Red Bull RB16B

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Samsthepits

Re: Red Bull RB16B

If you live quite close to Scarbs, you live quite close to me too.

ryaan2904

JPower wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 22:47
ryaan2904 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 21:00

Redbull have gone the merc way with the reversed rear suspension
I think Ferrari will be doing the same. Let's see who gets it right...
Yeah same :)
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Racer X

Edit*** sorry guys i had not read anything about the car yet.

I only watched the YouTube video from RedBull over and over and it seems they did infact change the rear end suspension. Edit*****

Okey so I can see a change in the geometry of the suspension something similar to the Mercedes of 2020 so I'm guessing this will help the car be more stable when it comes to Mechanical grip. That said I wonder if this has been done with input from Sergio. This should make Max even faster if he doesn't need to fight with the car as much when exiting a corner. It should help them have a balanced rear end.

Perez mentioned early on talks with Adrian about the next year car already. I thought it was just propaganda but I see they adapted a Mercedes like suspension. WOW he brought his insight with him definitely. It's going to be nice to see Max and Perez with a balanced car. This is good for Max they weren't lying when they said Perez helps a lot with car development because of the type of feedback he gives. Wow....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

senja

Perez didn't race with Mercedes 2020 rear suspension. Aston Martin will get it.

Blackout

Racer X wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 06:21
Okey so I can see a change in the geometry of the suspension something similar to the Mercedes of 2020 so I'm guessing this will help the car be more stable when it comes to Mechanical grip.
It must be for aerodynamic reasons. I dont think teams can improve the suspensions a lot, without changeing the inboard suspensions*, and just by moving a wishbone
*inboard suspension changes cost two additional tokens.

Regarding Merc, their layout is still cleaner, since they got the pullrod too out of the way, a bit like this
(then again, moving the pull rod would need inboard suspension changes too so + 2 tokens)
(modified Scarbs drawing)

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LM10

Racer X wrote:
Edit*** sorry guys i had not read anything about the car yet.

I only watched the YouTube video from RedBull over and over and it seems they did infact change the rear end suspension. Edit*****

Okey so I can see a change in the geometry of the suspension something similar to the Mercedes of 2020 so I'm guessing this will help the car be more stable when it comes to Mechanical grip. That said I wonder if this has been done with input from Sergio. This should make Max even faster if he doesn't need to fight with the car as much when exiting a corner. It should help them have a balanced rear end.

Perez mentioned early on talks with Adrian about the next year car already. I thought it was just propaganda but I see they adapted a Mercedes like suspension. WOW he brought his insight with him definitely. It's going to be nice to see Max and Perez with a balanced car. This is good for Max they weren't lying when they said Perez helps a lot with car development because of the type of feedback he gives. Wow....
Mercedes had their suspension layout for aerodynamic reasons, not because of mechanical grip.

As for Perez bringing the idea: His car didn’t have this feature yet. I’m sure by the time Perez talked to Adrian for the first time, Redbull had already decided to implement it themselves.

Raleigh

senja wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 07:13
Racing Point got the 2020 W11 rear suspension with their mid-season update so Perez has driven with the W11 suspension on his RP20.

Racer X

Blackout wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 07:22
Racer X wrote:
Okey so I can see a change in the geometry of the suspension something similar to the Mercedes of 2020 so I'm guessing this will help the car be more stable when it comes to Mechanical grip.
It must be for aerodynamic reasons. I dont think teams can improve the suspensions a lot, without changeing the inboard suspensions*, and just by moving a wishbone
Well it seems they managed to do it so im guessing they either did use 2 tokens or magically did it in a way that does not use 2 tokens.

senja wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 07:13
Yes he did they had the old set up from 2019 at the start of the season but they got upgrades during the midseason. So hes been driving that for a while.

I will admit one thing i might have been a bit gullible when believing that propaganda of Perez influencing the car from day 1. You guys are right they probably decided late last season to bring that into this season and are using this opportunity to hype up Perez.

However I can understand why they had Perez take the initial first day with the car on their promotional run.
They probably want to get his feedback to compare their suspension to the one he drove with Racing point im assuming.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

henry

LM10 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 09:18

Mercedes had their suspension layout for aerodynamic reasons, not because of mechanical grip.
The change in the wishbone layout was aero, but their pull-rod positioning gives a better motion ratio than the extreme forward angle on the Red Bull. How much this translates to mechanical grip I don’t know, but I’d expect it to be easier to manage if more difficult to package.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

LM10

henry wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:22
LM10 wrote:

The change in the wishbone layout was aero, but their pull-rod positioning gives a better motion ratio than the extreme forward angle on the Red Bull. How much this translates to mechanical grip I don’t know, but I’d expect it to be easier to manage if more difficult to package.
That's interesting! Thank you for that info.

Blackout

Racer X wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 10:46
Blackout wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 07:22
Racer X wrote:
Well it seems they managed to do it so im guessing they either did use 2 tokens or magically did it in a way that does not use 2 tokens.
They used the two tokens to modify the Gbox carrier in order to change the wishbones pickup points and angles for aero reasons, most probably.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

ME4ME

henry wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:22
LM10 wrote:

If we assume that the wishbones have a finite stiffness constant, there will inevitibly be some forward/rearward deformation when the wheel either wants to go forward in relation to the car (acceleration) or rearward (braking).

Mercedes' neutrally placed pull-rod doesn't really mess with that much. But Red Bulls much more forward angled pull rod would. A slight forward or rearward motion of the wheel would manipulate the rear ride height.

I think the effect of this would be the rear squatting on acceleration and the car slightly diving on braking. I think this would be desirable. But I could be wrong.