2021 FIM MotoGP WC

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Cuky

Re: 2021 FIM MotoGP WC

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 12:03
Thats if Marc is fit. He's now missing the Qatar test, so his first time on the bike would be at the first round.
Will he be present at first test, just not riding? I thought that they moved the test there to a later date so that everyone can remain in Qatar to prevent what happened last year when they all went home after testing and then couldn't get back because of different restrictions around the world.

Oh, that is horrible news about Gresini :( RIP

Andres125sx

Cuky wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 11:51
I have to correct my last post. Petronas Yamaha is not the next one to show us their bikes, it's actually Pramac Ducati on 25th.
etusch wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 20:51
I hope he will be ok with bike. It is not good to see other riders struggle too much with Honda bike.
I know that it may sound bad but I actually hope that he'll struggle. If he's ok with the bike from the get go that means that Honda finally addressed that issue and Marc would probably win the title in a record time. I don't mind Marc winning again this year, I just want it to be exciting fight for the title. If I want to watch someone dominate I turn on F1 and Mercedes
I think it´s the contrary actually. IMHO Honda, like any other manufacturer with a long term champion, build and setup the bike for Marc style, wich is extremelly agressive, wich is the reason any other rider whos is not that agressive struggle with the bike. Pedrosa suffered that, Lorenzo even more, and actually every single rider who tried that Honda in Marc era.

Past season with Marc out Alex did some good results wich may be a change in direction from Honda to adapt to their current riders, so I think if Pol is comfortable with the bike that will be because Honda kept that direction so the bike is not made only for Marc style, and Marc will suffer a bit more (more interesting championship)

But if Pol struggle with the bike that will mean it is again Marc bike at 100% and once he´s recovered he´ll again win it easily. Or that´s my feeling at least

etusch

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 14:17

I think it´s the contrary actually. IMHO Honda, like any other manufacturer with a long term champion, build and setup the bike for Marc style, wich is extremelly agressive, wich is the reason any other rider whos is not that agressive struggle with the bike. Pedrosa suffered that, Lorenzo even more, and actually every single rider who tried that Honda in Marc era.

Past season with Marc out Alex did some good results wich may be a change in direction from Honda to adapt to their current riders, so I think if Pol is comfortable with the bike that will be because Honda kept that direction so the bike is not made only for Marc style, and Marc will suffer a bit more (more interesting championship)

But if Pol struggle with the bike that will mean it is again Marc bike at 100% and once he´s recovered he´ll again win it easily. Or that´s my feeling at least
I don't think that not honda nor Marquez likes to have a bike so hard to go fast with. But as a Honda way ( and off course a race rider style too) , I think they are always aiming to produce a prototype at the edge. When I remember first year MM in motogp, Honda bike was easier to ride so even Pedrosa was riding well. With that bike it was easier for Marquez too, to go fast with, and going fast has less risq which is very important for marquez style. If bike gives confidence he will push harder. Now it has additional benefit for MM. He can push without a crash so he can be safe too.

Cuky

I was always of thought that Honda being hard to ride fast is not something Marc likes but it is his talent and training that makes it easier for him than others to adapt to that. It was he who brought in revolution in MotoGP riding styles with leaning far more than before, hanging way off from the bike and sliding the back wheel into the corners.

Pramac Ducati with Johann Zarco and Jorge Martin:

This is one team that I am very pleased to see to continue basically the same livery as last year. Ever since they switched to red, white and blue in 2016. their liveries got better and better with each season. And for me personally the current design they started using in 2019 is the best one.

As for their riders I don't really care for Zarco tbh. He has shown that he can be very fast on his day, but I think that he is just too inconsistent. On the other hand I really hope that Martin will do fine in his rookie season. He had a real shot at the championship last year before being struck by covid, so it would be nice to see him have a problem free season.

FrukostScones

ZARCO!
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

rscsr

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 14:17
Cuky wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 11:51
I have to correct my last post. Petronas Yamaha is not the next one to show us their bikes, it's actually Pramac Ducati on 25th.
etusch wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 20:51
I hope he will be ok with bike. It is not good to see other riders struggle too much with Honda bike.
I know that it may sound bad but I actually hope that he'll struggle. If he's ok with the bike from the get go that means that Honda finally addressed that issue and Marc would probably win the title in a record time. I don't mind Marc winning again this year, I just want it to be exciting fight for the title. If I want to watch someone dominate I turn on F1 and Mercedes

I don't think that they have a particularly hard bike to ride. Especially not one that only works for MM. If you look who was riding for them before MM and after provides a clear picture that it is more a rider and perception problem and less of a bike problem. Maybe a slower bike, but I don't think a harder bike.

In the year 2011 they had Stoner(1st), Pedrosa(4th), Dovizioso(3rd) and Simoncelli(6th). With Yamaha's serious riders in the places inbetween and Ducati a bad bike.
In 2012 there were 11! actual MotoGP bikes. And Honda had Stoner (3rd) and Pedrosa (2nd) in the championship. Both without a question very good riders. And the other 2 riders were Bautista (5th) and Bradl (8th). So the good riders were good and the bad riders were bad.
In 2013 MM(1st) and Pedrosa(3rd) with Bautista(6th) and Bradl(7th). Again with 11 MotoGP bikes.
In 2014 MM(1st) and Pedrosa(4th) with Bautista(11th) and Bradl(9th). The difference 2 Ducatis that didn't suck too much. And with better open bikes.
In 2015 MM(3rd) and Pedrosa(4th) with Crutchlow(8th) and Redding(13th). The difference 2 Suzukis and an additional serious Ducati.
From 2016 onwards the results of the non-MM riders were basically the same, with serious bikes and riders from the other additional manufacturers.
To summarize:
- 2nd rider (Pedrosa): 4 2 3 4 - 4 6 4 11 - Lorenzo - 19
- 3rd rider: 3 5 6 9 - Crutchlow - 8 7 9 7 9
- 4th rider: 6 8 7 11 13 - Miller - 18 11 15 13

So if the bike should have gotten harder to ride since MM got there, why did especially CC stay on the Honda at the same position. And at that point he was already in his 5th season. And the other especially bad results were Miller as 18th, when he was put directly from Moto3 to MotoGP. And Lorenzo who was very particular in his driving and requirements anyway.
And all that with 5 serious bikes and probably 8 serious teams in 2019.

FrukostScones

I think MotoGP engineers display even more "technical" arrogance than they do in the F1 circus.
I have no idea how they can justify progess while making their bikes slower or harder to ride yet keeping their ears closed to riders complaints...
It might be theoretically faster but if you need a Marquez or Stoner to exploit it then....

What is the point of losing by progress? Selling road bikes?
Maybe that is... because Motobike racing is still about selling bikes to the average guy? Or what do I miss?

here and old story of 2016 Yamaha (being best according to Vinales recently)....
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... 2/4926234/

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... stark.html

For me it seems Suzuki (do they listen?) has not this problem and Morbidelli should also be there with his old machine.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

etusch

Cuky

Petronas Yamaha SRT

If I am not mistaken that is Morbidelli still with 2019 M1 and Rossi has the 2021 model. Even though it sounds like a disadvantage for Morbidelli his 2019 M1 seemed to be a better bike last year than 2020 M1 that other 3 Yamaha riders had.

etusch

Cuky

New Aprilia livery

Cuky

And the latest MotoGP bike to be revealed, the defending champions Ecstar Suzuki. There is one significant addition to their sponsors portfolio and that is Monster Energy. They are really stretching their reach on MotoGP grid. Their logos are now on both Yamaha teams, Suzuki and VR46 Ducati.

This season really has a great looking grid livery wise. Only two letdowns in my opinion are Aprilia and barely visible number on Espargaro's Honda

EDIT: Nice tribute to their recently deceased boss

Few more photos from today (credits: MotoGP Facebook page)

etusch

Top 10 Day 1:
1. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) – 1:54.687
2. Stefan Bradl (Honda Test Team) + 0.256
3. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.293
4. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) + 0.335
5. Miguel Oliveira (Red Bull KTM Factory Racing) + 0.397
6. Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) + 0.423
7. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) + 0.487
8. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) + 0.511
9. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) + 0.572
10. Alex Marquez (LCR Honda Castrol) + 0.591

Cuky

Top 10 day 2:
1. Fabio Quartararo (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP)
2. Jack Miller (Ducati Lenovo Team) +0.077
3. Aleix Espargaro (Aprilia Racing Team Gresini) +0.212
4. Franco Morbidelli (Petronas Yamaha SRT) +0.213
5. Stefan Bradl (Honda Test Team) +0.270
6. Johann Zarco (Pramac Racing) +0.416
7. Maverick Viñales (Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP) +0.455
8. Joan Mir (Team Suzuki Ecstar) +0.575
9. Francesco Bagnaia (Ducati Lenovo Team) +0.711
10. Alex Rins (Team Suzuki Ecstar) +0.718

etusch