Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Bandit1216

Re: Red Bull RB16B

Holm86 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:20

There's definetly a lot of repackaging under the sidepods.
Look how sidepods slope down earlier, and pay attention to the white HONDA sticker, you can see how much the shape has changed at the back.
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 14:54
Just me, or is the undercut at the back even more aggressive? The picture is nicely darkenned out to either hide this or draw attention to it
It not you.

More coolers placed higher to make even more out of the floor/coke bottle area is my guess.
But just suppose it weren't hypothetical.

Blackout

Where did they use their tokens?
Edit:
Maybe on the rear suspenion pickup points. The 2021 lower wishbone seems to pass behind the pull rod

ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 13:16
Not gonna use studio pics to compare rake but it's interesting they're still sticking with high rake, although to be fair even if they wanted to switch concepts all the frozen components wouldn't allow them to do so effectively
How'd you know its still high rake? That image in the link looks like reduced rake to me
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

pierrre wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 15:12
looks like theyve moved the cape further back maybe to capture more y-250 vortex influence on it
The increased the undercut of the nose pylon, in an effort to guide air towards the cape.

I find it fascinating what they did with the bargeboards, a nice step up from last year showing how capable the people at RBR are.

Saishū kōnā

PowerandtheGlory

The rear undercut looks... suuuuper aggressive in these hi-res photos..
I think by adopting the new engine they have been able yo optimize this area perhaps..
Be good to see if thr AlphaTauri is just as aggressive here too..
I think RB may well have stolen a march on others...

Edit: yea ive looked the AlphaT looks almost as aggressive.. i guess alphaT would be using 2020 RB rear end, so we can compare last years RB - but with the new engine.. and tgis years rear and engine..
Last edited by PowerandtheGlory on 23 Feb 2021, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Blackout

Yeah it looks like they moved the rear wishbone lower arm back

Yes, they also raised the radiator hot air tunnel quite a lot
zioture wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 16:40
Last edited by Blackout on 23 Feb 2021, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Nicolas Carpentiers wrote:It looks like Red Bull Racing spent its tokens on the RB16B gearbox/suspension, as the lower wishbone now passes behind the pull rod (compare green arrows). Also, more vanes on the edge of the front floor (5 instead of 4).
Last edited by Morteza on 23 Feb 2021, 17:02, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SmallSoldier

Interesting that they seem to have ditched the latest version of the nose they run in Abu Dhabi, I thought they were going to further develop that concept:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KingLoe

Blackout wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 16:53
Yeah it looks like they moved the rear wishbone lower arm back

Yes, they also raised the radiator hot air tunnel quite a lot
The halo mount seems less integrated in the car than previous year seems more draggy to me

AbulafiaF1

One small question.. I don't know if anybody has spotted it yet, but I can't see the wastegate exhausts in the new exhaust arrangement. Any ideas? Apologies if this has already been answered.

maguetox

In this image the front wing is different, the tip of first wing of the "B" is detached of the main plane.

wogx

AbulafiaF1 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:26
One small question.. I don't know if anybody has spotted it yet, but I can't see the wastegate exhausts in the new exhaust arrangement. Any ideas? Apologies if this has already been answered.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

JordanMugen

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 16:50
The rear undercut looks... suuuuper aggressive in these hi-res photos..
You call these "hi-res" photos? :P I think Red Bull have been sneaky by not releasing any true high-res photos. No photos of the rear end or diffuser either it seems!

TimW

maguetox wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:29
In this image the front wing is different, the tip of first wing of the "B" is detached of the main plane.
The wing was already used in the last race of 2020:
, see e.g.:
godlameroso wrote:
16 Dec 2020, 18:25
pierrre wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 23:36
narrow pylons probably to bring pylon turbulence more to the center away from there the y-250 vortex works the cape, probably also not to disrupt the cape's forward opening angle
https://soymotor.com/sites/default/file ... ymotor.jpg

Probably why they added #3 to the front wing inboard edge. Strengthen Y250, to reduce cape turbulence from affecting it. Along with nose tweak and enlarging the cape, and adding the slot to the trailing edge of the cape to further reduce drag and the turbulence it induces. It's really amazing all those small changes working in unison. How much the car was developed but to us it just looks like tiny almost insignificant changes.
Don't know why these images were only in the McLaren thread:
f1rules wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 11:12
McL frontwings old(top) new(below) the new follow same trend as rb, who also launched a new version for max, where less elements attach to the y250 area and instead free float. I know we need believe in ourselves but its always to get confirmed by rb's that they follow same path for next year. Maybe both trying to strengthen the y250 to seal the floor because they cant rely on floor slits to help??
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoTQLQ9XcAA ... name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoTQLQ9XcAA ... name=large
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... erst-1.jpg
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... ed-b-1.jpg