McLaren MCL35M

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JordanMugen

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Erroneous double post.

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:So, I know it’s early to say much as we have only had 3 car launches but Alfa and Alpha have spent their tokens on the front end to counter the loss of rear downforce due to the smaller floor. Mclaren have had to spend their tokens on the rear to fit the Merc. Will this hamper their aero performance do we think?
I’m interested to see where the others spend their tokens, Red Bull will give us more of an idea tomorrow
The introduction of the new nose last year was thinking about 2021... They had to introduce it early because of the lack of tokens for that purpose, internal changes to the suspension may have also been introduced last season.

As a matter of fact, the performance of the MCL35 may have been hampered by the introduction of the new nose (and other parts intended for the MCL35M) since they weren’t developed specifically for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

McFAN wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 18:27
Good graphic highlighting the changes
Probably a more accurate reflection of the change to wheelbase
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/a ... n-mcl.jpg
That definitely looks more like the proportions you'd expect.

Do you have a link to the source?
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

McFAN

mwillems wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 01:42
McFAN wrote:
That definitely looks more like the proportions you'd expect.

Do you have a link to the source?
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcl ... 418017/

McFAN

DiogoBrand wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 22:31
McFAN wrote:
I've seen people talking before about how the cooling openings are a new thing. Aren't teams able to open and close those as needed on pretty much all the cars?
From Giorgio Piola on motorsport.com

" The mercedes-AMG M12 powerunit has different cooling demands when compared with the Renault E-Tech 20. As a consequence, along with some repackaging of the radiators and associated ancillaries, the cooling layout has been altered. The louvred panel beside the cockpit is larger than before, but it’s also more contoured to suit the shape of the sidepod which now falls away more abruptly."

mclaren111

Frontal view of Bargeboard & Sidepod...

michl420

Any ideas for what that bulge behind the HALO rear mounting is? Similar to red bull last and this year. I guess aerodynmic or a later coming air outlet.

mclaren111

michl420 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:23
Any ideas for what that bulge behind the HALO rear mounting is? Similar to red bull last and this year. I guess aerodynmic or a later coming air outlet.

This one ?? Good question...

FittingMechanics

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:42
michl420 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuTFEPZXUAk ... =4096x4096

I have no idea, but my guess was that it was the "suboptimal packaging" that James Key mentioned. Changing this part of the chassis was not necessary to mount the engine so FIA did not allow McLaren to remove it. Mercedes doesn't have anything behind it so McLaren is stuck with this small bulge.

On the other hand, it seems Red Bull has it as well so that theory goes out of the window (except if Honda reduced their engine footprint as well).

McFAN

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 13:02
mclaren111 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 11:42
michl420 wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EuTFEPZXUAk ... =4096x4096

I have no idea, but my guess was that it was the "suboptimal packaging" that James Key mentioned. Changing this part of the chassis was not necessary to mount the engine so FIA did not allow McLaren to remove it. Mercedes doesn't have anything behind it so McLaren is stuck with this small bulge.

On the other hand, it seems Red Bull has it as well so that theory goes out of the window (except if Honda reduced their engine footprint as well).
Very similar indeed,
interesting.

f1rules

love that the boss himself surpervise that his "baby" is delivered correctly and safely for the launch

really is a nice agressive ramp they did

CjC
CjC

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 23:22
CjC wrote:So, I know it’s early to say much as we have only had 3 car launches but Alfa and Alpha have spent their tokens on the front end to counter the loss of rear downforce due to the smaller floor. Mclaren have had to spend their tokens on the rear to fit the Merc. Will this hamper their aero performance do we think?
I’m interested to see where the others spend their tokens, Red Bull will give us more of an idea tomorrow
The introduction of the new nose last year was thinking about 2021... They had to introduce it early because of the lack of tokens for that purpose, internal changes to the suspension may have also been introduced last season.

As a matter of fact, the performance of the MCL35 may have been hampered by the introduction of the new nose (and other parts intended for the MCL35M) since they weren’t developed specifically for it.

Yes and I’ve just seen Alpha new slim nose, I thought they were going to use the same nose as last year which is on the launch pictures, I hadn’t realised they were hiding it from us #-o :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

SmallSoldier

CjC wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 23:22

Yes and I’ve just seen Alpha new slim nose, I thought they were going to use the same nose as last year which is on the launch pictures, I hadn’t realised they were hiding it from us #-o :lol:
I’m sure we will see a lot of new parts come testing, I would be surprised if Mclaren’s front wing doesn’t change by then for example, as well as new elements on the floor.

The practice of teams keeping things close to their chest until the last possible minute won’t change in F1

SmallSoldier

Mclaren Unboxed

_cerber1

They do not want to show us the side deflectors and diffuser at all :(