Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
maguetox

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15501 ... eparations

Like past years where they were having issues with their engine.

PlatinumZealot

These teams never give any meaty information. Sigh.

It's like the videos are made for shareholders or filthy casuals.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Just_a_fan

Re: dyno use restrictions, can't the customer teams use dyno time or is it only the manufacturer that is allowed a dyno? Surely if the customers can run PUs on dynos, problems can be dealt with just as easily as before.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 18:38
Re: dyno use restrictions, can't the customer teams use dyno time or is it only the manufacturer that is allowed a dyno? Surely if the customers can run PUs on dynos, problems can be dealt with just as easily as before.
I doubt customers dyno the engines. They can't even build/start the car without engineers from the supplier.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 20:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
I doubt customers dyno the engines. They can't even build/start the car without engineers from the supplier.
I'm sure you're correct in that.

It was more an idea for how the rules might be circumvented to give more dyno hours. Install a dyno, second some engineers to the customer team, do some dyno stuff. I have no idea if it is practical or legal, that was why I was posing the idea.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Thunder

Not Engine Dyno specifically but apparently McLaren shipped their Car to AVL for Dyno testing (Full Chassis Dyno?). Better than nothing for Merc i guess.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 20:08
Zynerji wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 20:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
I'm sure you're correct in that.

It was more an idea for how the rules might be circumvented to give more dyno hours. Install a dyno, second some engineers to the customer team, do some dyno stuff. I have no idea if it is practical or legal, that was why I was posing the idea.
Maybe. It depends on if the wording restricts "teams" or "suppliers".

63l8qrrfy6

Thunder wrote:
15 Feb 2021, 20:30
Not Engine Dyno specifically but apparently McLaren shipped their Car to AVL for Dyno testing (Full Chassis Dyno?). Better than nothing for Merc i guess.
Yes, they have been testing in Graz for the last couple weeks.

_cerber1

300 km for PU Mercedes before the tests

PlatinumZealot

I suppose they must have Mercedes engineers in attendance for these tests. Becuase hey, they are only ones with the computers to start the things.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Skippon

Be it McLaren, Williams or Aston Martin only Mercedes HPP engineers manage the power unit.

Big Tea

Skippon wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 23:06
Be it McLaren, Williams or Aston Martin only Mercedes HPP engineers manage the power unit.
How does that work under the cost cap then? are they considered Merc employees or employees of the team?
Must be an awkward one to sort out
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

saviour stivala

''How does it work... Must be an awkward one'' It has been part of the customer engine supply from well before the advent of the present power unit. I remember an engine supplier personal assigned to one team ordered not to fire-up a particular customer team engine/s because of unpaid instalments to the engine supplier before practice started at Silverstone. Also remember mercedes engine raced by mclaren having to be returned to supplier after each race and being delivered back at each race before practice.

63l8qrrfy6

HPP engineers working at McL now appear to be wearing customer team wear.
5th guy left to right is Lewis's ex PU engineer who was replaced by Magda. I think he's now the HPP engineer in charge of McL PUs.

Thunder

Mudflap wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:27
HPP engineers working at McL now appear to be wearing customer team wear.
5th guy left to right is Lewis's ex PU engineer who was replaced by Magda. I think he's now the HPP engineer in charge of McL PUs.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuXsF0qXUAM ... name=large
The Mercedes Engineers are the ones with the Meredes Logo on their Outfits. Right shoulder above the Dell Logo.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum