2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Ringleheim wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 18:39
You would think a team of Ferrari's pedigree and history would have the organizational tree worked out by now, but apparently not.

Let's hope they get it right this time. These changes are probably a good thing. It seems like there was room for improvement in this area!

Also can't wait for Ferrari to get back into sports car racing for 2023 and beyond.

The 2023 24 Hours of LeMans will be cool; lots of big factory participation is coming back.
We are entering an era of budget restrictions, it's a given that teams like Ferrari would need to go through major restructuring, pay cuts, putting people to other sectors of the company... to adapt to these regulations.

JPower

Ringleheim wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 18:39
You would think a team of Ferrari's pedigree and history would have the organizational tree worked out by now, but apparently not.

Let's hope they get it right this time. These changes are probably a good thing. It seems like there was room for improvement in this area!

Also can't wait for Ferrari to get back into sports car racing for 2023 and beyond.

The 2023 24 Hours of LeMans will be cool; lots of big factory participation is coming back.
Companies re-org constantly. They change like the weather.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

LM10

Binotto does not think that straight line speed will be an issue anymore. What's more, he tells that Ferrari will focus on the 2022 car during the season. It will be the main target.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15522 ... line-speed

Schippke

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrari-t ... jE5ym4Vx60
The report from Formu1a.uno says that “after the questionable orange-red of the SF90 [2019 car] and the red that was more faithful to the tradition of the SF1000, the new SF21 will have a double shade of tone while remaining opaque and with a red that will become, from the bottom up, tending to a darker red similar to GP Mugello 1000”.
Might be a case of take with a grain of salt, but could be in for somewhat a surprise with the livery at least...

Sevach

mika vs michael

I think that all great drivers have a signature helmet. ok changing colours a bit but keep the same design.
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

Morteza

Jolle

I admire the faith many Ferrari fans have on here, but in reality Ferrari might be the one that will be hit the most with the cost cap.

The whole organisation is used to throw almost unlimited resources and money towards any problem they encounter. This is a structural thing within the organisation. McLaren had the same attitude when it was part of PMI, Daimler and later Honda, when they were cut loose and had a budget, they needed a big restructure to work in a different manner and have different goals. Ferrari will have to do the same (as will RedBull and Mercedes of course). The difference between the top two and Ferrari is that Ferrari hasn't been stable for years and their current platform isn't that developed. Their engine design needs a major upgrade and was last year clearly last on the grid, their chassis looks like a car from three years ago and there is openly criticism on the people in charge.

This mindset and change of structure takes time, which there isn't any before 2022. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari is stuck between McLaren and Aston Martin (and possible Renault) for the foreseeable future.

The cost cap takes away Ferrari's biggest strong point: the "by any means possible"

Seanspeed

Jolle wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 20:32
I admire the faith many Ferrari fans have on here, but in reality Ferrari might be the one that will be hit the most with the cost cap.

The whole organisation is used to throw almost unlimited resources and money towards any problem they encounter. This is a structural thing within the organisation. McLaren had the same attitude when it was part of PMI, Daimler and later Honda, when they were cut loose and had a budget, they needed a big restructure to work in a different manner and have different goals. Ferrari will have to do the same (as will RedBull and Mercedes of course). The difference between the top two and Ferrari is that Ferrari hasn't been stable for years and their current platform isn't that developed. Their engine design needs a major upgrade and was last year clearly last on the grid, their chassis looks like a car from three years ago and there is openly criticism on the people in charge.

This mindset and change of structure takes time, which there isn't any before 2022. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Ferrari is stuck between McLaren and Aston Martin (and possible Renault) for the foreseeable future.

The cost cap takes away Ferrari's biggest strong point: the "by any means possible"
It's also not very confidence inspiring to have Binotto leading the team in such an incredibly critical transition stage. I like Binotto a lot, but fear his expertise was best utilized in his previous role and not as team principal, much like how in the NFL, offensive coordinators can be amazing at their job and then fail totally at the head coaching position since they have so many other responsibilities and cant focus on what they do best anymore.

I do expect a step forward from Ferrari this season, at least to some degree, since last season was quite pitiful, but yea, they're coming from quite far back in basically every respect and nobody should be expecting them to step back into the fray as regular podium contenders. But a step forward is still needed, just to prove to themselves they can move in the right direction.

As for 2022, that's pretty uncertain. I still wouldn't bet a single penny on Mercedes not being well ahead of everybody, but it should also provide some surprises. Easy enough to just look at the season before and expect a continuation of that, or to write Ferrari's chances of having a good car off completely, but 2017 also showed the team is capable of being one of these surprises, under leadership nobody expected to be able to do anything. So we'll see. I'm not making any predictions.

f1rules

Rumor of binotto out

LM10

Jolle wrote:

Change of mindset and structures have been there not only a couple of months ago, but almost 2 years ago. 2021 will be another season they can focus on getting better as a team. Binotto has told numerous times that he believes in his team and doesn’t want to change it in a significant way as it has been the Ferrari way back then.

Their engine design has gotten a major upgrade already.
Also the fact their chassis consists of quite outdated concepts will have zero relevance come 2022.

Don’t forget that Mercedes have not done anything different than Ferrari regarding unlimited resources. Have they shown they can do it with a cost cap in action? No, so we will see together what’s going to happen.

MachineCo.

from where did these rumors come from?

Jolle

LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 22:09
Jolle wrote:

Change of mindset and structures have been there not only a couple of months ago, but almost 2 years ago. 2021 will be another season they can focus on getting better as a team. Binotto has told numerous times that he believes in his team and doesn’t want to change it in a significant way as it has been the Ferrari way back then.

Their engine design has gotten a major upgrade already.
Also the fact their chassis consists of quite outdated concepts will have zero relevance come 2022.

Don’t forget that Mercedes have not done anything different than Ferrari regarding unlimited resources. Have they shown they can do it with a cost cap in action? No, so we will see together what’s going to happen.
Mercedes and Redbull have a stable structure, which is always easier to transform. Even on an engineering level, Ferrari brought several updates the past few years that worked less then anticipated. With the cost cap these will be extremely expensive.

As for the engine. All the other manufacturers also had a big upgrade. It’s not logical that they can suddenly find the 50hp on top of the normal development cycle if they couldn’t find that two years ago.

But, we’ll see in a bit over a year.