cold causing bugs being rhinoviruses. Realistically, a "cold" will be an infection of several viruses at once which is why a vaccine for "the cold" is unlikely/unreasonable to expect. It's also why a "cold" can be anything from a bit of runny nose all the way to three or four days in bed feeling like you've been beaten up.

Big Tea

Scorpaguy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Given the traits of this family, it makes me ponder the complaints from some of the "lab coats" that the vaccination strategy for covid is an approach that could lead to disappointment and that a rapid/vigorous isolation of breakouts would be a more permanent measure (coupled with better treatment methods). One thing the lab coats seem to agree on, expecting the current covid vaccine to be smallpox-esc in regards to efficacy and permanency is unrealistic. Unfortunately, it is quite possible we are looking at decades of new vaccine development (along with evolving herd immunities) and creating new paradigms for treatment. Our world could be forever changed.
I tend to think that in the eyes of many the use of a vaccine is to keep the numbers of those hospitalised and in particular needing intensive care and mechanical assistance to a level where there is some capacity
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Scorpaguy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I don't know where you get your information, but the common cold is a rhinovirus and not a coronavirus, although they look quite similar, they are not.

Scorpaguy

Jolle wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 16:55
I don't know where you get your information, but the common cold is a rhinovirus and not a coronavirus, although they look quite similar, they are not.

Jolle

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 22:14
Jolle wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 16:55
In the first bit:
Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold.

As in, the common coronavirus has similar symptoms as the common cold, like COVID-19 has similar symptoms as the flu.

From the cdc as-well:

Many different respiratory viruses can cause the common cold, but rhinoviruses are the most common. Rhinoviruses can also trigger asthma attacks and have been linked to sinus and ear infections.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/rhinoviruses/index.html

adrianjordan

Big Tea wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 16:49
Scorpaguy wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

I tend to think that in the eyes of many the use of a vaccine is to keep the numbers of those hospitalised and in particular needing intensive care and mechanical assistance to a level where there is some capacity
Anecdotally from talking to patients, there is still a misconception that the vaccines will get rid of Covid.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

henry

I wonder if what’s happening in Australia and New Zealand right now gives an indication of how life will be in well regulated societies in the future and how it will interact with sporting events?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

nzjrs

henry wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 10:37
I wonder if what’s happening in Australia and New Zealand right now gives an indication of how life will be in well regulated societies in the future and how it will interact with sporting events?
From the perspective of getting back to normal (international travel, free movement of people) I think NZ has painted itself into a bit of a corner. Covid zero doesn't leave much room for deviation from that magic number. Comparatively the Australian psyche is better prepared for reopening IMO.

For reference, I've also been trying to get a flight and a quarantine hotel spot so I can fly to NZ for the last 6 months.....

JordanMugen

nzjrs wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 12:29
Comparatively the Australian psyche is better prepared for reopening IMO.
I don't see a big difference, Australia is also going for zero COVID cases. The ~20 recent cases in Victoria are being addressed with a state-wide "hard" lockdown for at least 5 days and possibly more. At this level, it is possible to trace and isolate every single person with COVID.

It is exactly this diligent approach that has allowed for pubs and restaurants to be open without masks the rest of the time.

PlatinumZealot

Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
The covid-19 virus cannot live symbiotically inside of a human.
Noone is claiming symbiosis. Covid isn't symbiotic, it's pathogenic.
If you have covid-19 you cannot live with it and it cannot live inside you for a long period of time. Either your body will kill it or it will kill you.
The common flu has a reservoir inside birds which are in regular contact with humans. It cannot live in us for long... But because the birds are right there they keep bringing it around each year.
Influenza stays in the human population by a process known as antigenic drift. This means it changes slightly - just enough to stay ahead of the immune system but not so much that it becomes a new disease.

Covid is mutating in a similar way - there are lots of strains now, with several in circulation that are of concern. If Covid continues to mutate like this, it will stay in the human population and just go round and round, just like influenza does. No need for birds or bats to keep the cycle going.

Seasonal flu is typically a combination of H1N1 and H3N2. H1N1 has been causing human deaths for at least 100 years being the cause of the 1918 pandemic. H3N2 caused the 1960s "Hong Kong flu" that killed over a million people.

Covid isn't influenza - they're not remotely related - but it is an example of how a virus can stay in the population at a much lower fatality rate. There are 4 corona viruses that cause some human common colds. They moved in to humans from other species. They don't need those other species to stay in the human population. They remain with us by antigenic drift. That's why you get the common cold year after year after year.

Again, the human body is not a reservoir for the virus and zootonic reservoirs are not commonly near us or large enough to keep feeding it back into the population like the seasonal Flu. If this happens it will pose a worse problem. So we are fortunate in that case. It is not my opinion so I don't understand why do you disagree with that fact? It is being transmitted human to human now but that is much easier to control. Compare among the different countries the different measures and results.

Covid-19 can suddenly disappear, beleive it or not. This is also another fact.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

nzjrs

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 14:28
nzjrs wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 12:29
Comparatively the Australian psyche is better prepared for reopening IMO.
I don't see a big difference, Australia is also going for zero COVID cases. The ~20 recent cases in Victoria are being addressed with a state-wide "hard" lockdown for at least 5 days and possibly more. At this level, it is possible to trace and isolate every single person with COVID.
I'm very careful to not speak about the actual policy approach but to describe what and how NZers and Aus people with whom I speak, react to the question "what is an acceptable number of cases in the country to allow free international movement of people (closing quarentine hotels for example)". IMO there is a difference in the reaction and answer of people from those two countries and there to me seems to be different government messaging preparing the population for that number being inevitably greater than zero.

Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 14:30
Just_a_fan wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Again, the human body is not a reservoir for the virus and zootonic reservoirs are not commonly near us or large enough to keep feeding it back into the population like the seasonal Flu. If this happens it will pose a worse problem. So we are fortunate in that case. It is not my opinion so I don't understand why do you disagree with that fact? It is being transmitted human to human now but that is much easier to control. Compare among the different countries the different measures and results.

If it is not your opinion and is a "fact", perhaps you could reference some sources to show why Covid is different.

Antigenic drift in viruses is well known and results in viruses staying in the hunan population - the reservoir you claim doesn't exist.

As pointed out, other zoonotic corona viruses (all human corona viruses are zoonotic, remember) are still in the human population many years after they first infected humans. Why is Covid different to those?

adrianjordan

Just_a_fan wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 17:07
PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Feb 2021, 14:30
Just_a_fan wrote:

If it is not your opinion and is a "fact", perhaps you could reference some sources to show why Covid is different.

Antigenic drift in viruses is well known and results in viruses staying in the hunan population - the reservoir you claim doesn't exist.

As pointed out, other zoonotic corona viruses (all human corona viruses are zoonotic, remember) are still in the human population many years after they first infected humans. Why is Covid different to those?
This!!

Sorry PZ, but what you say is completely at odds with what I was taught in university about viruses and how they survive in the human population.

Covid-19 is here to stay. Even if a mutation develops that renders that strain less transmissible, the more dominant strain will take over.

We will learn to live with it and develop more treatments for it, but it will be with us for a long, long time.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️