McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mwillems

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Is the wheelbase longer?

I can't say I can see it, but if they have managed to lengthen it due to the engine installation I'd be pleased.

The car looks fast, at first glance. Its is slimmer with the opportunity for a better airflow over the car and to the diffuser.

The money is in how tightly sealed that floor can be and what the Y250 and bargeboards can do. I'd expect that to be the area of focus all season long.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

f1rules

ssshhhh, why do you think theyre trying to hide :-) ...... yeah just a placeholder or 3d renderings

F1NAC wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 09:19
Revolutionary diffuser without strakes!

:lol:

Blackout

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 06:17
McFAN wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 01:02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwo-bRyTPZc

Reaction by Marc Priestley.
Wow, the car slims down fast after the roll hoop! How did they do that!? =D>
>Either by:
-digging the tub sides further to push the coolers further inboard*
(modified Piola and Scarbs drawings)
-or by buying/copying the Merc water-air intercooler like Platinum suggested (it doenst belong to the listed parts anymore AFAIK)
-by having Merc exhasut and merc-style bellhousing viewtopic.php?p=952314#p952314
-or by having lower cooling needs

>or all the aforemontionned factors put together

*but that should lengthen the tub, and the car... like a Mercedes... is this car longer?

zibby43

via @ScarbsTech:

"Macs enlarged centre cooling package, includes a sizable heat exchanger behind the engine. The sidepod's are physically slimmer, but also appear much slimmer due to change a profile, as they more jellymould shaped and less undercut"

ThePapayaJaguar

Can the team collect any data from the filming runs today at Silverstone? It is certainly great that the team got the car ready as soon as possible to give them about a month to try to fix issues that may arise.

_cerber1

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:34
Can the team collect any data from the filming runs today at Silverstone?
There is a limit on tires and mileage of 100 km, but I do not remember that it was forbidden to work with everything else.

f1rules

comparing this pic from amus,i added a few guidelines, and i know angles play a big role etc. but if we take the crash structure width as the determing factor, due to regulation, it does look like the undercut is more pronounced and that maybe even the sidepod shoulders are a bit narrower compared to last year

Just_a_fan

ThePapayaJaguar wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:34
Can the team collect any data from the filming runs today at Silverstone? It is certainly great that the team got the car ready as soon as possible to give them about a month to try to fix issues that may arise.
They'll certainly have all of the in car sensors switched on and will see the loads through the suspension etc. There's not much they can do really as they're tyre and mileage limited. But a run up a straight at a few chosen speeds will at least let them see if the aero loads are as expected.

Weather today is a bit patchy and Silverstone is likely to be wet so that will also limit them to some degree.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Blackout

zibby43 wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 10:25
via @ScarbsTech:

"Macs enlarged centre cooling package, includes a sizable heat exchanger behind the engine. The sidepod's are physically slimmer, but also appear much slimmer due to change a profile, as they more jellymould shaped and less undercut"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuVXAV0XYAA ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuVXAndXUAM ... ame=medium
Is it really larger than thir previous CCS?
https://i.imgur.com/omUdzKi.jpg

Lucky

Herr_Koos

She ruuuuuuuns! =D>

charliesmithhd

f1rules

That undercut and how much floor is visible really is amazing, and at the same time they manage to start the sidepod ramp very early, they then keep the centerline chubbier, for the pu to be able to breath,
you can se, by the sidepod design, just how much they want to direct the flow outwards towards the diffuser edges to help seal

edit,
seing the wet weather pics last year, and the flows im quessing something like this, and that the coanda helps pull the flow down towards the diff outer edges

or like this, which was more like last years flow, but then again, the flow was not aided so directly by the sidepod design like it is this year, so im not sure

Quess looking at the merc from last year and with similar sidepod style, most the flow connects with the floor flow and aids the diffuser, so more like the sec. picture
Last edited by f1rules on 16 Feb 2021, 13:19, edited 5 times in total.

_cerber1

Just_a_fan

Like I said to a previous post, it's a bit wet at Silverstone today. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.