General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Dee
Dee

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

etusch wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 14:21
They are saying in that article that they get what they expected at dyno. I hope their expectation is at least +10/15 hp more than last years mercedes engine performance. :D
Rumours are of 40HP increase for Honda this year, they were approx 20HP behind Mercedes last year. Mercedes will increase by another 25HP if what they say is true so depending on accuracy there may be 5HP approx between them which isn't much at all

Wouter

Dee wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 14:34
etusch wrote:
They are saying in that article that they get what they expected at dyno. I hope their expectation is at least +10/15 hp more than last years mercedes engine performance. :D
Rumours are of 40HP increase for Honda this year, they were approx 20HP behind Mercedes last year. Mercedes will increase by another 25HP if what they say is true so depending on accuracy there may be 5HP approx between them which isn't much at all
First off, I think those 40 HP are a bit on the low end. By the way, it's not all about the HPs, because I am convinced that Honda will certainly be on a level with Mercedes, but what is very important is how long the driver can use that extra 160HP of the ERS system during a lap and I think they've made a huge leap there.
The Power of Dreams!

Dee
Dee

Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:20
Dee wrote:
etusch wrote:
First off, I think those 40 HP are a bit on the low end. By the way, it's not all about the HPs, because I am convinced that Honda will certainly be on a level with Mercedes, but what is very important is how long the driver can use that extra 160HP of the ERS system during a lap and I think they've made a huge leap there.
That sounds so promising! What have you read that gives you this indication?

Wouter

Dee wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 15:39
Wouter wrote:
Dee wrote:

Honda always introduced 25-35 HP with a new spec in 2019. Last season they were not allowed to change / upgrade a new spec. Behind the scenes, however, the engine was further developed. Add to that the development during the winter break and the fact that Honda is already going to use the even further developed 2022 engine, I think, again, I think that 40 HP is very on the low side.
And a better ERS performance is said by Honda people in newsarticles from the past week.
The Power of Dreams!

dren

I'm hearing Honda gained over 100hp to make up for the aero losses the Red Bull chassis took a hit on. Those 100hps are in and around the horsepower makin' area at the back of the car. This should put them on par with Mercedes, give or take some amount of power and track performance that's yet to be seen.
Honda!

Dee
Dee

Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:05
Dee wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Honda always introduced 25-35 HP with a new spec in 2019. Last season they were not allowed to change / upgrade a new spec. Behind the scenes, however, the engine was further developed. Add to that the development during the winter break and the fact that Honda is already going to use the even further developed 2022 engine, I think, again, I think that 40 HP is very on the low side.
And a better ERS performance is said by Honda people in newsarticles from the past week.
Didn't Honda introduce their Spec 2 2020 engine that was better in performance than 2019?

Wouter

Dee wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:39
Wouter wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:05
Dee wrote:

Didn't Honda introduce their Spec 2 2020 engine that was better in performance than 2019?
I don't understand what you mean / want to know / want to say.
Each new engine at the start of a new season is better than the last engine from the previous season.
The Power of Dreams!

_cerber1

dren wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 16:33
I'm hearing Honda gained over 100hp to make up for the aero losses the Red Bull chassis took a hit on. Those 100hps are in and around the horsepower makin' area at the back of the car. This should put them on par with Mercedes, give or take some amount of power and track performance that's yet to be seen.
Don't hold yourself back, 100, 200, 300 hp

Seriously, have you ever gone to the mountains, to a decent height? If yes, then you should understand that the higher you climb, the harder it is to take the next step, many stop without reaching the top. It's the same with motors, it is impossible to constantly increase the power. Each next increase in power will be much harder for you.

Sieper

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 19:45
dren wrote:

Seriously, have you ever gone to the mountains, to a decent height? If yes, then you should understand that the higher you climb, the harder it is to take the next step, many stop without reaching the top. It's the same with motors, it is impossible to constantly increase the power. Each next increase in power will be much harder for you.
Yeah, well. But Merc can do it last year. We will see. Soon enough.

Wouter

Sieper wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 20:36
_cerber1 wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 19:45
dren wrote:

Yeah, well. But Merc can do it last year. We will see. Soon enough.
@Sieper, @Dren was making a joke with the 100HP, a very good one I think. :-)
The Power of Dreams!

Snorked

Honda's F1 program killing CEO is retiring, is the new CEO an F1 fan and is it too late to reverse the decision to pullout? 😆

etusch

Snorked wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 21:19
Honda's F1 program killing CEO is retiring, is the new CEO an F1 fan and is it too late to reverse the decision to pullout? 😆
If the CEO is the only one who decide Honda's future. I think it is a board decision.

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 21:19
Thanks, I read this article yesterday:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/honda ... n-april-1/

Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo is going to step down and will be replaced by Toshihiro Mibe,
the carmaker’s head of R&D, on April 1.

Hachigo, who became Honda’s CEO in 2015, will remain on the carmaker’s board until June when he will retire from the company. Mibe has been the carmaker’s head of R&D since 2019 after joining Honda in 1987.

Mibe has been primarily focused on R&D, especially on Honda’s powertrain development, and since 2020 has been concurrently serving as the company’s Senior Managing Director as well.
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:
I will assume you are making tongue in cheek humour..

But the cars are said to be near 1050 hp or so.... And sruprisingly, with the way they are, I havent heard journalist mutter 1,100 yet! but the amount of times these 40hp and 50hp have been added each year one would think that they are at 1300hp by now! Lol. Which obv is not the case.

The truth is no one on the outside knows how much hosepower these cars have been adding. Honer might be blabbering off his mouth with figures.. But it was interesting that James Keys says the engines are much much closer than we think.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

Makes mental note. Horner blabbers Key speaks.