Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mzso

Re: Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

Mudflap wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 15:18
Even if they can get Cowell he would most likely not be allowed to start at RBR before the engine freeze.
I don't think that's true. He left around a year ago.
Mudflap wrote:
Secondly I think he's made it quite clear he is no longer interested in F1.
A big pile of money and a limited term could quickly turn a person.
Mudflap wrote:
And finally just employing him does not guarantee you'll have the best engine just like employing Newey does not guarantee you're getting the best car.
No, but for this year Honda's there full force, as well as RB having resources freed up with the budget cap.
He mainly needs to tell what ideas they missed and to which aspect of the design they can find performance. And if Honda has some advantageous features not present in the Mercedes PU, it's possible they end up in front of them.

63l8qrrfy6

mzso wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 16:46
Mudflap wrote:
Even if they can get Cowell he would most likely not be allowed to start at RBR before the engine freeze.
I don't think that's true. He left around a year ago.
His last day in the office was in January. He announced he was leaving about half a year ago.
In F1 even junior engineers have gardening leave periods of 1 year if they are going to competitors.

Zynerji

Key moved quickly, no?

etusch

I can be wrong about this but there is a different way of engineering between western or european and easterns. I think, for Honda engine Redbull needs to hire eastern experianced stuffs as bigger part of engine team and especially head of the department.

Craigy

Zynerji wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 20:00
Key moved quickly, no?
I recall there being quite a fight over his start date actually.

Zynerji

Craigy wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 17:53
Zynerji wrote:
Key moved quickly, no?
Relatively, but it wasn't a full-year gardening leave tho...

Wouter

Zynerji wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 17:58
Craigy wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 17:53
Zynerji wrote:
Key moved quickly, no?
Relatively, but it wasn't a full-year gardening leave tho...
On 26 July 2018, McLaren confirmed that Key had agreed to become technical director of the team.
One month later, at the beginning of September he was not seen with Toro Rosso again. Helmut Marko was mad because Key didn't say he was leaving. Marko heard it from McLaren and not from Key himself.
Key joined McLaren from 25 March 2019, just after the Australian Grand Prix.

Edit:

A statement said:
"McLaren Racing and Scuderia Toro Rosso confirm they have reached an agreement to settle the position of Mr James Key, who will be released by Scuderia Toro Rosso prior to the end of his existing contract arrangement on 23 March 2019.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Honda explains key changes to 2021 F1 engine

Having fast-tracked a power unit that had originally been down for introduction in 2022, Honda says that early indications from its dyno testing in Japan are encouraging.

Honda's F1 technical director Toyoharu Tanabe says the company feels 'well prepared' after its winter work.

"On the dyno the numbers we have seen match what we expected," he explained as AlphaTauri revealed its 2021 challenger. "Let's see how competitive we can be on track in the actual races."

Tanabe said that some areas of the power unit had been the focus of bigger changes, as Honda looked to make gains compared to the opposition.

"It is difficult to be specific about which parts have seen the most work, but in order to improve power and reliability, we have made modifications to the ICE, turbine and ERS," he explained.

"This is our third year with Scuderia AlphaTauri and in order to improve as a whole, we have also improved the installation and packaging of the entire PU."
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hond ... =widget-22

godlameroso

They spent a good chunk of time on the combustion engine. The cylinder walls, rings, pistons, cylinder head all have been revised, all the cooling jackets, oil passages have been revised, so on and so forth to take full advantage of the materials they're now using. The cooling system has also been revised to take advantage.

Like becoming fit, Honda didn't skip leg day.
Saishū kōnā

SmallSoldier

godlameroso wrote:They spent a good chunk of time on the combustion engine. The cylinder walls, rings, pistons, cylinder head all have been revised, all the cooling jackets, oil passages have been revised, so on and so forth to take full advantage of the materials they're now using. The cooling system has also been revised to take advantage.

Like becoming fit, Honda didn't skip leg day.
Source for all of the above?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

godlameroso

A little 🐦.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

etusch wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 16:18
I can be wrong about this but there is a different way of engineering between western or european and easterns. I think, for Honda engine Redbull needs to hire eastern experianced stuffs as bigger part of engine team and especially head of the department.
You are right. Accoring to Horner a team of Honda people will be there in 2022 and maybe there for the long term.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Bill

Redbull didn't make billion investment needed to build an f1 pu .it will still be a Honda product branded Rbr .i dont get the media how write honda wil be leaving in 2021 and Rbr wil be on par with merc and ferrari as a pu builder is bullshit

ryaan2904

Bill wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 11:11
Redbull didn't make billion investment needed to build an f1 pu .it will still be a Honda product branded Rbr .i dont get the media how write honda wil be leaving in 2021 and Rbr wil be on par with merc and ferrari as a pu builder is bullshit
They will be at par because Merc and Ferrari wont be developing their engines from 2022
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

Well not exactly equal, but enough i guess
CFD Eyes of Sauron