Intake Valve and Feliks' ideas

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Feliks

Re: Intake Valve and Feliks' ideas

Well, such questions arose, so I answer ..
Questions.
1. Why is an electric transmission from your crazy oscillating engine, an associated generator and the electric traction motors more efficient for a steam locomotive than direct mechanical traditional dual acting steam pistons or a steam turbine?
2. Why is the on board steam generation with whatever fuel is being burned to heat the water in the boiler more efficient than a large scale power station and transmission via catenary or third rail?
3. What fuel does your locomotive use?
4. Why not use your engine to power the wheels directly?
5. Did you know that steam turbine-electric locomotives have been tried before?

Ad.1. Here you are right that you call it crazy oscillating ... Because as you can see the madness comes from it, it is 20 times lighter than a traditional engine, for the same displacement .. And it results from mathematics and is indisputable .. Or maybe even be 50 times lighter, because thanks to the reduced weight, we can get much more revolutions and thus obtain more power, but if we still need the same power as the traditional one, we can reduce the stroke volume, and the engine will be lighter than 50 times .. And that's how you well-called the crazy property .. Here are some drawings to help you understand it. And the fact that the "cylinder" is lifetime, this also matters and can only be machined with an accuracy of 0.5 mm. The "piston" does not rub against the cylinder, and the method of transferring the operating gas force is much more efficient, because there is no traditional cross-section where some 20% of energy is lost.

https://www.new4stroke.com/drezyna.mp4

It is a pity that Newcomen did not come up with this solution for a long time, but it was very close .. :lol:

Here's a story, like this idea, of it
engine was established.

http://www.new4stroke.com/images/Possib ... 0pivot.htm

Ad 2. Because simply by transmitting electricity to further distances, we have 30% losses on network resistance and transformers .. When you add the costs of building and maintaining such a network, we can add 20% ... so we have 50% savings ..

Ad 3. Any, such as we have at hand and is the cheapest for us .. From wood, through coal, oil, gas ..

Ad 4. I have previously published such solutions .. You can choose what seems more beneficial to us..

Ad 5 . Yes, but they did not catch on, the steam turbine has its drawbacks to such a solution .. especially it is not so efficient at low revs .., it cannot be used for driving backwards, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_turbine_locomotive

Andrew :D

Feliks

Feliks

Well, now, since we do not really believe in the old rules of the heat engine * because as it turns out, the "cold engine" also exists, I will try to explain why such unique advantages of my new 4 stroke come from ..
Well, in a traditional engine, the speed of fuel combustion reaches a speed of about 30 m / sec. mIt is not that much and the duration of this combustion causes a heat transfer to the walls of the cylinder, the piston bottom and valves ... because it's time ... I in my engine, by accident (I could not get the ignition spark, because the speed was too high in " chamber "caused that the air ionization, which is necessary for the formation of the ignition spark, could not take place, because it was blown away by a large mechanically forced speed between the electrodes of the spark plug. I even got one blue smoke that would testify to burning .. If not for my first prototype, which ignited perfectly in the first revolutions, I would probably give up further work on this engine .. 1 4 days is a really long period of testing .. But I started to have fun , search the biblotehs about the mechanism of spark formation, and I found the reason .. Transfer I used the speed that could have been in the channel where the spark plug was contacting, and it turned out that even at relatively low revs that are needed to start, the speed in the spark plug channel was around 300 meters / sec, i.e. Mach 1.
If, instead of the spark plug, there was a diesel injector, the engine would probably ignite immediately and its speed as a diesel engine could be as high as around 10,000 rpm. because the speed of 300 mtr / sec is 10 times higher than the combustion speed in a normal engine .. But I had a gasoline version, I had to disassemble the engine and dig this channel in the head, and maybe the speed in it was as high as 100 m / sec, which allowed ignition spark and normal engine work .. But still 100 m / sec and 30 m / sec, it is 3 times higher combustion speed, due to these mechanical forces .. And this 3 times higher combustion speed in real terms, it can actually affect the thermal efficiency engine, and much more than you might expect .. Therefore, the current considerations on the thermodynamics of the engine are largely outdated in relation to my new4stroke .. which additionally has a unique small combustion chamber below the smallest piston .. where practically only combustion takes place in a vortex of enormous velocity forced by its small cylinder

, additionally. here are two videos, one about the experiment of flame spreading in a pipe filled with a stoichiometric mixture with fuel,

and the other about the flame's front face, which we can easily see. If the flame was moving 10 times faster, as is possible for me, it would not be so easy to observe ...

That's it for this Christmas this year ..

gruntguru

Feliks wrote:
27 Dec 2020, 01:53
Well, now, since we do not really believe in the old rules of the heat engine * because as it turns out, the "cold engine" also exists, I will try to explain why such unique advantages of my new 4 stroke come from ..
The "cold engine" is a form of heat engine which obeys the (old) rules for heat engines and is well understood in the field of thermodynamics. Briefly:

A "heat engine" is an engine which can produce mechanical energy by converting a portion of the heat energy flowing from a high temperature source to a low temperature sink.

In other words a heat engine can operate between a source and sink regardless of their temperatures - as long as the source is hotter than the sink.
je suis charlie

Feliks

Well, finally, a movie that shows that there is a cold-driven engine. this refutes a bit the current theory of heat engines, it also extends it to "cold" engines. So the Lord Kelvin's laws only work in a narrow range of reality .. Here, shown how a tightly corked plastic bottle changes the volume of soybeans as a result of pouring cold water on it .. So there is a vacuum inside it. This negative pressure can be introduced into the engine under a vacuum, such as in aviation pneumatic applications powered by negative pressure from the Veturi nozzle during the flight. and it is imaginative that, however, we can make such an engine, using a few bottles and valves, which all the time, when the cold comes to them, will give them a vacuum and the engine will rotate all the time. Here is a movie and the principles of operation of the engine on negative pressure. Well, maybe the global warming will not threaten us.

Just_a_fan

Your "cold engine" is just air obeying Charles's Law - for a fixed mass of gas at constant pressure, volume is proportional to temperature.

Your bottle is just behaving as a part of the atmospheric engines built by Thomas Newcomen in 1712. In that engine, the piston is pushed by steam, the cylinder is then cooled by the injection of water, the piston then returns in to the cylinder by virtue of atmospheric pressure on the top of the piston and low pressure within the cylinder. You have just replicated the bit where the cylinder is cooled.

You can't use that as a "cold engine" unless you have additional heat to expand the air in the cylinder/bottle again.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Feliks

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:13
Your "cold engine" is just air obeying Charles's Law - for a fixed mass of gas at constant pressure, volume is proportional to temperature.

Your bottle is just behaving as a part of the atmospheric engines built by Thomas Newcomen in 1712. In that engine, the piston is pushed by steam, the cylinder is then cooled by the injection of water, the piston then returns in to the cylinder by virtue of atmospheric pressure on the top of the piston and low pressure within the cylinder. You have just replicated the bit where the cylinder is cooled.

You can't use that as a "cold engine" unless you have additional heat to expand the air in the cylinder/bottle again.
Well, I understand that this is a new look at the engines, and your way of thinking requires you to get used to them .. :D Newcomen engine was always classified as a hot engine .. and in the cylinder the vacuum was caused by the condensation of water vapor by cold water, which made it a volume 1600 times about .. and only then did the vacuum arise. In my case, the vacuum is created directly after the gas cools down .. so it is fully "cold engine". Well, if you think where the "heat" in the bottle came from, you will know where you can take it. :D Everything is relative, as Eistein used to say. :roll:
Anyway, the "advocates" of climate warming have a new theoretical problem ..

gruntguru

Not really "new".
I first heard of the "cold engine" concept about 45 years ago. It is just another heat engine with the heat "source" being the environment at say 30*C and heat transferring to a cold "sink" at say 0*C.
https://www.makai.com/ocean-thermal-energy-conversion/
je suis charlie

Just_a_fan

Feliks wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 23:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 12:13

Well, I understand that this is a new look at the engines, and your way of thinking requires you to get used to them .. :D Newcomen engine was always classified as a hot engine .. and in the cylinder the vacuum was caused by the condensation of water vapor by cold water, which made it a volume 1600 times about .. and only then did the vacuum arise. In my case, the vacuum is created directly after the gas cools down .. so it is fully "cold engine". Well, if you think where the "heat" in the bottle came from, you will know where you can take it. :D Everything is relative, as Eistein used to say. :roll:
Anyway, the "advocates" of climate warming have a new theoretical problem ..

No. Your bottle is exactly the same as the Newcomen atmospheric engine. Your bottle starts with air at ambient temperature and pressure. You close the top sealing the internal environment. You then run cold water over the bottle. The cold water cools the air inside the bottle. Charles's Law then applies and the volume of the air reduces proportionally with the reduction in temperature. This causes results in the internal pressure reducing. As it does so, the external air pressure presses the bottle inwards in order to maintain the pressure across the bottle's walls. This is the bottle compressing. You then open the lid of the bottle and the external and internal environments match and the bottle returns to its original shape. The only stored energy in the system is the small amount of energy stored by the material of the bottle exhibiting an elastic deformation. Make the temperature difference large enough and the bottle will not return to its original shape because its distortion will have taken it passed the material's elastic limit.

ΔV=V0*β*(T1−T0) where β is the coefficient of thermal expansion for air = 0.0034/K for dry air (which yours isn't), taking original volume, V0, to be 100 units
ΔV = 100*0.0034*(293-283) [assuming 20degC air, 10degC water]
ΔV = 3.4
So approximately a 3-4% reduction in volume. Your experiment shows a contraction of the bottle of that order ignoring the thermal contraction of the plastic material itself).

If you did this same experiment with water that is at exactly the same temperature as the air, you would find that the bottle does not change its shape/volume because the air inside would not change its volume because its temperature would be constant.

This is all stuff that is taught and understood in schools at the age of 12 years old or so. There is no magic "cold engine" bullet here.

By the way, in the Newcomen engine, there is no vacuum. There is a reduction in pressure proportional to the reduction in temperature (Charles's Law again). The reduction in pressure means that atmospheric pressure above the piston exceeds the pressure within the cylinder and the piston moves to equalise the pressure across it. With the Newcomen engine using steam to heat the cylinder and cold water to cool it, the change in pressure and hence the available volume change would be much greater than your bottle experiment. But it's the same process at work.

One last note: there is no such thing as "cold". "Cold" is just a relatively lower temperature. That is to say, cold isn't a thing inherent of itself, it's the relative lack of a thing - in this case heat. A "cold" thing just has less heat, and hence a lower temperature, than the same thing when it is "hot".

Just_a_fan

It's worth reminding you that the Newcomen engine is strictly an atmospheric engine, not a steam engine. This is because the work is done by atmospheric pressure not steam pressure. Just as your bottle is moved inwards by atmospheric pressure.

gruntguru

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 00:09
One last note: there is no such thing as "cold". "Cold" is just a relatively lower temperature. That is to say, cold isn't a thing inherent of itself, it's the relative lack of a thing - in this case heat. A "cold" thing just has less heat, and hence a lower temperature, than the same thing when it is "hot".
Yes. A "cold" engine is just a "heat" engine where heat flows from a cool source to an even-cooler sink. It is still "heat" that is providing the energy.
je suis charlie

Just_a_fan

gruntguru wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 03:20
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Feb 2021, 00:09
Yes. A "cold" engine is just a "heat" engine where heat flows from a cool source to an even-cooler sink. It is still "heat" that is providing the energy.
Exactly.

Feliks

Well, I see that many "green" professors, as usual, were found .. but green because of a poor understanding of physics and sitting stubbornly in its archaic "box". The Newcomen engine consists in converting the steam that must be produced earlier, with the help of heat, and much more, into water. Only then the steam in the cylinder is CONDENSED with the use of cold water, which causes its volume to change to a large extent, and thus it will under pressure in this cylinder.
Regarding my engine, I would agree more that it is a Stirling engine, but "cold" ...

Your diligent student, Andrew .. :D :D

My band "Skadowie" -- "Harmony of the World"

Feliks

And I have to help again! In order to free the ship in the Suez Canal, it is necessary to place special airbags at the front under its hull, used by rescuers during construction accidents and fill them with air. They will raise them, but maybe they will allow them to run off into the water.
https://www.savatech.com/products/lifti ... 5-psi.html

Feliks

Well today I published my article about the basics of my new4stroke engine as a preprint, but on the very important site SAE.org
Here what is this SAE for the automotive and aviation industries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International

The article can be downloaded and commented on. This is my first step on this platform ..
To understand this engine, you need to slowly learn it from scratch .. to be able to design its wonderful properties ..

https://mobilityrxiv.sae.org/