Alpha Tauri AT02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Alpha Tauri AT02

Last edited by Morteza on 19 Feb 2021, 12:22, edited 5 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

basti313 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:03
Yes. That is last year's car with ugly green paint on it and some changes in the bargeboard area to show the new sponsor surfaces. Very hard to run a technical discussion on this. Maybe on the nose...it looks a bit thinned at the Pirelli logo, so maybe this is where the token was spend to bring more air to the floor.

What you can see in this and other launches is, that they now overdo it with the bargeboard area. In 2009 the ugly wings were removed for dirty air reduction....now we have more small wings on the bargeboard than on a complete 2008 car.
Am I colourblind?? Where do you see green?

Wouter

Tost doesn't believe his engineers: 'Say the car is faster than last year'

"I personally really like the new livery and these colours. I hope the fans will agree that we have the best car on the grid. A nice car usually also performs well. The front of the car has been changed and the front wing is completely new. We also have new bargeboards, a new floor, new diffuser and a new rear wing," Tost said in an interview for Red Bull.

"It is now difficult to estimate how good the car really is. The engineers tell me that the car is faster than last year, but I don't believe that. I want to see it on the track. There the lap times tell me how it is."
The Power of Dreams!

the EDGE

Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 10:30
Honda explains key changes to 2021 F1 engine
By: Jonathan Noble
Feb 19, 2021, 9:12 AM

"This is our third year with Scuderia AlphaTauri and in order to improve as a whole, we have also improved the installation and packaging of the entire PU."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... n=widget-1
Isn’t this the 2nd year with Alpha Tauri & the 4th with the team?

Wouter

the EDGE wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:31
Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 10:30
Honda explains key changes to 2021 F1 engine
By: Jonathan Noble
Feb 19, 2021, 9:12 AM

"This is our third year with Scuderia AlphaTauri and in order to improve as a whole, we have also improved the installation and packaging of the entire PU."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... n=widget-1
Isn’t this the 2nd year with Alpha Tauri & the 4th with the team?
Yes, it is.
The Power of Dreams!

FittingMechanics

Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:21

"I personally really like the new livery and these colours. I hope the fans will agree that we have the best car on the grid. A nice car usually also performs well. The front of the car has been changed and the front wing is completely new. We also have new bargeboards, a new floor, new diffuser and a new rear wing," Tost said in an interview for Red Bull.

"It is now difficult to estimate how good the car really is. The engineers tell me that the car is faster than last year, but I don't believe that. I want to see it on the track. There the lap times tell me how it is."
Interesting. Key from McLaren said they are slightly off on downforce, but he didn't take into account different tyres/engine. If AT feels they've got a faster car than last year, they have bigger changes than it appears. Maybe Honda has a decent performance increase?

jjn9128

Interesting solution to the new floor edge.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

f1rules

from their tech dir.

“How fast will our car be? It’s not something I would want to put an exact number to just yet. Overall, taking everything into account, I would say we will probably see a performance level similar to that seen mid-2020.”

will be difficult to judge, each team will say whatever fits their agenda, most will downplay and still be close to last year i reckon

FittingMechanics wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 12:08
Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:21

Interesting. Key from McLaren said they are slightly off on downforce, but he didn't take into account different tyres/engine. If AT feels they've got a faster car than last year, they have bigger changes than it appears. Maybe Honda has a decent performance increase?

JordanMugen

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 12:11
Is the goal of the notch similar to the ideology of this McLaren, or entirely different?

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

nzjrs

basti313 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 11:03
Yes. That is last year's car with ugly green paint on it
GREEN!!???!!!??

Do I need to see a doctor?

Coefficient

This reminds me of the Tyrell 019.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

jjn9128

JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:00
jjn9128 wrote:
Is the goal of the notch similar to the ideology of this McLaren, or entirely different?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/30/df/79/30df ... e042bf.jpg
I think different. Seems like a sharp discontinuity at the end of the floor scroll to encourage the outwash - there's a vane on the top there too. Not sure how they got the secondary scroll at the rear... I thought the floor had to be a single part when bisected by any plane?!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:34
JordanMugen wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 13:00
jjn9128 wrote:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/30/df/79/30df ... e042bf.jpg
I think different. Seems like a sharp discontinuity at the end of the floor scroll to encourage the outwash - there's a vane on the top there too. Not sure how they got the secondary scroll at the rear... I thought the floor had to be a single part when bisected by any plane?!
Do you know if the rules would allow the edge of the floor to be formed as a saw-tooth type edge? It would be a single part, no holes etc. But might allow the formation of a vortex along the edge to replicate the "sealing" that the slots used to do.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.