2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 04:33
I personally don't care about how the drivers get along. As long as it's no worse that talirating each other and no colliding during races. I ignored the whole 2020 bromance. It's not why I watch F1.
I agree with the statement about the core F1. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the videos like no strings and enjoyed the silliness in unboxed. Its not the bottom line but it is good for bringing in fans and Mclarens image, which is good for sponsors. I don't mind seeing some of that again, as long as racing comes first.

Plus, Dando is pretty cool and we can call Fernando and Esteban "Fester" when they upset us on track
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Red Bull would of course be a pair of Pervers.

JRindt

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 09:43
Keeping the tradition of merging other power couple names together, our own F1 power couple could be called "Dando".
Or Laniel :lol:

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 09:56
diffuser wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 04:33
I personally don't care about how the drivers get along. As long as it's no worse that talirating each other and no colliding during races. I ignored the whole 2020 bromance. It's not why I watch F1.
I agree with the statement about the core F1. But I also thoroughly enjoyed the videos like no strings and enjoyed the silliness in unboxed. Its not the bottom line but it is good for bringing in fans and Mclarens image, which is good for sponsors. I don't mind seeing some of that again, as long as racing comes first.

Plus, Dando is pretty cool and we can call Fernando and Esteban "Fester" when they upset us on track
:D :lol: :lol: :D

Hammerfist

djos wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 23:16
Peter1919 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 14:12
djos wrote:
19 Feb 2021, 01:00
I know I’m being highly optimistic here, but I genuinely think Daniel now has the car to fight for places on the first two rows of the grid and be a regular podium finisher. I think Lando will be up there too.

Daniel is great at maximising opportunities, so I fully expect he can steal a Grand Prix win during the season too.
Last season maybe, but this season Ferrari should be more competitive and will have two fully engaged drviers and Redbull have a much better 2nd driver so making the top 4 in qualifiying and podium positions will IMHO be far harder this season than last
Mclaren have a better PU than both Ferrari and RedBull, and likely a better car than Ferrari imo.

Also, Perez isn’t the messiah, he’s just a very naughty boy.

Didn't Mclaren already concede that they haven't optimized the Merc PU transplant yet? And not only that, but development tokens have been spent in order to do the swap. The same tokens other teams have used to add performance to their car. It's only logical that Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order this year. Will not be shocked if they are only the 7th fastest team.

Chicane

You are wrong, McLaren will finish 10th this season. .
Quickshifter

Chicane

Chicane wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 05:11
Anyone who has downvoted this post must have some serious issues understanding a basic sarcasm. I hope anyone who has downvoted this will come out and say why he did so but i know he won't. All he had to do was go through my post history to see where my actual view stands with respect to McLaren.

I wish the mods did something about frivolous downvoting. I hope people realize that downvoting is not meant for posts you dislike rather for posts bringing the quality of the forum down.
Quickshifter

djos

Chicane wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 06:38
Chicane wrote:
Anyone who has downvoted this post must have some serious issues understanding a basic sarcasm. I hope anyone who has downvoted this will come out and say why he did so but i know he won't. All he had to do was go through my post history to see where my actual view stands with respect to McLaren.

I wish the mods did something about frivolous downvoting. I hope people realize that downvoting is not meant for posts you dislike rather for posts bringing the quality of the forum down.
Perhaps you should add a "/s" so that ppl know your are using sarcasm?
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect

Hammerfist wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 02:39
djos wrote:
Peter1919 wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 14:12

Last season maybe, but this season Ferrari should be more competitive and will have two fully engaged drviers and Redbull have a much better 2nd driver so making the top 4 in qualifiying and podium positions will IMHO be far harder this season than last
Mclaren have a better PU than both Ferrari and RedBull, and likely a better car than Ferrari imo.

Didn't Mclaren already concede that they haven't optimized the Merc PU transplant yet? And not only that, but development tokens have been spent in order to do the swap. The same tokens other teams have used to add performance to their car. It's only logical that Mclaren will fall back in the pecking order this year. Will not be shocked if they are only the 7th fastest team.
Optimised is relative in my opinion. So far, Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri have used their tokens on a new nose, which McLaren already switched to last year and have collected loads of data on it already, so they won’t be compromised on the front end. McLaren actually did more than 2 tokens worth of changes to get the PU installed, and seeing what they’ve done, they achieved a lot packaging wise, aside from the obvious power benefits of the Mercedes PU. The media pundits are saying/hoping Red Bull will be take the fight to Mercedes this year, and they’re largely basing it on their Abu Dhabi performance. If we go by that, which team had the 3rd best car in Abu Dhabi? I’m pretty certain the MCL35M is a better race car.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mwillems

Ground Effect wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 08:42
Hammerfist wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 02:39
djos wrote:

Optimised is relative in my opinion. So far, Alfa Romeo and Alpha Tauri have used their tokens on a new nose, which McLaren already switched to last year and have collected loads of data on it already, so they won’t be compromised on the front end. McLaren actually did more than 2 tokens worth of changes to get the PU installed, and seeing what they’ve done, they achieved a lot packaging wise, aside from the obvious power benefits of the Mercedes PU. The media pundits are saying/hoping Red Bull will be take the fight to Mercedes this year, and they’re largely basing it on their Abu Dhabi performance. If we go by that, which team had the 3rd best car in Abu Dhabi? I’m pretty certain the MCL35M is a better race car.
I do agree with this. Whilst it is not possible to say we have definately run away with it and gained a huge amount of time from the front runners, I do think it is a stretch to suggest that these regs definitely haven't worked in our favour.

It isn't just the engine, or the aero, it is the ability to extend the wheelbase too in a time when a larger floor can be beneficial, improve the cooling layout. There are upwards of 6 tokens of work on this car.

I've seen a lot of contradictions from Mclaren about how the token system can affect them, how limited they are and how some changes couldn't be for performance but had to be required in order to get the engine shoe horned in. I saw statements from Zak brown about how they will only really take an advantage from the engine, but that it is an upgrade in itself so he's OK. I saw James key saying the changes were largely functional and to get the engine, and in another where he started an interview saying he had to compromise, and ended it saying he didn't feel like they had to comproimise too much on performance.

But then you look at that car and that car contradicts those statements. I don't see too much in compromise with the FIA and I don't see anything that suggests we haven't been able to take a huge amount of advantage from the packaging of the Merc engine, as they had previously said. I'm sure they could do some more, but I mean the dress size reduction on that car is akin to a crash diet (forgive the pun). If this is a compromise then the solution that might have been created without token restriction must have been magnificent.

I'm not so sure that Mclaren weren't playing a little gamesmanship as they negotiated with the FIA and I think that part fueled this "poor Mclaren" feeling, when in reality, with the ability to alter the wheelbase, the engine, the packaging and the aero, our scope for change is enormous compared to the other teams. We should be able to use it right and gain a lot of time. It doesn't mean we have, but with that scope, the potential was there for Mclaren to gain a lot of speed this season, in albeit a throwaway season.

adrianjordan

Just to throw some healthy cynicism into the mix, might Liberty Media and the FIA have allowed McLaren more leaway in the hopes of creating a 3 way battle at the front to spice up the show.... 🤔 /s
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

proteus

adrianjordan wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 09:36
Just to throw some healthy cynicism into the mix, might Liberty Media and the FIA have allowed McLaren more leaway in the hopes of creating a 3 way battle at the front to spice up the show.... 🤔 /s
They did this for Mercedes 😁
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 06:48
Chicane wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 06:38
Chicane wrote:

Perhaps you should add a "/s" so that ppl know your are using sarcasm?
In my experience sarcasm doesnt go down too well here either, and this is not me being sarcastic now, not at all, in any way, ever...
Oh... sugar.. #-o
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

djos

It’s very easy to mistake sarcasm for trolling online, especially if the poster is unfamiliar to you.
"In downforce we trust"